Peace River trail

bearb8

Reaction score
Hello All;

For the past 3 years we have been working upgrading a section of the Peace River Trail north of the town of Athabasca. We still have work to do but have launched our official opening last fall. This trail was developed as a multi - use, motorized trail. There will be ATV's in the summer, along with horse and wagons ( very similar to the Iron Horse Trail ). In the winter it can be used by snowmobiles and others. We built this as a family oriented trail. It was a partnership of all levels of government form both Athabasca County and the M.D. of Lesser Slave River, provincial and federal governments. Please enjoy it and use it responsibly. This trail is maintained by a volunteer organization - Athabasca Recreational Trails Association ( our facebook page is the same name). Athabasca County recently produced a video to promote safe and responsible ATV use on designated trails.
Check it out by following this link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmknxPvj50w

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hello All;

For the past 3 years we have been working upgrading a section of the Peace River Trail north of the town of Athabasca. We still have work to do but have launched our official opening last fall. This trail was developed as a multi - use, motorized trail. There will be ATV's in the summer, along with horse and wagons ( very similar to the Iron Horse Trail ). In the winter it can be used by snowmobiles and others. We built this as a family oriented trail. It was a partnership of all levels of government form both Athabasca County and the M.D. of Lesser Slave River, provincial and federal governments. Please enjoy it and use it responsibly. This trail is maintained by a volunteer organization - Athabasca Recreational Trails Association ( our facebook page is the same name). Athabasca County recently produced a video to promote safe and responsible ATV use on designated trails.
Check it out by following this link - Athabasca County ATVs - YouTube

is there a mapof this trail available? My family has a lake lot North of Athabasca, I'd be interested in checking your trail out.

bearb8

Reaction score
If you go to pur facebook page - Athabasca Recreational Trails Association - and look at the photo section - there is a jpeg of the map there.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made it lame was a lot better trail before imo

Sent from my Note2

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go to pur facebook page - Athabasca Recreational Trails Association - and look at the photo section - there is a jpeg of the map there.
This is interesting, is there a map of the original Peace River Trail?

edit: Found a lot of info on the trail and I must say, good on you folks for the work you have completed! wow, I had never heard of this trail before now but I'll be sure to check it out.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made it lame was a lot better trail before imo

Sent from my Note2
how so? less access? I did a quite a bit of reading, seems as if the jeep and 4x4 crowd were the only ones upset with the trail as it banned their usage on it.

oh, and the hikers.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch out for the horses and wagons lmao
I think that was pretty cool that those Western Canadian Wagon Train guys got to run that stretch of trail, I saw them last summer in several places along the highway. The trail has a lot of interesting history, I would most certainly have given that group a wide berth to continue their journey. Could you imagine what it was like over 100 years ago? saw a cool picture on Athabasca Recreational Trails page from the early 1900's where they were hauling a 10,000lb boiler for a paddlewheeler headed for the Athabasca river landing on a wagon drawn by horses. Old school heavy haul right there.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that was pretty cool that those Western Canadian Wagon Train guys got to run that stretch of trail, I saw them last summer in several places along the highway. The trail has a lot of interesting history, I would most certainly have given that group a wide berth to continue their journey. Could you imagine what it was like over 100 years ago? saw a cool picture on Athabasca Recreational Trails page from the early 1900's where they were hauling a 10,000lb boiler for a paddlewheeler headed for the Athabasca river landing on a wagon drawn by horses. Old school heavy haul right there.

YUP and ppl bitch and moan now days when they gotta chain up :confused:

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you rode it years ago it was a lot more challenging I'm not a fan of how easy the trails are now. I understand that some people like an easy day ride but trails like the Iron Horse etc are basically a gravel road so pretty boring on a quad or sled. I prefer tight trails without cutting down trees etc so it's more of a challenge I do realize most people don't like that though.

Sent from my Note2

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
If you rode it years ago it was a lot more challenging I'm not a fan of how easy the trails are now. I understand that some people like an easy day ride but trails like the Iron Horse etc are basically a gravel road so pretty boring on a quad or sled. I prefer tight trails without cutting down trees etc so it's more of a challenge I do realize most people don't like that though.

