Older Carbed Sleds in the Mountains Advice Needed

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need some advice/help. I am finally bringing the whole family to McBride for the kids' spring break! We plan on riding to Lucille cabin one day and then the trek to Renshaw cabin the next. I need advice for jetting for this trip. I am bringing a '98 Vmax 700, '98 Summit 583 with H.A.C., and an '87 Excel 340. I was wondering what everyone jets for, like 5000'? Does the Summit need to have jets changed to a range for the HAC to work? I honestly have know idea what to do with the Summit and that carb and HAC system. Will the little 340 run ok? Anything would be super helpful. Thank you.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For one trip just run them, sure they might be down a little from peak performance but we haven’t had any real problems. Carry a extra set of plugs in case they foul one from heaven fueling.

My sons carbed 550 evo Rmk still has stock sea level jetting and run fine in mcbride at the top of Bell.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutch weights is important also
I'm not sure I need to worry about clutch weights on the Vmax or Excel, they should be ok, but the Summit has clickers. I doubt any of them will see WOT at all, unless I jump on and try to fool around on the old iron in the alpine!
For one trip just run them, sure they might be down a little from peak performance but we haven’t had any real problems. Carry a extra set of plugs in case they foul one from heaven fueling.

My sons carbed 550 evo Rmk still has stock sea level jetting and run fine in mcbride at the top of Bell.
Carry extra plugs?!? These are all old 2 strokes and one's a greasy triple! I should own stock in NGK! Hahaha! I actually bought two cases this year. I have 20 new plugs. Luckily all my sleds use the same plugs, which makes it super easy.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup my 500 summit rode from sea level to the elevation s in Revelstoke within days and never missed a beat, hac works great.will need a clutch adjustment for max performance but not really necessary for just playing around.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
If you do run into a problem when you get there, You can try dropping the needle one notch.---minor adjustment that is easy to do and just might clear the over fueling up.. We used to have a lot of prairie people come to Elkford that would also cut a sharper angle on a spare slide that they would install for riding higher elevations.. Every Yamaha, sled or bike, that we sold got rejeted for the locals..

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
If you do run into a problem when you get there, You can try dropping the needle one notch.---minor adjustment that is easy to do and just might clear the over fueling up.. We used to have a lot of prairie people come to Elkford that would also cut a sharper angle on a spare slide that they would install for riding higher elevations.. Every Yamaha, sled or bike, that we sold got rejeted for the locals..
Yes, dropping the needles (raising the e clip 1 notch) will help but don’t forget to put it back when you get home or you could seize a piston from being lean. Been there, done that.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We took the wifes 2001 carb 500 venture (phazer motor) up to Boulder and Frisby cabin last year with no modification. Her sled ran fine.

Top Bottom