New SXS, have some questions

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just bought myself a yamaha viking and I have a few questions:

Has anyone run a rear windshield without a full front? I'm not a fan of full front windows when they get muddy or scratched, But I'd like to run a soft rear window because people say it cuts down on the engine noise a bunch. On that note has anyone ran there snorkels through a window? I'm not sure how the soft plastic would hold up with a hole cut out for the window.

What do you guys do with toddlers? I bought a cheap second hand carseat but the seatbelt doesn't seem to hold it great and there isn't really anywhere great to hook the rear UAS strap like in a car. I'm debating doing ratchet straps but that feels a little too redneck so if you have any better solutions I'm listening. It has to be easily removable too because the air filter is under the center seat.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to ratchet strap mine in when the kids were in car seats. Worked great and the seats didn’t move an inch.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just bought myself a yamaha viking and I have a few questions:

Has anyone run a rear windshield without a full front? I'm not a fan of full front windows when they get muddy or scratched, But I'd like to run a soft rear window because people say it cuts down on the engine noise a bunch. On that note has anyone ran there snorkels through a window? I'm not sure how the soft plastic would hold up with a hole cut out for the window.

What do you guys do with toddlers? I bought a cheap second hand carseat but the seatbelt doesn't seem to hold it great and there isn't really anywhere great to hook the rear UAS strap like in a car. I'm debating doing ratchet straps but that feels a little too redneck so if you have any better solutions I'm listening. It has to be easily removable too because the air filter is under the center seat.

the seat belt held our car seats pretty well when the kids was small. Was in a ranger though, but at the same time how aggressive are you get when carrying toddlers.

Congrats on your purchase, great family fun

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'll probably put the seat belt through and then use a ratchet strap back to the frame for the rear strap. I won't be doing anything too crazy with a 3 yr old but I'd like it to be solid. Anyone have any rear window experience? maybe I'll just throw some soundproofing under the seat and call it good.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'll probably put the seat belt through and then use a ratchet strap back to the frame for the rear strap. I won't be doing anything too crazy with a 3 yr old but I'd like it to be solid. Anyone have any rear window experience? maybe I'll just throw some soundproofing under the seat and call it good.
I had a ranger 1000 for the summer of 2019. I unbolted the center seatbelt and used the built in strap into the bolt holes and cinched the seat down. It was solid. We didn't do much crazy with the 2 year old in the ranger with us but we did some fairly tough trails. He slept most the time.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing I forgot was the dust swirl in the back seat. I actually take the front window off in the summer because the back seat just gets dusted out. But again thats on a ranger so not sure about other makes.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a yamaha rhino i bought a kit that went under the seat and between the dump box man did that reduce the dust and noise and heat, and the car seat i just ratchet strapped that in the middle it never moved an inch ever. I see on the viking the kit is to cover the rear window and between the dump box to reduce dust. Why don't you just tap on a tarp temporary and see how much dust it reduces first.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing I forgot was the dust swirl in the back seat. I actually take the front window off in the summer because the back seat just gets dusted out. But again that's on a ranger so not sure about other makes.

That's with a full front right? I've heard that if you run a full front you also have to run a rear to control the dust. I've never heard of people running a rear without a full front, so that's why I was curious. I'm not sure if the extra wind on it would damage it or cause it to come undone or something. Maybe once it warms up enough to go for a decent ride I'll try to tarp it and see how it goes.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's with a full front right? I've heard that if you run a full front you also have to run a rear to control the dust. I've never heard of people running a rear without a full front, so that's why I was curious. I'm not sure if the extra wind on it would damage it or cause it to come undone or something. Maybe once it warms up enough to go for a decent ride I'll try to tarp it and see how it goes.

Yes full front and full rear. Just seems like it swirls in there and the back seat gets dusted out. Seemed worse before I put the rear on. I've heard that if you go to a half front and full rear it solves the problem but I just take the front window off for the summer, sux in the rain though.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get a full front for it get the one with vents. That way you open them and gets positive pressure in the cab keeping the dust out. But like said above not the best in summer they get covered in mud and you drive with your head sticking out the side.

Top Bottom