New BC closures for off-road use including snowmobiling.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

It appears the BC greenies are at it again; no sledding in the fire zones so the wildlife can adapt (just a quick summary using my wording). it appears that the trail to Owls (that goes through the Two Mile fire area) will be closed this winter and possibly longer. Never in my 20+ years of riding in BC have I seen restrictions after the forest fire season that affect snowmobilers. No indication from the EVSC as to the solution or whether or not we will be able to use the Owls trail up to the unburnt areas.

Attachments

• IMG_6834.jpeg
    IMG_6834.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 340

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca

It appears the BC greenies are at it again; no sledding in the fire zones so the wildlife can adapt (just a quick summary using my wording). it appears that the trail to Owls (that goes through the Two Mile fire area) will be closed this winter and possibly longer. Never in my 20+ years of riding in BC have I seen restrictions after the forest fire season that affect snowmobilers. No indication from the EVSC as to the solution or whether or not we will be able to use the Owls trail up to the unburnt areas.
I think the main roads through the burnt area will remain open. Can’t speak for sure on owlshead but that’s what I’m getting out of the emails I have received on this. Either way what a joke.

Reactions: H-D

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the mains stay open so there is access to all the other terrain up there. If not... well there are a few other ways in.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rumour has it the Sicamous club is loosing areas. Well not really a club but a snowmobile business. Anyway the story is they were going to groom quest from downtown malakwa (don't know if that goes thru a fire area) as the usual route will be closed for logging operations this winter along with the blue lake access. Now Owlhead may have issues too?

Last edited:

H-D

Reaction score
What a load of BS. I guess we need to use the tactics "they" use..... 50 people protesting really loud changes everything for 5000 people.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So for those of us that aren't as familiar with these area's now closed.

Can someone mark up the map so a simpleton like me can understand it?

I've riden both Owls and Blue. But only a couple of times

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So for those of us that aren't as familiar with these area's now closed.

Can someone mark up the map so a simpleton like me can understand it?

I've riden both Owls and Blue. But only a couple of times
Same here Ryan. Been a few years for me as well

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't tell how that affects the main owlhead road but i drove up a few weeks back and the fires zone was on both sides of the road. For those that ride up from Swansea on skyline it looks to me that is right in the middle of that closed stuff. Guess we will join Hunters, Way cheaper memberships anyway.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is crazy, and sad to see this happening. Doug, has the club released any comment on this?
They haven't as they just found this out last week. I asked and they are hopeful to work something out. logging will interfere with blue lake and quest and they will be providing an update when they can.

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better get used to closures.
Looks like this is going to be the latest method of closing to motorized recreation.
I can see the precedent this sets being used for every wildfire from now on until the NDP gets voted out.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you think the no good dipshyt pricks NDP for short will ever be voted out the tree huggers will never let that happen

slopok

Reaction score
Thanks for the update . I just booked a week at Sicmous sure hope I don’t have to cancel and rebook at another area I so enjoy the mous

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like all of trout lake area is closed. Big area says closed year round

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good Morn. Have watched a lot of snow melt in spring. 1. Packed snow melts slow allowing water to go into ground. Fresh new plants do better in this. 2. Unpacked snow open to sunshine melts supper fast washing dirt down the hill. We have this here in Windermere creek flash run off every year human caused.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Morn. Have watched a lot of snow melt in spring. 1. Packed snow melts slow allowing water to go into ground. Fresh new plants do better in this. 2. Unpacked snow open to sunshine melts supper fast washing dirt down the hill. We have this here in Windermere creek flash run off every year human caused.
You are exactly right. One only has to look at snowmobile tracks in a stubble field in the rural areas. You can see those tracks almost all the next growing season. They stay green longer and the grain is usually a bit taller than the non tracked areas.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck opening up areas.
Article does not say how long areas will be closed.

Be like falls creek south west of Rocky
Probably been over 10 years now it has been closed for reclamation.
They keep saying it will open.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see the dicks snuck ebikes onto the list too, pricks will have them banned soon as well.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The motor vehicle closure applies to all motorized vehicles including automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes, electric bikes, and all types of off-road recreational vehicles, wheeled or tracked, including snowmobiles.

Top Bottom