Need advice on what quad to buy

rlook

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have typically rode a dirtbike and sled for the last 15 years but I am now looking to get into quadding and need some advice on what quad to buy. I'm not new to riding quads, but I just don't know what type of quad is best for what I want to do with it.

The type of riding I will be doing with the quad is mainly trails, occasional mud but no major mud-bogging, and some altitude riding. 100km a day would be a typical length of ride. I would like to get a standard size 4x4 quad, but then add on a 2-up seat as my wife and I would like to ride together.

I'm looking for advice as to what model of quad is best suited for this setup and riding style, as well as what size engine I need for 2 person riding.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have typically rode a dirtbike and sled for the last 15 years but I am now looking to get into quadding and need some advice on what quad to buy. I'm not new to riding quads, but I just don't know what type of quad is best for what I want to do with it.

The type of riding I will be doing with the quad is mainly trails, occasional mud but no major mud-bogging, and some altitude riding. 100km a day would be a typical length of ride. I would like to get a standard size 4x4 quad, but then add on a 2-up seat as my wife and I would like to ride together.

I'm looking for advice as to what model of quad is best suited for this setup and riding style, as well as what size engine I need for 2 person riding.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

i would recommend a yamaha grizzly 550 eps , reliable , fuel efficent (i know most quads are) , and great for trails!

GOOD LUCK!

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recomend the grizzly 700 with eps and you can add a nice box with a seat and handles for your wife. But if you want a 2 up quad I think can am makes a 2 person atv.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Don't double on a grizzly, they are too light in the front end for that. Get yourself a 2 up quad, much safer for doubling. I have a 550 grizzly and I even make the dog get off on steeper hills and she is only 70lbs.

LITTLE CRAZY

Reaction score
I hade two quads and sold them both and bought a rhino so i can take the wife sometimes and we both love it.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hEY maybe look at the suzuki king quad 500 it is well quoted in magazines

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We went with 2 ups because of the size of our family. Mines an 800 and the wife has a 500. Both are EFI and '07 polaris models. The wheelbase on these 2 ups makes for a very smooth and comfortable ride, but no cupholder :beer: If it was just the wife and I a side X side is the way to go. I'd stay with the big displacement motor just for the power. Wether adding bigger tires or filling your storage box with gear and supplies you will have the power to move the machine and all in it. On another note...stick with a brand name and not a knock off. A buddy of mine bought one and regrets it every ride and that's not from the "I told you so" he gets from me when I have to tow him home. Another thing is finding a dealer that will treat you right. There are ALOT of good people on here that will help you in your seach...So good luck and happy hunting :d

Last edited:

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with RMK, I think the polaris is one of the smoothest ride out there... but it is a personal preference. If you can try a few different ones out then that might help you decide.

Last edited:

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the Can am, but for what you want to use this quad for, I would recomend getting yourself a Polaris two-up. If you get the 800 or 850, you will have enough power for any type of riding, and they have a pretty smooth ride and comfortable seats. But as stated before...Make sure you ride any quad that you interested in before you buy. I have made the mistake of assuming, that just because it is new, it will be a good quad for me. Next thing you know, you're riding a rough, underpowered jalopy lol. :beer:

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and the Polaris' are probably the best bang for your buck.. In my opinion. :beer:

abiceman

Reaction score
I ride a 550 grizzly as well. I have been doing some research in to the 2 up world as well and I am leaning to the 650 canam good power but not enough to break things when you do get stuck in the mud.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Don't double on a grizzly, they are too light in the front end for that. Get yourself a 2 up quad, much safer for doubling. I have a 550 grizzly and I even make the dog get off on steeper hills and she is only 70lbs.

Does the dog wear a helmet??????

Isn't the can-am outlander a 2-up? the more I see them the more I'd prefer a SxS over a quad...

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I
would go with the two up model if planning on doubling and agree with the others the polaris two ups are very nice rides with enough power to haul everything. The smooth ride means a lot when your hauling the old lady around so she will enjoy it a lot more. Its easier going for a ride with her happy.

09 650 xt

Reaction score
Can-Am by far! Its better set up for 2 people n more power than enough even on a 650 . Not the tank without treads the polaris is and def. more comfortable on long rides No back pain !

grizzlydave

Reaction score
I am a true Yamaha guy, but i must say the Grizzly is way too lite to ride two up, and any machine other than the sportsman and the Outlander would probably be a little unstable riding with a passenger on a regular basis. The new Sportsman 850 have very good ratings, they are a little heavy but as you said you will be doing moderate mudding which the machine would tolerate well. and you will probably save yourself a couple thousand over buying a Outlander. Not to mention it's the Cadillac of atv.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind talking to the wife all day a side x side is a good option, the cup holders are nice too.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is that over priced can am with crappy warranty!

My overpriced can am is fine and the warrenty is great compared to my buddy that had to wait over ten days to get his winch covered on warenty on his 850 XP after only 5 weeks of owning the pos. He also has spent the same amount on his XP as I have on my can am and it still can't touch the power of mine.

Top Bottom