Over reving on the 850T

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably not. How and where are you noticing this overrev. Don’t use max rpm recall.

Your total mass is probably lighter with the tamers than it was before. The 2020.5 turbo had different flyweights as well.
Add more pivot weight and leave the tamer weight alone for testing purposes.
Ya the max recall says 8500 rpm time to time but visually on the gauge I got it down to 8100 with longest bolt and 4 washers on tip stock pivot bolt and instruction recommended weight on heel didn’t have pivot bolts with me last weekend but thinkin to add a longer pivot bolt and weigh thx

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think these turbos should have multi angle helix
46/44 or 47/44
they are good for engine braking too

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your total mass is probably lighter with the tamers than it was before. The 2020.5 turbo had different flyweights as well.
Add more pivot weight and leave the tamer weight alone for testing purposes.

Yep I agree with Matt for sure.; it seems that nobody is thinking of pivot weight anymore when they add Turbo Tamers. All I hear of is adding more tip weight. The location of the mass does play a part in feel. But total mass is still the main requirement. Very hard to tune clutch weights without an accurate digital scale. I got an bit of a surprise the other night when I weighed the recommended Turbo Tamer set up vs the set up the dealer had installed for the previous owner to get it down to 7900 RPM. Matt is bang on; the Tamer set up was much lighter. Matt and I were actually texting when I was weighing the two set ups and he nailed the weight of the set up the dealer had installed.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep I agree with Matt for sure.; it seems that nobody is thinking of pivot weight anymore when they add Turbo Tamers. All I hear of is adding more tip weight. The location of the mass does play a part in feel. But total mass is still the main requirement. Very hard to tune clutch weights without an accurate digital scale. I got an bit of a surprise the other night when I weighed the recommended Turbo Tamer set up vs the set up the dealer had installed for the previous owner to get it down to 7900 RPM. Matt is bang on; the Tamer set up was much lighter. Matt and I were actually texting when I was weighing the two set ups and he nailed the weight of the set up the dealer had installed.
I agree… but then you lose some bottom end grunt and it doesn’t seem quite as snappy on and off the throttle. Ultimately the rider needs to set up clutching based on their riding style/ability. Some guys don’t like lower engagement, some do. Some like more engine braking than others. It’s all relative.

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Says right in the turbo tamer instructions to install stock pivot bolt…..imo if longer pivot bolts are needed should they not be included in this kit and in the instructions?

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its good to hear you guys are tinkering, you will find your sweet spot. Did anyone ever weight the turbo tamer plate compared to the stock one. I’m just curious.

crazy_cappa

Reaction score
My 2022 freeride turbo was overrevving. Added the turbo tamer with the recommended tip, heel weights, and left the stock pivot weight, think it was a 3mm washer. Seems to be working great now. Slightly lower engagement, no more pinging the limiter.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its good to hear you guys are tinkering, you will find your sweet spot. Did anyone ever weight the turbo tamer plate compared to the stock one. I’m just curious.
Never thought to. I’m certain it’s lighter. If I was guessing the factory plate is a mild steel and the Tamer plate is aluminum.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Says right in the turbo tamer instructions to install stock pivot bolt…..imo if longer pivot bolts are needed should they not be included in this kit and in the instructions?

IMO Every sled is different. Every rider is a different weight.
I said earlier in this thread, throwing weight at a overreving problem is not necessarily the right approach.
Some guys are noticing the negatives to it, some are changing stuff right of the showroom floor and don’t probably know really know, which is fine, but seems there are lots of mixed reviews on this topic.

The G4 turbo is tricky to tune, you’re tuning two sleds at the sametime, a NA and a turbo.

If a person is going to be ok with the lazy throttle than, add more weight and let her buck.
Or just get a FULL kit from DJ.

For those wondering, the bare tamer is 4 g heavier than the stock plate.

Last edited:

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do guys like engine braking? I would rather my sled freewheel
Way more control manipulating the brake imo
Old / bad habits I suppose. Was always taught to engine brake, don't lock up your track. I suppose light braking has the same effect, just need some more time on the Doo before it will become second nature.

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO Every sled is different. Every rider is a different weight.
I said earlier in this thread, throwing weight at a overreving problem is not necessarily the right approach.
Some guys are noticing the negatives to it, some are changing stuff right of the showroom floor and don’t probably know really know, which is fine, but seems there are lots of mixed reviews on this topic.

The G4 turbo is tricky to tune, you’re tuning two sleds at the sametime, a NA and a turbo.

If a person is going to be ok with the lazy throttle than, add more weight and let her buck.
Or just get a FULL kit from DJ.

For those wondering, the bare tamer is 4 g heavier than the stock plate.
Thanks for the info. I figured it had to be heavier.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a new dj clutch kit sitting on my shop bench that I won't get to install on this sled unfortunately.

Asking $450 and I will pay for the shipping to you.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a new dj clutch kit sitting on my shop bench that I won't get to install on this sled unfortunately.

Asking $450 and I will pay for the shipping to you.
what all is in it
for the 850 turbo i assume

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what all is in it
for the 850 turbo i assume
100/360 Dalton primary spring
Pivot pin kit (w/steel spacers) to adjust engine speed
225/330 Dalton yellow/orange secondary spring
And a new Helix

Buddy had one installed. Well worth it imo.

Just want to get back what I paid, will eat shipping.

Top Bottom