Need enclosed trailer recommendations

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just downsized my truck from a dually to a new half ton as it’s more practical for my lifestyle right now. Had a 28’ enclosed but now looking for a 16’ enclosed. Just wondering if anyone has any trailer recommendations or experience towing a 16’ with a half ton. Normally only taking 2 sled but would like the option to take 3. Will this work. Will be putting winters with stud on truck. Thanks for any input

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got an 18ft enclosed fit a 175 an 174 facing towards the front then we backed a 163 down the middle and it was tight but gotter done without damaging anything...

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 sleds in an enclosed trailer.....? And then you want to pull it with a half’r......?

Hope the trailer you find is light...

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a redline all aluminum. 16+5 with tool boxes up,front I can fit 3 175 in it.
id suggest a mid deck over a deck over. 6” lower but no wheel wells inside, I used to pull mine with my f150. Towed great but add a sway bar for the sh!tty windy days.
if your handy buy a trailer and add heat, cabinets and benches, you end up way cheaper and get exactly what you want

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6146F0AF-9054-4768-ACA9-89307D70124E.png
3 sleds in an enclosed trailer.....? And then you want to pull it with a half’r......?

Hope the trailer you find is light...

seriously? A newish 1/2 ton can tow 8-10000 lbs pretty easy

Last edited:

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’d personally go a bit longer then 16, used to have a 18ft. 3 -163 was very tight. Newer half tons tow nice

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a aluminum 14ft with a 5ft v nose and fit 3 mtn sleds no problem with lots of room for tools and gear. The key is getting a 8ft wide interior. No wheel wells!. Trailer is light and a half ton pulls it no problemo with 3 sleds.

Darrell D

Reaction score
i have a 18 X 8 enclosed cargo trailer. Pull 2 or 3 163's with a f150 3.5. No problem with power , you just need to be careful with poor road conditions or high winds. Make sure to use anti sway bars.

Chrisp1

Reaction score
2wd shortbox standard cab ratings?
Probably. I wouldn't want to be pulling 13klbs. trailer behind a 2wd reg cab short box though. I found a big difference pulling my 8.5k lbs. holiday trailer with a supercrew 5.5' box truck to a supercrew with a 6.5' box. The truck felt more planted at hiway speeds. Although high side wind, bumpy road is a neat experience.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled a 7 wide 28 ft Legend all aluminum trailer with 4 174s.... just need to stagger them or can go shorter by running them opposite directions. Amazing trailer and pull like a dream behind my eco F150. Get hold of Firefly on here (Ron Paradis) he'll tell all there is to know about them

Levithan

Reaction score
Some of those load capacities you can have two on the deck and two in the trailer easy peasy.
Ummmmm nope, trailer only with gear in box.
I work for ford and have seen first hand what happens when you put a sled deck, two sleds, gear, 4 guys and towing a double trailer.
Rear suspension was destroyed, both leaf springs broken and bent, rear shocks blown out, tires cupped.
Ford nor any other manufacture will warranty this as it is abuse and over payload limit.
Not good.
People don't factor in tounge weight, 4-5 people and all the gear you need for gvwr.
The people alone can weigh upwards of 1000lbs.
so if you factor in 1000lbs of people, 200-300lbs of sled deck, 500-800 lbs of gear/food/gas then add 2 sleds at 1000lbs wet as well as 100-200lbs of tounge weight you are right at or over max payload capacity.
No truck is designed to have max cap weight on them and run down the road.
You would need to change out the leaf springs packs and add air bags which in turn will make the truck ride horribly.

Top Bottom