New vs old

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what people said 6-12 months ago. I don't see anything changing.

It’s going to take a while for fire sales. But every month it will get worse. The more mortgages that get renewed at these rates will have some ppl thinking oh ch!t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dec was slowest new vehicle sales month since 2019 that means that inventory is going to catch up on the dealer lots and more new supply means guys aren't going to pay $5k less than new for a used pickup anymore. Couple that with effect of increased interest rates and prices will moderate.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That does not sense to me, down 1-2 years of wtty & 40k + miles. The 2024 mid release is coming up very soon & I'm betting 2023's will be hanging around lots & pricing adjusted. Maybe even some nice low finance incentives like the olden days. If you are going to run this one until it's dead wouldn't you want to start fresh?

I will probably order a 2024.
I'm thinking keep for 2-3 years and trade again on 1-2 year old
it was a fleet purchase so comes with the 6 year powertrain

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prices are going to come down shortly. Inventory is creeping up at dealers and sales will continue to slow. IMO unless it's a must I wouldn't be upgrading a vehicle right now, if you do i'd go used. Anyone buying new right now is going to be seriously upside down in a few years.

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat in Feb 2020, had a 2011 Ram 3500 with close to 240k, had seen some hard km's and 7 sets of tires was starting to go to the shop on a regular basis.
Electrical gremlins were the most concerning, hours and hours of chasing and diagnosing, the straw that broke the back was, when the cruise was set going down the highway, if you rolled down both front windows at the same time the cruise would kick off... Sold it and picked up a 2019 CCLB F350, looking back it worked out perfect for me as covid pricing wasnt a thing yet. Its turned into a bit of a driveway queen and only has 27k on it, I picked up a 08 chevy half ton that I daily drive in hopes of keeping the F350 for a long time without stacking up big km's on it.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dec was slowest new vehicle sales month since 2019 that means that inventory is going to catch up on the dealer lots and more new supply means guys aren't going to pay $5k less than new for a used pickup anymore. Couple that with effect of increased interest rates and prices will moderate.

In a market where every vehicle that rolls off the assembly line is pre-sold, a lower sales figure last month means that the manufacturers continued to throttle down production to prolong the inventory shortage and control sales prices.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
new stuff is filling up the lots but used is going south again since there winter storms and some pile ups on the freeways

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a market where every vehicle that rolls off the assembly line is pre-sold, a lower sales figure last month means that the manufacturers continued to throttle down production to prolong the inventory shortage and control sales prices.
They're going to try and control supply as long as they can as they are enjoying insane profit margins but those multi-billion dollar factories can only be throttled back so much before it wrecks their cost structure. There is huge fixed overhead costs to those facilities so they need big volume to spread that across. The pre-sales and supply issue will last longer on loaded diesel 1 tons than it does on Hyundai sedans.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on the brand though, dodge has lots. Local Toyota dealer only has one of each on the lot for test drives, everything must be ordered and is still up to a year out.
Ive never stepped foot on a toyoto lot in my life, so Ill take your word for it

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Won’t change and can’t sample fact is that most people don’t buy vehicles they just make payments. And with the loans now going so long they always owe more money than they are worth so it keeps the price up

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think they are going to do with the built units waiting at the plant parking lots waiting for chips? They will need to have some deep discounts to move 2-3 year old vehicles?

absolutely nothing unfortunately. i have a few trucks sitting in said lots. The only reason we are keeping the orders is because the units have secured pricing from the order. from 2022-2023 models the price increased and it will again for 2024 orders. By the time those units arrive we will be paying 10k+- less than if we were to order the same thing. Dealers will have those units sold 10x over if someone backs out of them. We have all of our 2023 models already before we received most of our 2022 models and GMC is no hurry as they have already been written off in their books. They will get to them when they get to them essentially.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can tell you one thing, if your not happy with the paint on your current truck you wont be pleased with anything new. All of these new trucks are complete junk compared to 10 year old comparable model. Paint, chromes, anything they could pinch a penny on they did. Ive got brand new 2022 GMC trucks rusting.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can tell you one thing, if your not happy with the paint on your current truck you wont be pleased with anything new. All of these new trucks are complete junk compared to 10 year old comparable model. Paint, chromes, anything they could pinch a penny on they did. Ive got brand new 2022 GMC trucks rusting.
All brands are terrible . Water base paint and can’t believe they can get it applied so thin.
Paint protection , ceramic coating , blah blah to try and keep something decent that was way to much money to begin with.
I had a Ford 1/2 ton in 2016 and was totally discussed with the plastics . Broken with the smallest little pebble and so on .
My old 2012 GMC Duramax hasn’t had one thing broken driving all the same roads and same rocks I told dealer .
Few years later I found out they inject coffee bean chaff into the plastic .

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The paint on my 17 Alumiduty is the best I've ever had for not chipping. 400k and it's amazing. Mirror mounts are broke in places though.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100%. my 2015 gmc is full of rock chips and inside of doors is already rusting. I wash it constantly too. I washed it 3 times last week and every time I wash it I find more chips and more rust. The new paint is garbage

Top Bottom