Needle Jet Adjustment on a 97ish Vmax

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy just called me and he is new to the sledding world and was given an older 97ish short track Vmax sled. We live in the mountains and he wants to use it on the forest service roads as an access sled for ski touring. He took it out last weekend and it was running super rich as it was a prairies sled before.

Anyway he went to the shop and got the proper jets for our elevation but he was told that he needs to adjust his needles up a couple of clips as well. He can't figure out how to do it and he called me. I am going to head up to his house after work and see if I can help him out. I have done a ton of work on Polaris and Skidoo carbs over the years but I don't think I have ever had a Yamaha carb apart.

Are there any tips or tricks you anyone can give me for working on a Yamaha of that vintage. He as explaining the needles to me over the phone and it sounds a little different than anything I have worked on in the past.

Anything would be appreciated.........

yamahacurtis

Reaction score
I used a 700sx 700 in the mountains. Use the stock needle jets in the factory middle position. Use the stock pilots but drop your main jets 4 whole sizes down. Eg 144.2 down to a 140.2. That is just an example. I would install a holzman attack
altitude compensator on it. Adjust the secondary clutch to 4 and 2 setting. I would also take the small plastic washer on the transfer rod and install it where the large washer is. Remove the larger washer and leave it out. Loosen up your limiting strap on the front of the skid. If you do not use max top end speed gear the sled down two teeth. I changed my track to a 136"
the above sled will climb very well straight up but won't side hill worth beans. A lot of fun coming down the logging trail at reshaw!!!!

Top Bottom