Polaris goes electric

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another exercise in feel good green ideas that will, in practice be unworkable. I guess the advantage of an electric SxS is that you can carry a generator in the back so you can recharge the battery for a few hours after you kill the battery stuck in a deep mud hole.....

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another exercise in feel good green ideas that will, in practice be unworkable. I guess the advantage of an electric SxS is that you can carry a generator in the back so you can recharge the battery for a few hours after you kill the battery stuck in a deep mud hole.....

There are a lot of areas with none mud hole trails.
I could see these being of interest there.
By yeah curious to see how they survive Alberta's skeg holes

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These have been around for a few years.
Used to be Bad Boy Buggies.
Textron bought them
All electric and in 4x4
5a6f8a8158992da9be26a90eb3a9d58a.jpg

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use a couple rangers around the farm that never really get more than 5 or 6 miles from home, during calving they run everyday around the yard! I’m actually pretty interested in trying an electric model to be honest

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use a couple rangers around the farm that never really get more than 5 or 6 miles from home, during calving they run everyday around the yard! I’m actually pretty interested in trying an electric model to be honest

For that application they would be quite good and I could see the utility there. For trail/ mud/ hard work, not so much.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For that application they would be quite good and I could see the utility there. For trail/ mud/ hard work, not so much.

I think your underestimating EV's, even in these early stages compared to gas power, in just about everything EV's are atleast equivalent or in many cases out performing gas.
In work and in sport.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think your underestimating EV's, even in these early stages compared to gas power, in just about everything EV's are atleast equivalent or in many cases out performing gas.
In work and in sport.

The charging is the problem, I can always pack extra gas for weekend get aways and longer trips. But now will I have to pack a generator and gas?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The charging is the problem, I can always pack extra gas for weekend get aways and longer trips. But now will I have to pack a generator and gas?

For this use case an electric SxS isn't going to work very well. If you need maximum range and near instant refuelling in the middle of nowhere, you cannot use an EV.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For this use case an electric SxS isn't going to work very well. If you need maximum range and near instant refuelling in the middle of nowhere, you cannot use an EV.
Maybe thats the grand plan from the green funded govt crowd? If we can't go deep into the back country that will leave more areas open for skiers and hikers. Pretty soon they will have small motorized parks for us to play in. 3 miles by 3 miles big with a recharging station in the parking lot.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe thats the grand plan from the green funded govt crowd? If we can't go deep into the back country that will leave more areas open for skiers and hikers. Pretty soon they will have small motorized parks for us to play in. 3 miles by 3 miles big with a recharging station in the parking lot.

I think we will have a much easier time gaining access with nearly silent vehicles that can be charged by sunlight, wind, and water. Don't you think? What if you can have 100 miles of range per charge?

Quick story time. I tried to buy a Ranger EV about 2 weeks ago. Called 15 different polaris dealers looking for one. None available anywhere and a 3 month wait for a new one (why wait 3 months when there is a new version coming out in December?). Ok, so now look on kijiji and try to find a used RangerEV. Absolutely none anywhere. A couple new ones in Quebec and Ontario. Too far away and too much hassle. One dealer asked me why I would want electric. I said we only use it to check our crops and all our land is within 5 miles of our house. Nearly no maintenance. No radiator to plug, no hot exhaust parts starting fires, no CVT transmission, no oil changes, no exhaust fumes, no loud engine noise, no air filter, no fuel filter, no belts, no starter. Anyways, ended up buying a ranger 1000 ($0 document fee by the way) which will be getting sold the second I can get my hands on the new rangerEV with zero battery/powertrain.

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jhurkot, just curious (as I'm too lazy to do my own research).

What is the range on a charge? And charge time from empmty to full?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jhurkot, just curious (as I'm too lazy to do my own research).

What is the range on a charge? And charge time from empmty to full?

For the old style Polaris rangerEV or the new one? The old one was 25-30miles I believe. Charge time was 4-6 hours (I think, on a 120v standard plug) $15k Canadian, if you can find one. A few hardcore off-grid guys charge them directly with solar panels (DC solar power directly to DC batteries). Not one single used one on all of kijiji (BC/AB/SK/MB). I don't think the specs for the new one are out yet but I think they will blow the old one out of the water.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we will have a much easier time gaining access with nearly silent vehicles that can be charged by sunlight, wind, and water. Don't you think? What if you can have 100 miles of range per charge?

Quick story time. I tried to buy a Ranger EV about 2 weeks ago. Called 15 different polaris dealers looking for one. None available anywhere and a 3 month wait for a new one (why wait 3 months when there is a new version coming out in December?). Ok, so now look on kijiji and try to find a used RangerEV. Absolutely none anywhere. A couple new ones in Quebec and Ontario. Too far away and too much hassle. One dealer asked me why I would want electric. I said we only use it to check our crops and all our land is within 5 miles of our house. Nearly no maintenance. No radiator to plug, no hot exhaust parts starting fires, no CVT transmission, no oil changes, no exhaust fumes, no loud engine noise, no air filter, no fuel filter, no belts, no starter. Anyways, ended up buying a ranger 1000 ($0 document fee by the way) which will be getting sold the second I can get my hands on the new rangerEV with zero battery/powertrain.
Oh for sure there is a place for EV rec vehicles. Motorbikes, utility quads and SxS's, sleds on ski hills and for trapping and obviously for watercraft. I just don't see heading deep into the backcountry with a sled in 3ft of pow with an EV sled in the near future. Cold and load will kill it fast.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

$0 document fee..!! Good for you.

This is a real torn.... not sure how this became an acceptable business practice...?? Just paying the finance guy a bonus...

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how we are saving anything if we go random camping and have to run our gas generators all night so we can ride the next day so instead of burning gas in the quad we burn it in the generator fu6king stupid government and greenies

Top Bottom