Pros and Cons of all recent sled Brands

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not brand loyal at all anymore and have now owned them all over the years. Curious what genuine reviews are for brands you have spent at least a full day on. I’ve spent full days on 850 doo, C tech (current sled),and sidewinder, only been on Polaris for minutes so can’t say. 850 is easily the friendliest sled to jump on and ride I still believe this. Cons belt blowing was legit problem and the machines seem to use a lot more oil than other sleds no matter how many I see the torsion spring design on rear skid gets sacked out quickly. I put 2700km on a 2017 sidewinder sled was incredibly fun to ride for a 4 stroke insta boost throttle response as good as exists on any turbo. Yammie motors might literally last forever. Cons the really deep days the big machine didn’t float that great later years these sleds got a lockout shock to get up on plane and it helped but even with 200hp I felt it was necessary to go to 250 with tunes to make it float and climb. The big machines also needed a time out more than others on deep days I found clutching was hotter and I did everything from adjusting centres to spec, adjusting angle of wrap on secondary played with springs ect. Onto the 2018 Ctec Cat so far the pros adjustable shocks all around(I use them way more than I thought for bumpy trail and also deep alpine). From what I’ve seen putting 500km on it last spring I could not make that thing blow a belt hold it to the bar on warm heavy spring days do dognuts on lake and go climb heavy wet snow and clutching was warm not hot. Cons the running boards are designed for a child’s foot and the intake had to be sealed because of large gaps.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not brand loyal at all anymore and have now owned them all over the years. Curious what genuine reviews are for brands you have spent at least a full day on. I’ve spent full days on 850 doo, C tech (current sled),and sidewinder, only been on Polaris for minutes so can’t say. 850 is easily the friendliest sled to jump on and ride I still believe this. Cons belt blowing was legit problem and the machines seem to use a lot more oil than other sleds no matter how many I see the torsion spring design on rear skid gets sacked out quickly. I put 2700km on a 2017 sidewinder sled was incredibly fun to ride for a 4 stroke insta boost throttle response as good as exists on any turbo. Yammie motors might literally last forever. Cons the really deep days the big machine didn’t float that great later years these sleds got a lockout shock to get up on plane and it helped but even with 200hp I felt it was necessary to go to 250 with tunes to make it float and climb. The big machines also needed a time out more than others on deep days I found clutching was hotter and I did everything from adjusting centres to spec, adjusting angle of wrap on secondary played with springs ect. Onto the 2018 Ctec Cat so far the pros adjustable shocks all around(I use them way more than I thought for bumpy trail and also deep alpine). From what I’ve seen putting 500km on it last spring I could not make that thing blow a belt hold it to the bar on warm heavy spring days do dognuts on lake and go climb heavy wet snow and clutching was warm not hot. Cons the running boards are designed for a child’s foot and the intake had to be sealed because of large gaps.
You pretty much summed up the current marked place.

850 doo
-strong engine
- ****ty track, falls apart.
- torsion springs, good for wheelies not steep nor deep.
- shocks are junk.
-has been know to consume belts
- likes oil, handy LINQ tank
-bulk head has a glass jaw
-shot is awesome
-quebec owned.

850 polaris
- weak engine(or maybe just track?)
-3" track is junk
-2.6 isn't much better
-decent suspension
-very nimble.

Cat 2018+
- strong engine.
- clutching calibration is good.
- clutch may grenade, not good.
- qsl suspension is handy.
- best 3" track available.
- alpha rails cracks
- hope they bring back a twin rail sled.
-sips oil
- not available in season :(

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!

850 doo
-strong engine
- shocks are junk.
-shot is awesome
-quebec owned.

850 polaris
-3" track is junk
-2.6 isn't much better
-decent suspension
-very nimble.

Cat 2018+
- strong engine.
- alpha rails cracks
-sips oil

A lot of good points. I think all 3 engines are junk tho. Great inginuity, not so great reliability.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of good points. I think all 3 engines are junk tho. Great inginuity, not so great reliability.
But to have the power numbers, there on the bitter line all the time

No different the duramax engines from 01 to 2016. Base block and heads the same, turbos, fuel injection differences made way more power, but took reliability out, especially the emissions crap put on

Same as sled engines, noise, epa keep fuel and oil lower, right at the point of aluminum melting mid range

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree.
I think it is planned obsolescence.
Probably wouldn't buy a new sled every other year if the engines lasted forever.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I agree.
I think it is planned obsolescence.
Probably wouldn't buy a new sled every other year if the engines lasted forever.
I know right? I’m loving the 800 Etec more each time a new engine comes out.

In my experience the magic number for reliability is 75hp/cylinder. 150hp for a twin, 600hp for a v8. Above that it’s in sketchy zone and 80hp is on the edge if not a little over the edge. The Doo 800Etec is an anomaly. All engines should personally aspire to be like the 800Etec.

Last edited:

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 2016 Axys Assault 155 ES.

No chain case drain plug
Track needs to be fully clipped from new to avoid premature wear.

Other than that, 1400kms trouble free.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

850 doo
-strong engine
- shocks are junk.
-shot is awesome
-quebec owned.

850 polaris
-3" track is junk
-2.6 isn't much better
-decent suspension
-very nimble.

Cat 2018+
- strong engine.
- alpha rails cracks
-sips oil

850 doo strong engine power wise and killer throttle response but seen a ton of 17s and 18s go through motors

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But to have the power numbers, there on the bitter line all the time

No different the duramax engines from 01 to 2016. Base block and heads the same, turbos, fuel injection differences made way more power, but took reliability out, especially the emissions crap put on

Same as sled engines, noise, epa keep fuel and oil lower, right at the point of aluminum melting mid range

Interesting but very true only issue I had in newer duramax was emissions garbage. As far as sleds go I do think they really try to push the limit these days and that’s great but defiantly give up reliability. What else do you own that you drive around pinned for minutes at at time though I don’t know what compares to high performance mountain sleds.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm new to sledding and like to climb some steep hills on my doo though.

how exactly are torsion springs bad for steep or deep?

how is a coil over going to make me the baddest chute climber in revy?

thanks

You should throw some trailing arms on your 850 to match the 1996 torsion spring technology!! Maybe cut your paddles off and bolt on some plastic ones. Hell might as well just throw efi in garbage and bang on some carburetors that was great too. The rest of us will admit when something is decent even if on another brand.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should throw some trailing arms on your 850 to match the 1996 torsion spring technology!! Maybe cut your paddles off and bolt on some plastic ones. Hell might as well just throw efi in garbage and bang on some carburetors that was great too. The rest of us will admit when something is decent even if on another brand.

Oh, so its just better cause you say it is? Thats the explanation I was expecting lol

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh, so its just better cause you say it is? Thats the explanation I was expecting lol

I love the squatting dog look it’s so awesome that 4 inches of lost travel is so plush sometimes I take 80psi out of my rear shock and make it as soft as possible so I can “doo”sweet wheelies

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check this out. I had a coil on my doo. Went back to torsion springs. Noo sag at all ....

DSCF7053.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I spose you are not in the cool kid, coil over spring club.

I like the torsion spring club we are in. I tried the torsion delete on a doo and did not like it . Lol

Top Bottom