New Defender XMR

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha Viking is not even close to any other offerings. Some refinements on 2015 and mostly 2016 model. I own a 2016 Viking, got it for a steal to use mostly on acreage for yard work, did better than a friends Ranger 1000 in the mud hunting this fall though but that’s thanks to lighter weight and locker.

They’re slow and loud though so they are not for everyone... Just couldn’t justify a Defender or Ranger’s high cost for what I need, low power also keeps me in check!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked at all the manufacturers when I was shopping for my SxS. I found based on feature for feature, reliability and build quality of machine and accessories the can am was the best. Polaris was good for accessories, but the build quality and reliability are lacking, and the Japanese manufacturers like always are good on reliability, but poor for innovation and accessory quality.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5e2f3ce140763f75319933487fe39e0a.jpg

2019 with 400 kms.
Wanted the 2020 -21 with the extra hp but not for $11k more.
Will put full glass windshield with wiper , back window and heater for now .
Still trying to decide on full cab but can keep adding as I see fit .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210131/5e2f3ce140763f75319933487fe39e0a.jpg

2019 with 400 kms.
Wanted the 2020 -21 with the extra hp but not for $11k more.
Will put full glass windshield with wiper , back window and heater for now .
Still trying to decide on full cab but can keep adding as I see fit .

It’s a bit of a PITA to get the rear window on the XMR with the snorkels but it can be done despite what canam says.... let me know which heater you go with. I’m thinking the ice crusher but won’t likely get it done for this winter, so if you get yours done sooner I’d like to hear what you did.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
916db10d20fbd28db863b43180405f8d.png

Was thinking this for rear window but will probably go with BRP glass one as this will scratch .
Probably go with BRP heater even though it’s more money .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210201/916db10d20fbd28db863b43180405f8d.png
Was thinking this for rear window but will probably go with BRP glass one as this will scratch .
Probably go with BRP heater even though it’s more money .

I don’t think a glass rear window will work as the snorkels will rest against the glass when it’s installed, and there’s a bracket on the bottom of the snorkels that you have to drill through the window to re-secure properly. I went with the canam plexiglass rear window. I figured that the rear wouldn’t see the mud that the front would and I could keep it clean without scratching it. The BRP heater for sure is the Cadillac if you don’t mind paying the cash for it....

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t think a glass rear window will work as the snorkels will rest against the glass when it’s installed, and there’s a bracket on the bottom of the snorkels that you have to drill through the window to re-secure properly. I went with the canam plexiglass rear window. I figured that the rear wouldn’t see the mud that the front would and I could keep it clean without scratching it. The BRP heater for sure is the Cadillac if you don’t mind paying the cash for it....

Yeh the snorkels are a problem for sure .
I will probably end up just going with the super atv one as it’s not to costly.
Gibbons installed the glass slider and cut the box a bit it looks like ?
d23efc5427e0efe73fed9949085067bc.png

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go with the brp heater. Ice crusher I put in mine doesn't do much

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go with the brp heater. Ice crusher I put in mine doesn't do much

Yeh I will be as everything will work as it should .
Built for the machine and everything is marked for cutting , rad block off plate and such .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Did you buy the thermostatic bypass thing they sell as an option? What’s the problem with the heater? Not enough air movement or not enough heat in the air?

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the thermostatic bypass thing they sell as an option? What’s the problem with the heater? Not enough air movement or not enough heat in the air?

You bet I put in the max stat as well. Just not enough air flow, you can't ride around in the snow with a t-shirt on like the factory heater guys do.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet I put in the max stat as well. Just not enough air flow, you can't ride around in the snow with a t-shirt on like the factory heater guys do.

Good to know thanks. I was gonna go the ice crusher route but might have to go OEM instead...

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know thanks. I was gonna go the ice crusher route but might have to go OEM instead...

Installed the Can Am heater . It’s a pretty big job but BRP has everything thought out well and a good kit.
Go over all the instructions and watch this video as helps as well .
Also the heater kit is for the Max as well so has some extra piping that isn’t required.
Kit came with two driver side vents so had to order the left side but no big deal .
Dealer looking after it .
https://youtu.be/StTzC2crKRw
c6595fb406228375f0349fc860670b28.jpg

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Installed the Can Am heater . It’s a pretty big job but BRP has everything thought out well and a good kit.
Go over all the instructions and watch this video as helps as well .
Also the heater kit is for the Max as well so has some extra piping that isn’t required.
Kit came with two driver side vents so had to order the left side but no big deal .
Dealer looking after it .
https://youtu.be/StTzC2crKRw
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210213/c6595fb406228375f0349fc860670b28.jpg

I was looking at the installation instructions online and it showed to remove the roof and front roll cage to lift the dash upwards....did you have to do all of that or was it like the video?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the installation instructions online and it showed to remove the roof and front roll cage to lift the dash upwards....did you have to do all of that or was it like the video?

Yeh not sure what instructions those were but no to lifting roll cage and dash .
Bit of a pain but just pull the front side fenders off and you can access through the holes on both sides .
Extra set of small hands is handy to get vent hoses through on drivers side .

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have installed everything except the full doors at this time .
Probably do that this coming fall as a very simple job as wiring all installed .
Will just use the 1/2 doors for now as machine came with them .
Was a quite few hours work to install everything but BRP has everything set up for the installation of roof liner, front overhead liner , dome light ,rear view mirror,heater,and full front glass with wiper and washer .
I used the Super ATV back window for now as it’s cut for the XMR . It fits nice .
Used the Super ATV back bumper as well . Easy install and only two holes to drill .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you had it out this winter with the half doors and heater? Do you not any effects from the heater at all without full doors?

vrscr43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the super ATV bumper inhibit the tilt of the box?

Have installed everything except the full doors at this time .
Probably do that this coming fall as a very simple job as wiring all installed .
Will just use the 1/2 doors for now as machine came with them .
Was a quite few hours work to install everything but BRP has everything set up for the installation of roof liner, front overhead liner , dome light ,rear view mirror,heater,and full front glass with wiper and washer .
I used the Super ATV back window for now as it’s cut for the XMR . It fits nice .
Used the Super ATV back bumper as well . Easy install and only two holes to drill .

Top Bottom