New estimates on how much longer the chip shortage will last

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew how to make computer chips. I would make tons of them and get rich!
now your thinking, i can tell you now the chinese never new how either, they just copied someone else's. I don't think anyone can tell us anything Huawei invented, just stolen technology.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they have a dated contract with me?
I guess folks get the $500 back then?
Does a fellow ask for an extra year warranty?

Got a sweet deal on my new sled and dont think the dealer would do the same deal for a 2023 snowcheck if I refuse late delivery,,,If at all.

What do you have to say about these questions Ken?

Greatly appreciate your response..
will see if BRP steps up, what are the odds.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I
So they have a dated contract with me?
I guess folks get the $500 back then?
Does a fellow ask for an extra year warranty?

Got a sweet deal on my new sled and dont think the dealer would do the same deal for a 2023 snowcheck if I refuse late delivery,,,If at all.

What do you have to say about these questions Ken?

Greatly appreciate your response..
I explained it on the BRP delay thread Richard. Call your dealer and see when your new delivery date is scheduled. If you don’t like the scheduled date you can cancel your snow check before Oct 31st. You can either get your money back or they will move it to a 2023 snowcheck if you want. They will not be offering any extras like more warranty they said. It’s out of their hands and these are the only offers they are making. Good luck bud. Hopefully you have a good date for your sled.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I

I explained it on the BRP delay thread Richard. Call your dealer and see when your new delivery date is scheduled. If you don’t like the scheduled date you can cancel your snow check before Oct 31st. You can either get your money back or they will move it to a 2023 snowcheck if you want. They will not be offering any extras like more warranty they said. It’s out of their hands and these are the only offers they are making. Good luck bud. Hopefully you have a good date for your sled.
Thank you.
Did not know about another thread.
I am not on the site to much in summer.
Thank you sir.
I know my sled is at the dealer in a crate since before Aug long weekend.
Dealer just said that is was not complete and will not be uncrated till parts arrive.

Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones whoe gets all the missing parts and ride on for the season on a new whip?

Wait and see I guess

Damn, finally found other thread....

Will you get to ride your Ski-Doo next winter ??​

LOL. Thanks...

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to be rather blunt, China has had this planned for some time now! they want to bring North America to it's knees, looks like they are doing a good job, they will never produce chips in any quantity, shuts down GM, ford, Dodge. skidoo;s , atv's etc. when another manufacturer gets ready to start making chips, the chinese will find a bunch, distribute some to everyone, till the new chip maker folds , then they will lose all there chips again, i could be wrong but doubt it! don't get caught up in seeing big changes, it's not going to happen. North America got caught with there pants down.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
keep your money in your pocket before manufacturers start to fold.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now your thinking, i can tell you now the chinese never new how either, they just copied someone else's. I don't think anyone can tell us anything Huawei invented, just stolen technology.

Pretty sure it was just a straight fwd name change on Chinas end - Nortel changed over to Huawei.. ssshhhh...its supposed to be a secret..

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Waited over a year for a new F350 Platty, I was excited to get the call that a MY 2022 came in for me - only issue being its an F250...

Read above it was 3 items they needed electronics for, see if they could combine or eliminate a function so you could at least ride.. Dumb as it sounds, add a key and DESS is just a tether or something like that.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Waited over a year for a new F350 Platty, I was excited to get the call that a MY 2022 came in for me - only issue being its an F250...

Read above it was 3 items they needed electronics for, see if they could combine or eliminate a function so you could at least ride.. Dumb as it sounds, add a key and DESS is just a tether or something like that.
In a lot of cases they will delete the security feature on the DESS post and will be using in stock 2017 gauge paks

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why we wait for semi conductors from China for another year. The USA or even Canada could build a semi-conductor plant and get us on our way to less dependency on China. Or is this just too hard to figure out for North America?
Trudeau is to busy building a ventilator plant for his ex Liberal MP.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why we wait for semi conductors from China for another year. The USA or even Canada could build a semi-conductor plant and get us on our way to less dependency on China. Or is this just too hard to figure out for North America?

It will take a Canadian Company way longer to get approved and started up. Have to consult way to many groups and make sure pockets are lined properly. No such thing as crown land or Canadian waterways anymore.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're not talking about some basic manufacturing facilities to build these chips, we're talking about cutting edge technologies and processes that are working on such minute scales it almost impossible to imagine. An average human hair is 75,000 nanometers across, TSMC is building transistors for AMD that are 22 nanometers across, meaning 3,400 transistors fit in the width of a human hair. The current generation of AMD CPU's built by TSMC have 10.7 million transistors on an area smaller than a human thumbnail.

