Polaris p85 on 850 doo

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of kicking around the idea . Less rotating mass ,almost 4lbs lighter. Heard some good stories and some bad. Vibration etc. . I have it well clutched right now with the p drive but thinking about going down the lightweight trail . Thoughts ?

GreyGhost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Never thought of doing something like this. Obviously would have to do some matching and re balancing. Let us know!!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of kicking around the idea . Less rotating mass ,almost 4lbs lighter. Heard some good stories and some bad. Vibration etc. . I have it well clutched right now with the p drive but thinking about going down the lightweight trail . Thoughts ?

If you have warranty I wouldn't. How much does this mod cost? Last time I looked it was pretty expensive. p85 clutch doesn't even last 350-500 miles on a Polaris. You can rebuild them but they are lucky to hit 200miles after a rebuild. Not trying to talk you out of it, but I don't think skidoo guys keep a spare clutch in the backseat of their truck.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into it and ya its $$, call mountain magic they have a bunch of them running around but it aint cheap.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has some body actually confirmed the weight surrender between the 2 clutch. 4lbs is pretty significant and would seem like a stretch.

venom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over 2000kms on my boosted 850 5lbs. Mostly tree bashing. 0 issues with the p85. Pull apart and clean both clutches at beginning of every season. Was going to weigh them but put it back on before I thought about it again. But I can't tell u the doo clutch is much heaver.
9c0573bd06e6692b69f8119dc216173f.jpg

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over on SW the Poo guys are pretty excited that Indy Dan fitted the Cat Team primary to the Polaris. Seems like a grass is greener kind of thing unless the P-drive is the bottom of the barrel amongst the 3.

hardcorex

Reaction score
Must of been talking to mountain tragic!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been along time for me guys. Was running mods staked on mods like the Cummins guys of today! Haha
bought a used p 85 and put it on on 1100 bikeman skidoo
1000 engine
running twin crank shop pipes. Not pointing a finger if it was
engine hormonics. The extra rpm to run the twins. Or the lighter pto, or a bad cut taper, Less then a 1000 km into the combination I broke a crank stub and played rokem sokem clutches with my new team secondary,plus ate a belt. Ran factory tra with new outer half clutch on team secondary and never looked back. I think it was close to 4 pound weight loss with tra 7.

I thought the p dived was quite a bit lighter? Seemed
like a full time maintenance for me as well. Either
loose rollers
or broken spiders. Chalking that experience as been
there done that for myself

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave at redline was putting p85 on some of his first built 850kits when the pdrive was being a nightmare to understand, and the belts were not lasting a day..

remember taking a scale out and he had them under 10 lbs and pdrive almost 14 I recall.. but don’t quote me.. he said they ran very well but needed to machine surface of something and went went a specific belt..

he since has went back to the pdrive with his new externals and better 371 belt and it’s been pretty stout primary..

I want to as well try the tra race clutch on it soon as well since it’s a fair amount lighter and fits right on, few buddy’s running this setup and the primary weight difference shoes quick on spool

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over on SW the Poo guys are pretty excited that Indy Dan fitted the Cat Team primary to the Polaris. Seems like a grass is greener kind of thing unless the P-drive is the bottom of the barrel amongst the 3.

They are excited cause the cat primaries are “Da Bomb”

I personally think the pDrive is one of the better clutches from the manufacturer, unfortunately there is resonance countermeasures in the 850 that may reduce the life of the doo engine running a different primary.

I just dont think people understand totally how to tune it, especially when the clickers are involved, but its good for the aftermarket crowd.
Spending 2500+ and getting potentially less reliable clutches for marginal gain in actual performance.
Yes, there is a gain if the customer ran the stock clutching calibration, than switched to a team an p85, but do certain customers really know why the stock clutches do not work for them, or are they just listening to others.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some guys just want to open the panel and show off a 911 cover on their Doo.....

Top Bottom