Overly Agressive Peace Officers

WhiteDragon

Reaction score
This is a hypothetical situation, but I am wondering what you would or could do under these circumstances.
I purchase a new snowmobile, and am trailering it home. I get a flat tire on the trailer on highway 14, southeast of Sherwood Park. So to make things easier, I take the snowmobile off of the trailer, and proceed to change the trailer tire. While doing so, a member of the RCMP comes by, and stops to see what I am doing. The peace officer sees that I am changing a tire on the trailer.
Then, I proceed to put the snowmobile back on the trailer, and the peace officer stops me. He proceeds to file 4 charges.
1. Riding a snowmobile without wearing a safety helmet.
2. Riding a snowmobile in a restricted area (Strathcona County)
3. Riding a snowmobile without proper insurance.
4. Riding an unregistered snowmobile.
All of these charges are valid under the local laws.
The peace officer then proceeds to confiscate the snowmobile, and states that I would have to appear in court to answer to all of these charges. In any event, the peace officer states that I will not be getting the snowmobile back.
What would you do under these circumstances?

Annacassandra

Reaction score
Are you "asking for a friend"?

In Alberta you have 14 days to register a vehicle that you have just purchased so you could get that one thrown out. Not sure about the other 3 though, you could probably argue in court well enough to get the others thrown out. You'd still end up with towing and impound fees. In my experience Peace Officers who go through the trouble of writing a ticket for every possible offence they can come up with cannot be reasoned with. They are just out to fluff their feathers and exert what little control they have over you...

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kinda wondering about that too. I got a flat on my sled trailer close to Jasper and never would of thought to unload the sleds.
Post a pic of the incident. I would need to see how unloading a sled on the side of the hwy would make it easier to change a tire.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a hypothetical situation, but I am wondering what you would or could do under these circumstances.
I purchase a new snowmobile, and am trailering it home. I get a flat tire on the trailer on highway 14, southeast of Sherwood Park. So to make things easier, I take the snowmobile off of the trailer, and proceed to change the trailer tire. While doing so, a member of the RCMP comes by, and stops to see what I am doing. The peace officer sees that I am changing a tire on the trailer.
Then, I proceed to put the snowmobile back on the trailer, and the peace officer stops me. He proceeds to file 4 charges.
1. Riding a snowmobile without wearing a safety helmet.
2. Riding a snowmobile in a restricted area (Strathcona County)
3. Riding a snowmobile without proper insurance.
4. Riding an unregistered snowmobile.
All of these charges are valid under the local laws.
The peace officer then proceeds to confiscate the snowmobile, and states that I would have to appear in court to answer to all of these charges. In any event, the peace officer states that I will not be getting the snowmobile back.
What would you do under these circumstances?

Did you have a buddy there lifting the side of the trailer for you while you changed wheels? A jack should lift a trailer with sleds on it. However the cop pulled a dick move either way.

Kinda sounds like that Sheriff hero we have in the unmarked blue Explorer here in town eh snopro?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since we're dealing with hypotheticals: If the cop is white and you aren't that would explain a lot.

Top Bottom