PRO RMK 30 Pulls to Start

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some clarification on a friend's RMK which is a 2019 or 2020 model. Went out the other day and the sled in question started and ran fine for half the day until we stopped for about 20 minutes at which point the sled wouldn't start. We pulled the plugs and they looked fine but changed them out anyway and they were getting a good spark. We could also smell unburned gas as we pulled on the start rope so we knew it was getting fuel. It was getting late in the day so we started to tow him back when we saw a group of Polaris riders who helped us out. They unplugged the ECU and then pulled the rope 30 times, reconnected the ECU and it started right up. They mentioned that this was a known issue. So the next weekend we head back out and I was surprised to learn that he hadn't taken it to the shop for evaluation before heading back out into the backcountry. Sure enough we stopped at a creek crossing and it wouldn't start but after a few minutes of fiddling with it, they got it running and it was fine for the test of the day. Someone mentioned that there is a sensor in the throttle lever that can also be problematic.
Anybody have any insight to this or experienced similar?
Thanks.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many km on the sled, 800 or 850? Mine did this in my first trip, in field solution was to turn key off(or pull tether) pull cord 10-15 time to clear the flooded condition, then start. I took it to the dealer afterwards and they réglasses it. Since then if it doesn’t want to start after 2 pulls I’ll crack the throttle what pulling.

The reflash helped a lot, not 100% though. Since I’ve had over 500km it’s been much better.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Their is a sensor in the throttle that can cause problems but not often. Last year on an 850 it iced up so we quickly pulled it apart and cleared the ice and away it went.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Their is a sensor in the throttle that can cause problems but not often. Last year on an 850 it iced up so we quickly pulled it apart and cleared the ice and away it went.

Yeah, that’s the throttle safety switch. That wasn’t my issues as mine is bypassed. I believe it’s an issue while these sleds are in break-in still.

Ohmz

Reaction score
My 19 850 had similar issues. Ended up getting exhaust valves cleaned once and reprogrammed several times before they figured out it was the voltage regulator that was replaced twice. My ecu was reflashed with a 2021 update end of the season last year and has run flawless ever since.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't know if it's an 800 or 850 but I'm guessing 850 and don't know the mileage but it's low whatever it is and part of his aggravation. I'll pass this info along to him.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't know if it's an 800 or 850 but I'm guessing 850 and don't know the mileage but it's low whatever it is and part of his aggravation. I'll pass this info along to him.

How do you un plug the ecu? Is it behind the oil tank like on the proride chassis?

asking in case I run into the same problem lol

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you un plug the ecu? Is it behind the oil tank like on the proride chassis?

asking in case I run into the same problem lol
i don't know since i was out ahead of the fellas when the group of polaris riders rendered their assistance but if i owned a poalris, i'd definitely be doing research on this and getting it handled. towing a sled out of the backcountry was no joke and effectively ended the day.

Top Bottom