Peoples experience ski doo vs m8000

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another post on looking for guys experience with ski doo vs arctic cat. I have a 10 m8 right now wondering what it will be like to go to either the doo or new cat. Is the extra money for the doo worth it. I like boondocking mainly so what would be the best fit. Will the t motion be to tippy I'm 250 lbs. just looking for opinions. Thanks

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm heavier like you and don't care for the doo. They work alright in fresh snow but if you aren't riding fresh all the time there sketchy at best. The cat and pros/axys handle very similarly I can go back and forth between the two sleds and do the same things.

This forum is very doo heavy so that will be the favoring answer however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm heavier like you and don't care for the doo. They work alright in fresh snow but if you aren't riding fresh all the time there sketchy at best. The cat and pros/axys handle very similarly I can go back and forth between the two sleds and do the same things.

This forum is very doo heavy so that will be the favoring answer however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also a fat ass, but I have ridden both and find the position of the steering post on the Cat is far back in my lap, compared to Doo feeling more like a dirt bike. The Cat motor pulls as hard as my Doos, but wouldnt say it beats it by much, if at all. Etec burns less gas day after day though same kms. Tryin not to sound like I had too much Doolaide but two Cat guys I ride with are both switching when they are ready for a new ride... Probably 3 more too if I were a betting man

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another post on looking for guys experience with ski doo vs arctic cat. I have a 10 m8 right now wondering what it will be like to go to either the doo or new cat. Is the extra money for the doo worth it. I like boondocking mainly so what would be the best fit. Will the t motion be to tippy I'm 250 lbs. just looking for opinions. Thanks
If you live in Cochrane stop over at Bowridge Sports before 8pm tonight and check out the new 2017 Doo. They have one on display there today only.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both very capable sleds. My advice: buy from a dealer that has a good reputation and offers service and parts support after the sale, and actually takes the time to set up the machine and go through it with you. I have no experience with ski-doo or cat dealers in your part of the province - I currently drive 5 hrs to my dealer in Bonnyville, and it's worth the trip every time.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also a fat ass, but I have ridden both and find the position of the steering post on the Cat is far back in my lap, compared to Doo feeling more like a dirt bike. The Cat motor pulls as hard as my Doos, but wouldnt say it beats it by much, if at all. Etec burns less gas day after day though same kms. Tryin not to sound like I had too much Doolaide but two Cat guys I ride with are both switching when they are ready for a new ride... Probably 3 more too if I were a betting man
Don't forget about the crappy, wobble steering from new

Have no idea how they can let that go like that

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was 275lbs, when I started switching from my M's to the 13 xm's a few years ago. First off I will say anything you compare to your 2010 cat will seem "tippy", and not that they are, they just pull over easy. My 2010 m8 turbo I use to run for the first day, but my arms were always so tired at the end I would ride the xm for the remainder of the trip and feel great. I had tried the 2013 cats back then but hated how it handled, and found that you couldn't ease on the throttle cause it would just trench (possibly because I was 275). XM floated extremely well. i'm down to 230lbs. now, have 154x, 163x, and a 174x T3. Couldn't be more happy. I never did try the Poo's, just don't trust them.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$100 in bushings and the steering feels great. Definitely wonder why cat can't get that right.

Dakine879

Reaction score
gibsons....from 275 to 230...

Congrats on your significant weight loss! You feel way better.

Last edited:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically eating regularly but small and health portions, as an example I would have snacks at 8am 10am noon and 3 consisting of a protien drink, 8 almonds and a fruit cup, then a healthy super in the evening, as well as going to the gym for probably an hour in the evenings. The wife put me on a crash diet last year beginning of Feb. so I could lose weight before going to mexico, and I just stuck with it.Weekends typically can get out of control and drinking screws up my plan, but for the most part it's been working.
How did you go about the weight loss? Diet? Exercise? Plans??

Last edited:

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 08 M8 since new and this year I snowchecked a 16 153 Ltd. My 08 has countless mods and it's not even half the machine the 16 is. It's a totally different animal. I don't have much seat time on a doo so I can't say much about it but the new cat is unreal especially compared to a m series or even an older proclimb. I thought about switching brands this year but after the abuse my M8 has been through, another cat was in the cards and I can tell you I don't regret my decision at all.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically eating regularly but small and health portions, as an example I would have snacks at 8am 10am noon and 3 consisting of a protien drink, 8 almonds and a fruit cup, then a healthy super in the evening, as well as going to the gym for probably an hour in the evenings. The wife put me on a crash diet last year beginning of Feb. so I could lose weight before going to mexico, and I just stuck with it.Weekends typically can get out of control and drinking screws up my plan, but for the most part it's been working.

95% Diet and 5% Exercise!!

Good job Gibsons, it ain't an easy thing to do!!

And yeah, whatever you like. Cat, Doo, Poo, Sno jet, Massey Ferguson, JD, etc. Just get out and ride!

Top Bottom