So not to say we can't do it, but it's going to cost billions of dollars and many years to get these foundry's up and running. Biden has committed $52 billion back in June to increasing chip production in the US and reduce the reliance on China. Canada could do the same but would also rely on the financial backing of the government and taxpayers to make it happen. So I guess that's the question, are we okay taking the chance of having chip shortages again in the future or should the taxpayer be burdened with the cost of creating our own manufacturing facility?

To give an idea of the scale of these facilities, this is a tour of the TSMC foundry in Taiwan:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We're not talking about some basic manufacturing facilities to build these chips, we're talking about cutting edge technologies and processes that are working on such minute scales it almost impossible to imagine. An average human hair is 75,000 nanometers across, TSMC is building transistors for AMD that are 22 nanometers across, meaning 3,400 transistors fit in the width of a human hair. The current generation of AMD CPU's built by TSMC have 10.7 million transistors on an area smaller than a human thumbnail.

So not to say we can't do it, but it's going to cost billions of dollars and many years to get these foundry's up and running. Biden has committed $52 billion back in June to increasing chip production in the US and reduce the reliance on China. Canada could do the same but would also rely on the financial backing of the government and taxpayers to make it happen. So I guess that's the question, are we okay taking the chance of having chip shortages again in the future or should the taxpayer be burdened with the cost of creating our own manufacturing facility?

To give an idea of the scale of these facilities, this is a tour of the TSMC foundry in Taiwan:

22 nanometers across? Would that fit in a syringe needle? Asking for some friends....:tinfoil3:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
22 nanometers across? Would that fit in a syringe needle? Asking for some friends....:tinfoil3:

God damnit, now we're getting moved to the Covid section.

Yes it would fit in a needle, but a single transistor doesn't do anything, that's just a single switch, you need a whole bunch of transistors to make an integrated circuit to be programmable to do anything, by time you add a power source, antennae, etc it probably wouldn't fit through the needle. Maybe some lab has created such a thing, but I'm not sure how it could have a transmitting/receiving antennae powerful enough to go through the skin.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
God damnit, now we're getting moved to the Covid section.

Yes it would fit in a needle, but a single transistor doesn't do anything, that's just a single switch, you need a whole bunch of transistors to make an integrated circuit to be programmable to do anything, by time you add a power source, antennae, etc it probably wouldn't fit through the needle. Maybe some lab has created such a thing, but I'm not sure how it could have a transmitting/receiving antennae powerful enough to go through the skin.
It would explain the shortage. HaHa!

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to be rather blunt, China has had this planned for some time now! they want to bring North America to it's knees, looks like they are doing a good job, they will never produce chips in any quantity, shuts down GM, ford, Dodge. skidoo;s , atv's etc. when another manufacturer gets ready to start making chips, the chinese will find a bunch, distribute some to everyone, till the new chip maker folds , then they will lose all there chips again, i could be wrong but doubt it! don't get caught up in seeing big changes, it's not going to happen. North America got caught with there pants down.
That is not what happened.....the chip shortage has nothing to do with any country purposefully not supplying chips. Yes, you could be wrong.....

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is not what happened.....the chip shortage has nothing to do with any country purposefully not supplying chips. Yes, you could be wrong.....
you keep thinking that way.... China is behind this whole ch!t show in every way... It just got more more of control then they were planning.. They want control of everything look how they run their country the only place yo can get the real story on what is happening over their is on the dark webs that most people do not even know how to access... Why do you think their is no shortage on consumer electronics they are all made in china i can go into any electronics store and buy a new phone, computer, or tv with no delay. But i cannot go buy a new car, truck, atv, etc due to chip shortage...LOL.. that stuff is not made in china...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you keep thinking that way.... China is behind this whole ch!t show in every way... It just got more more of control then they were planning.. They want control of everything look how they run their country the only place yo can get the real story on what is happening over their is on the dark webs that most people do not even know how to access... Why do you think their is no shortage on consumer electronics they are all made in china i can go into any electronics store and buy a new phone, computer, or tv with no delay. But i cannot go buy a new car, truck, atv, etc due to chip shortage...LOL.. that stuff is not made in china...
You realize smart phones have microprocessors in them as well as car and trucks? A big problem with the chip shortage for North America is the plant in Texas that went down in the 2020 ice storm for months. When you think of how many times they can make in just one day it’s pretty easy to see how manufacturers can get behind the eight ball in such a short time.

Top Bottom