NS Government Owns Peoples Body After Death!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
https://novascotia.ca/organ-and-tis...yv_AvSa5RmRWzI3agARvgb3LofWxfrE6vgEnz2So2bQ80

You can always sign a card to donate, but now you have to sign to not donate.

It actually makes sense.... If your that opposed to organ donation sign the card. Most folks probably don't care either way but still don't sign the card. Anyone who is that strongly against it can just sign the card. I think this will provide a huge increase in organ donation from those who are otherwise indifferent. If my organs can help save a life or two in the event of an accidental death I'd have nonissue with donation......yet I've not signed up to be an organ donor, considering I live in Alberta and not NS, I guess I should sign the card.....

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with this, having known people that have received organ and marrow transplants, it is literally a life saving move on part of the government.

Really who cares what happens to your organs/tissues when you die, especially if they can save or prolong another's life.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with this, having known people that have received organ and marrow transplants, it is literally a life saving move on part of the government.

Really who cares what happens to your organs/tissues when you die, especially if they can save or prolong another's life.

Agreed. Additionally, having a bigger, more secure supply of needed organs and tissues reduces suffering of those needing them and allow them to return to normalcy quicker, as well as reducing costs to the health care system. People that don’t want to participate for whatever reason can opt out. Hopefully the rest of Canada and the states will follow suit.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prior to now the NS people had that choice to donate. Now the choice is to not donate. The choice is there but it really grinds my gears when the Government tells you to make a choice. It's another step in government control in my view. Since when should the government own your ass?

I already have signed up for donation of any organs of use. My liver will not be of much use!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Prior to now the NS people had that choice to donate. Now the choice is to not donate. The choice is there but it really grinds my gears when the Government tells you to make a choice. It's another step in government control in my view. Since when should the government own your ass?

I already have signed up for donation of any organs of use. My liver will not be of much use!!

I see where your coming from, but in this case I believe the biggest hurdle in securing useable organs is indifference and laziness. I don't look at it as the "government owning you" I look at it more like a mandatory recycling program unless you choose to opt out.....

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can opt out so easily, it’s pretty far from the government owning you.
Wish I could opt out of taxes the next 4-8 years

Heart transplant saved my buddy Adam’s life back home in Nova Scotia a few years ago

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't see the down side here, if it will save a person in need im all for it, could be you or me. Fore warning though not sure my liver and kidney will be of much use

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if im reading this wrong but even if you opt out they still can take your organs.

Quoted from link

"When the change takes effect on 18 January 2021, people who don’t register to be a donor or opt out and are eligible will be seen as having consented to donating their organs and tissues after death. This is referred to as deemed consent"

"Those who are not eligible for deemed consent include:

people 18 or younger

people without decision-making capacity

people who have lived in Nova Scotia less than 12 months"

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I think that is just poorly written. The article I read stated that there is a simple opt-out process for those not wanting to be included....

Correct me if im reading this wrong but even if you opt out they still can take your organs.

Quoted from link

"When the change takes effect on 18 January 2021, people who don’t register to be a donor or opt out and are eligible will be seen as having consented to donating their organs and tissues after death. This is referred to as deemed consent"

"Those who are not eligible for deemed consent include:

people 18 or younger

people without decision-making capacity

people who have lived in Nova Scotia less than 12 months"

HUNT 24/7

Reaction score
Watched a good friend's wife die because she couldn't get a transplant, 32 years old, 2 kids, I'm personally all for it, no sense burying them in the ground if it will save a life.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see where your coming from, but in this case I believe the biggest hurdle in securing useable organs is indifference and laziness. I don't look at it as the "government owning you" I look at it more like a mandatory recycling program unless you choose to opt out.....

I agree it is indifference. Something we just don't think about it. I don't recall being asked about it in the past but last drivers license renewal at AMA was asked and gave consent.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What am i going to do with them when im dead? Gladly give if its any good.
87838aaa54f4d14070f3d78034f3614d.jpg

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only problem I can see is if there is a small chance to save you, or we could harvest your organs.... hopefully they dont go with harvest your organs!

It happens. Organ harvesting is a buisness. It's great that it saves people's lives, and if your dead you dont really need them.

But Hopefully they won't let just you die so they can have them....

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only problem I can see is if there is a small chance to save you, or we could harvest your organs.... hopefully they dont go with harvest your organs!

It happens. Organ harvesting is a buisness. It's great that it saves people's lives, and if your dead you dont really need them.

But Hopefully they won't let just you die so they can have them....

To my understanding organs can't be sold in Canada, and typically every option is exhausted before "pulling the plug".

That being said I've watched family members slowly shrivel away with diseases like MS, having a fully coherent mind trapped in their own body. I have zero desire to go out that way. If I'm laying in a hospital bed and my choices are live like a vegetable for the rest of my life, or pull the plug and let someone else live, pull the cord.

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To my understanding organs can't be sold in Canada, and typically every option is exhausted before "pulling the plug".

That being said I've watched family members slowly shrivel away with diseases like MS, having a fully coherent mind trapped in their own body. I have zero desire to go out that way. If I'm laying in a hospital bed and my choices are live like a vegetable for the rest of my life, or pull the plug and let someone else live, pull the cord.

Fair enough,that's admirable. People with $ go to China for organs, some times they take them out of living people I've heard... Canada is better than that I think. But If I'm in an accident or something and I have even a small chance at living, I want them to exhaust every option before pulling the plug to save someone else..

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fair enough,that's admirable. People with $ go to China for organs, some times they take them out of living people I've heard... Canada is better than that I think. But If I'm in an accident or something and I have even a small chance at living, I want them to exhaust every option before pulling the plug to save someone else..

Don't get me wrong, I'd hope they exhaust every option on me too. But being in a coma or lying as a vegetable for 20 years isn't for me.

You're right that there is a market elsewhere for bought organs. South Asia in particular, poor people will sell one of their kidneys for extra income. That can be done in Canada too, you can give a kidney, part of your liver, blood, bone marrow, etc, to another person (most often done for family members). The difference is money doesn't change hands, at least not in any form above the table.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I seen a documentary on that, makes a person puke, they said they would haverst organs when people were alive and spoke with people undercover who seen it.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mind what ever is left being used for the good of others, my card is signed.

I do have a problem with just taking - like maybe get family approval first.
Just have an issue with the just take - especially with the gov.

Top Bottom