Over reving on the 850T

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installed clutching from a local shop that had been recommended to me by a couple people. It consisted of primary spring, helix, top gear and bolt/weights. I'm rather disappointed.
As set by the shop, I was back to 8300. Added the included extra weight and clicked back down. While it does hold rpm throughout a climb, its inconsistent by about 200 rpm from one pull to the next. In deep pow, jumping back and forth with another stock 2022, you can't feel a difference. Although I did not pay close attention to belt temps before the swap, I don't think there has been an improvement here either. Still needs more engine braking too.
The sled is less buzzy at low speed and is noticeably quicker to shift out on the trail, which I consider an improvement over stock.
You should have gone back to the beginning of this thread. And listened to some of the comments and started with the simple changes. Or just picked up a turbo tamer kit now. Its not that complicated. I've seen lots of these surefire clutch kits over the years and they just remove money from your wallet. Hope things work out and good luck.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should have gone back to the beginning of this thread. And listened to some of the comments and started with the simple changes. Or just picked up a turbo tamer kit now. Its not that complicated. I've seen lots of these surefire clutch kits over the years and they just remove money from your wallet. Hope things work out and good luck.

I did read this thread. Experiences and opinions are all over the map.
I progressively added bunch of weight and wasn't getting the results I had hoped. You dismiss 'kits', but recommend tamers which have had mixed reviews?

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I progressively added bunch of weight and wasn't getting the results I had hoped. You dismiss 'kits', but recommend tamers which have had mixed reviews?
Good luck!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was having over revving problems on my 22 expert 165 850T also. I put an I backshift kit on for 7000 ft and now it pulls 8000 and holds at 7950. Primary spring, engages at 2900 rpm, secondary spring an helix, shifts nice an hold back is great.
Hands down the best kit on the market for the 850t

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the $200 I'm completely satisfied with the Turbo Tamers. I did have to add slightly more tip weight than recommended. I ride 5500ft elevation though. I will install a clutch kit when I tune my sled. I don't know if I can add enough weight to accommodate a tune? Even if I can... I think a lot would be left on the table as far as engagement, backshift and engine braking.

Brentk

Reaction score
Have had better results with 91 octane fuel too. When we fill up at Petro on hi way 1 with 94 octane they seam to rev a bit higher,,I've seen 8300 a couple times,, not good.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's kit? I just had a buddy recommended the powder lite's kit for a 22? He said it was definitely an improvement. He gets lots of riding in tech terrain all year. I am a firm believer that all sleds seem to react a little different to these kits.

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the turbo tamers and would not recommend them I set my 2020.5 up before with extra long clicker bolt and weight washers and it held 8000 rpm but seemed laggy on the bottom end bought and set up turbo tamers as instructions and over reving then installed the longest tip screw and still overreving in 3 ft of fresh pow on an untracked climb at 6000ft….. now do I keep adding tip weight? That answer is yes 2 3 or 4 more washers…..was told by manufacture my sled must make more boost than most….just my experience maybe they work great on low boosting tdoos???

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got thinking my sled has been put back to stock settings except for the aftermarket charge tubes….. I have played with gearing up and down but now everything is stock except the tubes…. Maybe size harmonics material has some HP power gains with the redline silicon tubes although in new stock form I added a 3/4 inch longer clicker bolt and 2 1/4 washer weights to get down to 8000rpm

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got thinking my sled has been put back to stock settings except for the aftermarket charge tubes….. I have played with gearing up and down but now everything is stock except the tubes…. Maybe size harmonics material has some HP power gains with the redline silicon tubes although in new stock form I added a 3/4 inch longer clicker bolt and 2 1/4 washer weights to get down to 8000rpm
The tubes might be doing some, but I don’t think it would be much. My 2020.5 is stock except for a Redline can and I also had to add tip weight. I also ride 6000ft.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
W
What tune were you running and why did you remove it? I ask as I plan on doing the Ibexx Silver tune.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I added clutch weight 2022 expert T. . My RPM is bang on 79 to 8000. But now it’s kinda laggy on the bottom. Gonna have to do more changes.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the turbo tamers and would not recommend them I set my 2020.5 up before with extra long clicker bolt and weight washers and it held 8000 rpm but seemed laggy on the bottom end bought and set up turbo tamers as instructions and over reving then installed the longest tip screw and still overreving in 3 ft of fresh pow on an untracked climb at 6000ft….. now do I keep adding tip weight? That answer is yes 2 3 or 4 more washers…..was told by manufacture my sled must make more boost than most….just my experience maybe they work great on low boosting tdoos???

Probably not. How and where are you noticing this overrev. Don’t use max rpm recall.

Your total mass is probably lighter with the tamers than it was before. The 2020.5 turbo had different flyweights as well.
Add more pivot weight and leave the tamer weight alone for testing purposes.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally got my sled out in some good snow and some solid pulls. Held 7900-8000 all day and would settle around 74-75km/h on a pull right before turn out. Although it was hard to get it to power out unless my skis were straight up.

Only improvement I would love to see is done engine braking. Coming off an Alpha with the team setup, that thing could damn near stop you going down hill without any brake.

Top Bottom