Outside Winter Storage

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my bike will be outside and covered this winter, so just wondering how some of you do it?

I've never used fuel stabilizer in my life. How full would you keep the tank? I'm at about a 1/4 right now, and I'll probably pull the battery too.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put fuel stabilizer and fill the tank right full, minimizes the air volume and condensation that can contaminate the fuel. Pull the battery unless I can get at it to periodically to keep it fully charged. Low battery + freezing will kill it.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup full tank of fuel, some stabilizer, if you put in stabilizer let it run to flow through, put it to bed, i always pump out my old fuel in the spring / fall depending on the toy and put fresh fuel in. I have never had an issue. Little overkill but just put the old fuel in someones vehicle so jo biggie

also do some mice control

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, plug the exhaust and intake with rags, run the bike with fuel stabilizer already in the tank for about 10min and sit the gas off and let it run out if it’s not fuel injected.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sea foam and battery pull never had a problem parked outside all winter truck/trailer with tires protected of course

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Park it in the living room trashy. most wife’s and girlfriends love it when you do that.
LMAO!!!!

Can you PM me your address, so I have a warm place to sleep this winter, lol. Ohh..... I'll also need a job to cover my share of room & board.

Thanks brother, I owe ya one :D

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At first I thought you were looking to park the bike here..I go ask the wife, likely the same answer I got . Just for warning you it could get ugly but I’ll ask. ha ha.

Peter Gill

Reaction score
I store a number of things outside in winter (lawn tractor, quad, bike, trike) if I think I'll need room in the barn to work on things over the winter. Have been very successful doing the following:
-drain all of the gas, blow the lines through with low pressure air, remove air filter, spray engine fogging oil into the intake & turn the motor over a few times to get it through the carb. Pull the spark plug(s), spray the hole with more fogging oil or storage spray.
-spray a bit of anti-corrosion spray like LPS on exposed linkages, chain, gears etc.
-store the filter & seat inside
-plug intake/exhaust
-brake fluid attracts water, if you're feeling energetic, drain the brake fluid & refill lines with isopropyl alcohol (more work to get it ready to ride, though)
-pull the battery, charge it up, store inside, maybe charge it again mid-winter
-block the frame to take the load off the suspension
-tarp it
-go out & hug it every now and then so it knows it's loved.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always put a few moth ball in and around the bike. Put them in an open container on the seat then a few on the any where they will sit.
Mice can do a lot of damage and yes steel wool to plug anything.

Top Bottom