Please help 5.0l or ecoboost f-150

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
being a ford dealer i would tell you eco boost. The maintanence is minimal on these trucks as the turbos are like any diesel treat them right and they will last! these trucks have been tortured and past the test!The 5.0 and 6.2 are both proven motors and are very strong if your talking the 50+ hp gains from a programmer you are talking about the eco boost the 5.0 and 6.2 are both strong performers when chipped up but the ecoboost seems to come to life the most with the chip intake exhaust. if your gonna be using it as more daily driver and some towing then go ecoboost. We have had more people that are driving jetta's,focus,cobalts,etc. for commuting back and forth to work but are now needing a a halfton truck and most for daily driving some hauling are going ecoboost. The ecoboost is such a strong performer that i'am considering unloading my diesel for a ecoboost and I have been diesel power since 2003.

would you recommed turbo timers?? so people don't burn them out accidentally

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 f150 with the 5.4l How does the 5.0 and eco boost compare for mpg? I'm averaging 18-20 mpg average with my 5.4

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the fuel economy of the 5.0 compare with the eco boost? I've heard mixed reviews on fuel economy of the eco boost, some says its awesome, some say its no better than a V8??

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 ecoboost

Positives: has addictive power and pulls great, stays in 6th on almost any hill tons of torque.
Negatives: 3 engine lights twice to dealer and still has the light, (granted its lacombe ford and you can't expect too much there). Mileage as stated better on highway worse in town, averages 15/100 on the lie o meter. AC sucks! In fords wisdom the ac does not come on even when selected on below 15c, so if 13 degrees and rainy you can not unfog the inside because the condenser is not removing cabin humidity. This is a real pain.
I have not drove a 5 as my last ford was 5.4, but I wouldn't get the Eco again based on my breakdowns.

scramblerX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm intersted in the eco boost, I'm thinking give ford a year or two to work out the problems and it'll be a great motor. Thats why I went with the 5.4. My truck is showing 14l/100 on the lie o meter but that with lots of hiway driving and not pushing my right foot into it very hard.

Ecobeast

Reaction score
Yeah the 5.0 if you change the intake and the heads out to the mustang ones make some serious gains I know of a 5.0 in the states that changed the heads,intake,exhaust,tunning,throttle body spacer, and a set of kooks headers and made some pretty serious numbers close to 115+ on 91 octane fuel so that is some serious power to be had out of a halfton considering you usually gotta supercharge to get that 120+ hp out of them but then your nearly $10,000 deep YIKES!!! I'm wanting to trick an ecoboost with KEM tunning and upgraded turbos see what that truck can do! But yes I'm with you on the supercrew LB halfton and I think ford will step up more on that end as the half ton sales have been up big time in the last couple years so i think ford is really gonna focus there attention and energy on the halftons more than the superduty for a couple years. IMO the superduty is awesome and for a couple years i would leave it alone and start making some more different half ton variations and really perfect these trucks cause once all the kinks are out of the eco boost it is gonna be the motor to copy if your gm and dodge and yes i own gm as well and have no problem saying that gm and dodge need to step up big time cause ford is knocking them out of the park with there new lineup!

If you are planning on doing performance upgrades. Go ecoboost. Why by a 5.0. Then drop several grand in it just to add 100+up. Do what I did. Grab a beer, sit in the truck with my SCT tuner. Load up a custom tune and add 98hp and over 128 pounds of torque. I would put my ecoboost against any 5.0. 6.2 and smoke it. Got a 0-60 at about 4.7 sec

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are planning on doing performance upgrades. Go ecoboost. Why by a 5.0. Then drop several grand in it just to add 100+up. Do what I did. Grab a beer, sit in the truck with my SCT tuner. Load up a custom tune and add 98hp and over 128 pounds of torque. I would put my ecoboost against any 5.0. 6.2 and smoke it. Got a 0-60 at about 4.7 sec

He could add 4g, if he does his own labour 6 if he gets it installed and put a rouche charger on his 5.0 and smoke your egoboost.
I got an Eco with the sct tuner and drove thr rouche charger f150 all I can say is holy fawk 600 hp in a truck is fun :)

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Posted my thoughts before, but here's my update on mileage in my 2013 5.0.
I'm quite sure I got better mileage with my 2009 5.4, but don't have the real numbers to prove it

Top Bottom