Need Advice on Utility Sled

EricW

Reaction score
Hey M&S Peeps:

Helping a friend who works for the Forest Service. They are looking to buy a snowmobile that will be used to pull trailers with gear and even a groomer used to make cross country ski routes. This could be slow hard pulls in fresh powder at times. They have budget to get about anything, but if they come in under budget they can use the remainder to buy oil, belts, accessories and stuff like that. If a less expensive sled will do just fine then they would buy extra gear, but getting the right sled is the priority.

Local dealers have quoted the following.

1. 09 Ski-Doo Skandic SUV 550F
2. 09 Yamaha RS Viking Professional
3. 09 Polaris Wide Trax LX

Any opinions on any of the above or maybe something other than these 3. The sled will be operated locally here in NE Washington at 3000-6000 ft elevation. Any experience/opinions on fan vs liquid cooled in this application.

Thought someone here might have some experience with the work horse type sleds. Thanks in advance. EW

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
either the skidoo or the yamaha will be fine, wont be enough in the budget to fix that polaris constantly. Im partial to the new skandics. that would be my first choice. yamaha 4 strokes are hard to beat for reliability

ice auger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whatever matti that polaris engine is rock solid.........we have two ion our fleet of utility sled and they have almost 10K on them..........gas, oil, skags, hyfax, and some idler wheel bearing.

EricW

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the input guys. Forwarded the info on. Thanks again. EW

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have rode all of the above
VK540 is a good sled
VK pro 4stroke is way to heavy
wide track polaris is good
I own a 570 bearcat xt handling it is a dream compared to the listed above
the new ski doos wide tracks look very intresting have to try one
my next sled will be 4 stroke bearcat xt and I hope the power incress compendsates for the weight incress

matm8snopro

Reaction score
I have rode all of the above
VK540 is a good sled
VK pro 4stroke is way to heavy
wide track polaris is good
I own a 570 bearcat xt handling it is a dream compared to the listed above
the new ski doos wide tracks look very intresting have to try one
my next sled will be 4 stroke bearcat xt and I hope the power incress compendsates for the weight incress

x2 on the bearcat, we use it to pull out the icefishing shack every year.

ElectroTech

Reaction score
#1 isn't anywhere near the sled as #2 or #3. #2 will be hard to beat, except that you could buy 2 #1s and it weighs way more than either.
#3 will be the best in off trail hilly terain.
#1 Will be the best in tight trees where manueverability is paramount.
#2 Will require a winch in single rider off trail situations.

Have experience with all 3, they are all very different sleds, Ski-Doo has more to offer than the 550, and I would think its just what the dealer wants to get rid of.
My uncle has miled out the chassis on a Venture TF(before VK came out)26000KM in 2 years, and he is on his second VK professional, combined 40000km roughly.
Has had suspension arms break and bearing pileups early on in lifecycle of all 3, one piled up bearing causing chaincase to pileup (200km from the truck and you gotta get out). Once the bearings are replaced with quality ones he doesnt have to touch them.
Honestly for the application you talk of the Polaris orthe Yamaha will prove superior, lean towards the yamaha in known terrain where getting dead ended isn't an issue, it takes sooooooo much room and effort to turn around, where the polaris has a hope of leaning over and spinning around.
Like I said,
Ski-Doos 600 WT is a direct contender as is Arctic-cats bearcats with their deeper lug tracks.

Top Bottom