Sent from my Note2

you will probably see more and more trails going this route, because guys like to hit the mud holes and dig them deeper & deeper... SRD HATES that, so by putting in solid established trails they eliminate alot of that happening.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will probably see more and more trails going this route, because guys like to hit the mud holes and dig them deeper & deeper... SRD HATES that, so by putting in solid established trails they eliminate alot of that happening.
exactly. SRD and complaints from local landowners is the reason there will never be another Harmon Valley Quad Rally. we are our own worst enemy

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
exactly. SRD and complaints from local landowners is the reason there will never be another Harmon Valley Quad Rally. we are our own worst enemy

and the same reason that Medicine Lake Rally was shut down, and probably as time goes on more and more will be shut down.

Thankfully Snowandmud.com and SRD in Rocky Mountain House have a great working relationship, and hopefully that will allow for our Summer event to continue for many years yet.

wildf

Reaction score
Have a seasonal lot at Fawcett Lake and last year a group of us with rzr's and quads made a trip from the lake to the north end of the peace river trail down to tomato creek on the trail was an great day put on 80 miles and the north end has some good mud holes .Great trail and thanks to all the work that went into giving us a place to ride .

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Being as my ancestors were one of many that settled in the area, I am aware of our wonderful history. I've rode these trails before and after the trail association fixed them and know many people with trap lines along it. It's great to see people willing to set trail systems up, there aren't many left for the average joe. I personally like to have a harder time getting to places cause it keeps people to a minimum. It was nice to sit at the cabin and have a quiet relaxing holiday but those days are over. And don't play it like I hate to see hundreds of people on the trail so I hate people, I enjoyed it because few knew of it. It's just like your favorite fishing hole or sledding area in the mountains know one knows how to get to. Times change a person just needs to adapt, so I chose to ride other areas. I do ride it occasionally with groups from out of town, cause it keeps them off the honeyholes I know of lol.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being as my ancestors were one of many that settled in the area, I am aware of our wonderful history. I've rode these trails before and after the trail association fixed them and know many people with trap lines along it. It's great to see people willing to set trail systems up, there aren't many left for the average joe. I personally like to have a harder time getting to places cause it keeps people to a minimum. It was nice to sit at the cabin and have a quiet relaxing holiday but those days are over. And don't play it like I hate to see hundreds of people on the trail so I hate people, I enjoyed it because few knew of it. It's just like your favorite fishing hole or sledding area in the mountains know one knows how to get to. Times change a person just needs to adapt, so I chose to ride other areas. I do ride it occasionally with groups from out of town, cause it keeps them off the honeyholes I know of lol.
I'm not "playing it" like anything, your comments that I should "watch out for horse and wagons" says to me that this trail is frequently run by them, which it is not from what I read....maybe you can enlighten me, are there certain dates every year I should watch out for the Western Canadian Wagon Train retracing the Peace River Trail? I am certain the trail association and your local chamber of commerce would be happy that I bring my family of four looking for a nice weekend ride of a new area, as it seems to me that is what they are promoting by the years of work they have put into the trail, as well as a million or so of our tax dollars. I'm sure there are hundreds of miles of bush trail in your area you can ride without seeing another soul to keep you happy, as there are as well in my area. My kids would be thrilled to see an old school wagon train, and I must admit I wouldn't mind seeing them and maybe chatting with them as well. There are plenty of days in the summer I can head from my house and go mudding and winching with the fellas....

Reactions: zal

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was trying to make it less painful for you Teeroy, cause I fiqured you'd probably turn my opinion around on a guy. Ride your horse, donkey, or whatever you want to ride on the trail. Bring your family of four, your uncles, aunts, cousins, hell the entire family. Talk to the wagoneers, the tree's, the rocks or the wildlife. All the power to you. You enjoy arguing with people on S&M. I've seen it on other topics. Enjoy the Peace River Trail and the horse and wagons, I'm out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You enjoy arguing with people on S&M. I've seen it on other topics. Enjoy the Peace River Trail and the horse and wagons, I'm out.
Yeah, I guess I'm bad for that.

What I was picking up from you was a stay away kind of vibe. I have ridden a lot of different places all over this province and BC, and unless you know someone from there it seems like a guy is intruding on "their" spots. Sledding, quading, biking, always the same thing. So what I'm saying is that I kind of get an attitude of my own when someone tells me not to bother or "you won't like it because...".

I'll decide.

Reactions: zal
Top Bottom