Oil Change issues

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does not seem to matter where you go dealership or lube shop people working there need to be trained properly no matter where you work and take pride in it . Lots of people say it’s just an oil change but many people mess it up.
Bingo, between lack of training and lack of pride in workmanship, there's bound to be screwups regularly. That and some people just aren't cut out to work on vehicles.

I took my 2022 duramax into the dealer for its first oil change recently (Dealer "throws in" 2 free oil changes when you buy a vehicle). I pull into the quick lube bay, they take my info, do all the checks etc. I mention to them, "I want synthetic oil put in". Ok no problem. I also hand the kid an oil sample bottle because I'm a nerd and like to see that kind of data. He gives me a bit of a puzzled look and I explain what it is. Fast forward a few minutes, I ask what weight of oil he's putting in. "Conventional"... No, what weight, "Oh I'm not too sure". Ok but I specifically asked for synthetic, IE 5W40 synthetic. "Oh that'll be an extra charge as synthetic isn't covered under the free oil changes". Ok fine, I hand them my visa. At this time he comes back and hands me the oil sample bottle with new oil in it... I politely tell him its for the used oil so it can be analyzed at Finning's oil lab. "Ohhhh sorry man". Needless to say the next oil change will be done by me.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what does that run you for an oil sample? Petrocan all ways pays for ours. Would like to get one done on my own truck

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Oil sample bottle is about $30 that includes the analysis. I'll triple check that price when I get back to work next week

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i took my 21 duramax in for its first free oil change i don't think they even did it. 7500k. drove out of the bay and shut it off and pulled the stick. looked just as dirty. picked up the oil and filter and went home and did it myself that afternoon. oil was black and i had a bitch of a time getting the filter off. scammers.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bingo, between lack of training and lack of pride in workmanship, there's bound to be screwups regularly. That and some people just aren't cut out to work on vehicles.

I took my 2022 duramax into the dealer for its first oil change recently (Dealer "throws in" 2 free oil changes when you buy a vehicle). I pull into the quick lube bay, they take my info, do all the checks etc. I mention to them, "I want synthetic oil put in". Ok no problem. I also hand the kid an oil sample bottle because I'm a nerd and like to see that kind of data. He gives me a bit of a puzzled look and I explain what it is. Fast forward a few minutes, I ask what weight of oil he's putting in. "Conventional"... No, what weight, "Oh I'm not too sure". Ok but I specifically asked for synthetic, IE 5W40 synthetic. "Oh that'll be an extra charge as synthetic isn't covered under the free oil changes". Ok fine, I hand them my visa. At this time he comes back and hands me the oil sample bottle with new oil in it... I politely tell him its for the used oil so it can be analyzed at Finning's oil lab. "Ohhhh sorry man". Needless to say the next oil change will be done by me.
When I worked for Finning up in fort Mac we used to have guys come in lots for oil sample kits for their personal rigs. back then it was $15.

brad6

Reaction score
Bought a new to me 2019 GMC AT4 from the dealer this year just before Christmas. Noticed after I had it few weeks, probably closer to a month, when I had the hood open to boost a co worker one day. Just happened to see no filler cap on oil fill. Managed to find the cap rattling around up front on the driver's side....

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't care if its a dealer or a quick lube type of place, they all essentially have the least trained people doing oil changes on vehicles. I don't use quick lube places as a rule. I do most of my own oil changes. however when I've gone to a dealer, be it Ford, Chev, Toyota or Honda, I've had issues with all of them completing oil changes without incident. Issues include not replacing oil cap properly or dipstick left out under hood, wrong oil put in vehicle, wrong oil filter (explanation: why did I find a Canadian Tire Motomaster oil filter on my Ford after an oil change at Ford??). Then there's cross threading the oil plug on my oil pan & having to replace the oil pan because of it. When I have anyone else change oil I always open the hood, check the oil by pulling the dipstick and visually inspecting the vehicle before I start the vehicle and leave. The amount of crap I've found under the hood of my vehicle is ridiculous....tools, zipties, a mirror, loose oil fill caps & misplaced dipsticks. If I am paying for work to be done by these so called "professionals" I expect it done right. I am amazed at the crap I've found, which is why I always inspect my vehicle and double check work done before leaving the lot.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I have always done is place the oil cap by the hood latch so you cant close the hood with the cap off. You also always know where it is every time.

Top Bottom