Outside tap

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my outside tap with a frost free tap. Now i seem to have the same flow as before but when i hook up the sprinkler i have about 1/2 the distance i used to. Thinking it was the feed supply line i ran new 3/4 to the tap from the main feed. This made barley any difference so that was a waste of money. The old tap was in a bad spot under the house so this line is out the side of the house about 3ft away from the old. The old was just a tap soldered on to the feed line and was still only a 1/2 inlet to the tap. Are these frost free taps that restrictive on water? This new tap has the suction breaker ontop of the tap... Figured i would spend good money on a tap and would have no issues... If it restricts that bad ill just go with a normal tap and a shutoff in the house

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the non pop top - I screwed up - smoked one too many and put the back flow valves on the wrong side - gonna get ambitious today and move em to the back side of the drains - I've been screwin with this a few years but this is a primo setup now - u just gotta make sure to drain b4 Halloween - I run a warm water mix to the pressure washer helps get the bugs off of the f3fiddy
PXL_20210706_152853576.jpg
PXL_20210706_152828764.jpg

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put 2 motorized valves in the basement, one from hot and one from cold, to my existing outside tap. The valves are on a wifi switch so I just tell my Google Home to turn on the hot water and my outside tap goes from cold hard water to hot, soft water. Great for washing the trailer or cars etc. Just don't want to forget and water my plants with hot water. I haven't tried yet but I believe I could just ask Google to turn on the hot water for 10 minutes too.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why a backlog on the taps? I have only ever used those on a hot water tank so it does not drain our if u have a problem someware else...
Talked to the plumbing place and they could not tell me if the tap has some sort of water saver in it reducing flow..

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why a backlog on the taps? I have only ever used those on a hot water tank so it does not drain our if u have a problem someware else...
Talked to the plumbing place and they could not tell me if the tap has some sort of water saver in it reducing flow..
When I use the y hose for the pressure washer - if you leave the taps on outside - it backflows and messes up the water temp in the house

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check for blockage in the sprinkler as the frost free are the same as a regular tap as far as restrictions go.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I use the y hose for the pressure washer - if you leave the taps on outside - it backflows and messes up the water temp in the house
That makes sense never thought of that
I would check for blockage in the sprinkler as the frost free are the same as a regular tap as far as restrictions go.
Did that and the sprinkler never moved i went from watering the lawn changed tap and back to watering..
Maybe something is wrong on how his plumbing manifold is setup
Exact same as prior. Now the only difference is i matched the manifold size of 3/4 to the tap as i originally thought the 1/2 was possibly the restriction

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well figured out what the issue was. First issue is that this modular park only has 40psi water pressure instead of the recommended 60psi (i used to work for the park). Some of the newer units with all their water saving taps barley have any pressure. The frost free tap has a pressure relief in the end of it and at 40psi it does not have enough pressure to open it all the way. Replaced tap with a old school style frost free and got some of my pressure back. Then i pulled out all my hose out of the reel and found the first hose had about 20 kinks in the hose and the hose was starting to fail in these spots. Took that hose out and just went with a single and got pretty much all my pressure back. I think the last little bit is the over priced lawn sprinkler i have is failing has a 5 year warranty but go figure the local CT store does not have any in stock and nothing coming in

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I replace my outside tap with one from home hardware, about 1/2 a turn to full open or closed. Pressure is way down to the outside tap. I have ordered a new one off of amazon.. Homewerks. I have yet to install it.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i looked at one of those as well and it was the same design of having a pressure relief in the end of the valve... I picked up every one at all the local stores and pushed on the end until i found one without a pressure relief.. They need to label these things as that was alot of wasted money for me with all the brass and tap i had gotten months ago only to find out the tap does not wok properly on low pressure and i already tossed out all the receipts

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well figured out what the issue was. First issue is that this modular park only has 40psi water pressure instead of the recommended 60psi (i used to work for the park). Some of the newer units with all their water saving taps barley have any pressure. The frost free tap has a pressure relief in the end of it and at 40psi it does not have enough pressure to open it all the way. Replaced tap with a old school style frost free and got some of my pressure back. Then i pulled out all my hose out of the reel and found the first hose had about 20 kinks in the hose and the hose was starting to fail in these spots. Took that hose out and just went with a single and got pretty much all my pressure back. I think the last little bit is the over priced lawn sprinkler i have is failing has a 5 year warranty but go figure the local CT store does not have any in stock and nothing coming in

Best sprinklers I have are rain bird 5000 series from underground sprinkler place. 22” piece of angle iron sharpened to stick in ground and 2 hose clamps
Nipple, 90* ,1/2 to garden hose fitting
Can adjust spray from 15-3xx degrees and spray with flat blade Can change nozzle from 1.5 to 10 very easy.

Top Bottom