New trailer

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger trailer. We currently have a 2007 20BH jayco but would like a 24-26' with a walk around bed and a regular size pull out. I run a 2018 Tundra and we do have a permanent campsite but still might tour around with the trailer. What should I not even consider or what should I look at? We probably will be buying in the fall so wanna start the process now. My wife likes the Jayco 248RBSW and I like 245RLS. Both towable with my truck.. Any thoughts???

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger trailer. We currently have a 2007 20BH jayco but would like a 24-26' with a walk around bed and a regular size pull out. I run a 2018 Tundra and we do have a permanent campsite but still might tour around with the trailer. What should I not even consider or what should I look at? We probably will be buying in the fall so wanna start the process now. My wife likes the Jayco 248RBSW and I like 245RLS. Both towable with my truck.. Any thoughts???

The length doesn't matter as much as the weight unless your parking spot is limited. I personally don't like to pull any trailer heavier than my truck. That is why I drive a 3500. It is not just about power although being under-powered is annoying. It is about heavy side winds and how it can take lighter trucks out of control. So depending on where you live and roads you drive, should be a big factor if a 26 ft' 8000lb trailer is too much for a Toyota.

Next is, are you looking for another family trailer? Those are very easy to find compared to a higher end "empty nester" bumper pull trailer. For some reason manufacturers rarely cater to customers who want high end bumper pulls and force most into a 5th wheel. There are those who see the value in having a tuck box for toys and not a trailer hitch.

Anyway depending on your needs here, the answers to you question will be very different.

Also are you looking to buy new or used? How much are you willing to spend?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel 6000 pounds dry weight is my limit,. We will be looking for new. as per $$$$ I'm thinking 40-45 grand. and I want a pull type as I need the box and must have a walk around bed and a couch.
The length doesn't matter as much as the weight unless your parking spot is limited. I personally don't like to pull any trailer heavier than my truck. That is why I drive a 3500. It is not just about power although being under-powered is annoying. It is about heavy side winds and how it can take lighter trucks out of control. So depending on where you live and roads you drive, should be a big factor if a 26 ft' 8000lb trailer is too much for a Toyota.

Next is, are you looking for another family trailer? Those are very easy to find compared to a higher end "empty nester" bumper pull trailer. For some reason manufacturers rarely cater to customers who want high end bumper pulls and force most into a 5th wheel. There are those who see the value in having a tuck box for toys and not a trailer hitch.

Anyway depending on your needs here, the answers to you question will be very different.

Also are you looking to buy new or used? How much are you willing to spend?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pay attention to where the tanks sit.
And storage compartments are.

I have a 26ft Springdale.
All my storage is behind the axles
Fresh water tank is at the front.
Grey and black at the back.

I find if that fresh water tank is empty when i tow, i fight a lot of sway.

This can be problem when crown land camping. As the black and grey tank are part full and the fresh is near empty the trailer sways all the way to the sani station.

My truck is a 1 ton

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave your purchase to long as your options will diminish. People I know in the industry say the demand is still through the roof and it will be harder and harder to find what you want in the fall. People that want to upgrade for next spring may be inclined to sell early towards the off season though but then there is the dreaded covid pricing. Good luck with your purchase!

gforce_15

Reaction score
as mentioned, supply is getting low in my area anyways. I ordered my new TT in January and it was built and delivered in 11 weeks. Salesman said someone else ordered the same TT as me a month later and he won't get his now until September

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked with a x-coworker today that bought a camping trailer end of March and this week the same trailer sells for $7000 more than what he paid.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My toyhauler is 12000lbs . My old dodge is not . I thought u can tow 10k with a half ton everybody doing it . Just remember to say in the slow lane with that tundra when u see the mega cab cummins coming u know the type loud and smokey. Haha.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck is all I can say, our Jayco dealer is running out of inventory fast, pricing has jumped accordingly.

Our Keystone dealer still has a bunch on the lot, but having owned a Keystone I can't recommend that anyone else purchase one. Ours was a lemon from day 1, we liked the trailer layout, but sucks fixing something every weekend its used.

I'd also look at Grand Design or Coachmen. Winnebago also has a few smaller travel trailer floor plans made for couples.

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck is all I can say, our Jayco dealer is running out of inventory fast, pricing has jumped accordingly.

Our Keystone dealer still has a bunch on the lot, but having owned a Keystone I can't recommend that anyone else purchase one. Ours was a lemon from day 1, we liked the trailer layout, but sucks fixing something every weekend its used.

I'd also look at Grand Design or Coachmen. Winnebago also has a few smaller travel trailer floor plans made for couples.

Wow. What issues have you had with your Keystone?
We've been fortunate so far. Haven't had any with ours.
Other than trailer sway unless the water tank is full.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. What issues have you had with your Keystone?
We've been fortunate so far. Haven't had any with ours.
Other than trailer sway unless the water tank is full.

Cracked bathtub, broken window latches, multiple faulty oven pilot lights, leaking bathtub taps (leaked behind wall), numerous pieces of interior trim falling off, staples poking through carpet, frequent repairs needed to roof sealant due to bubbles in factory sealant coming to surface and popping, repairs needed to roof membrane due to staples and other junk being left underneath, poor furnace operation (the furnace was modified by keystone to feed a single small rectangular duct, instead of 3 round 4" ducts it was designed for, burner cycled on and off frequently and didn't deliver much heat). I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

That trailer was a Hideout fifthwheel (281dbs), one of their entry level models but I still expected better quality for the $50k we paid. That trailer burnt to the ground while waiting for another thermocouple for the oven pilot light in a fire engulfing the service department of our dealer on May 31 of last year.

We purchased a Jayco Eagle 29.5bhds fifth wheel to replace it, we paid $12k more for it but I feel we got twice the trailer. No issues with it so far, been a good unit. I can see every place where that $12k went, 16" goodyear tires, self adjusting brakes, better insulation, plywood instead of mdf interior, etc. It even came with solar prep, so I just recently threw a 310 watt solar panel on the roof with a Victron MPPT charge controller and Victron inverter to power small 120 volt appliances for off-grid camping, looking forward to trying that out soon.

There are lots of people that have had good luck with Keystone, but I can't recommend them based on my experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom