My experience with the Tesla Model 3

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know I could buy a serious motor for the price of battery replacement in a Chevy Volt, let alone a Tesla!

Funny that the replacement battery is worth almost the exact same as the car itself would be brand new.

A remanufactured GM battery for that car actually goes for $9100.

But let's not let facts get in the way of EV bashing, so carry on.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This guy was not making any friends...
IMG_0022.jpeg

IMG_0023.jpeg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how in the hell did the driver get out of the car
No problem for the Tesla. With the remote key the car doesn’t need a driver to move. Johnny had his Tesla doing laps around us by it’s self in my farmyard a couple summers ago. Actually was very cool.

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tesla gets stuck full pin trying to park in China,2 killed.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had one for a rental this weekend for my kids hockey tourney in Vancouver. Hotel had a free charger in the parkade. But there where a million other teslas. Wasn’t ideal, we kinda had to keep checking to see if it was available. But it worked out good. We got plugged in twice over 5 days and 700 km ish, it was still pretty full when we returned it.

The acceleration and taking corners full pinned was pretty fun! It wouldn’t spin the tires but got it into a couple power slides. Felt like a high performance go-cart and hugged the ground leading in slow then hammering full pinned around a corner. We tried pretty hard but we don’t think we got it off the ground punching it off a bunch off road features, large speed humps, or cat track style cross roads.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No shortage of cameras there.

Probably happened after they were poking around in the software trying to reverse engineer it.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don
We had one for a rental this weekend for my kids hockey tourney in Vancouver. Hotel had a free charger in the parkade. But there where a million other teslas. Wasn’t ideal, we kinda had to keep checking to see if it was available. But it worked out good. We got plugged in twice over 5 days and 700 km ish, it was still pretty full when we returned it.

The acceleration and taking corners full pinned was pretty fun! It wouldn’t spin the tires but got it into a couple power slides. Felt like a high performance go-cart and hugged the ground leading in slow then hammering full pinned around a corner. We tried pretty hard but we don’t think we got it off the ground punching it off a bunch off road features, large speed humps, or cat track style cross roads.
did the rental company make you return it full of electricity and charge you if it wasn’t?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don

did the rental company make you return it full of electricity and charge you if it wasn’t?

Nope. They just asked for 30-40 % ish so the next guy could get it to a charger. They said they didn’t have one at the airport.

It was only at 70% when we got it. But that said 400 ish km range.

I will be considering getting one to keep the miles off the wife suburban and not firing that thing up for 5 trips to town a day driving the kids to and from school or their hockey. Save the Suburban for family road trips as their is not enough space for gear for a family of 5 in the Tesla.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope. They just asked for 30-40 % ish so the next guy could get it to a charger. They said they didn’t have one at the airport.

It was only at 70% when we got it. But that said 400 ish km range.

I will be considering getting one to keep the miles off the wife suburban and not firing that thing up for 5 trips to town a day driving the kids to and from school or their hockey. Save the Suburban for family road trips as their is not enough space for gear for a family of 5 in the Tesla.

What model did you rent? I’m guessing a 3 or Y?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What model did you rent? I’m guessing a 3 or Y?

It was a 3 I think. Extended range.

I’m assuming a lot of the features are accessed through a phone app.? We didn’t have it synced to an app so a few things were a bit inconvenient. We just had a card thing, no fob, so couldn’t pop the trunk or lock the doors with out walking around to the driver side and tapping that card.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The card sucks but it’s good to use for rentals because it’s only $15. Also they can set up a profile for the card so for rentals you could put it in chill mode (less acceleration) and have a maximum speed limit.

Using the phone as the key is really slick and I hate physical keys now. It’s also impossible to forget your phone because you need it to drive.

Model 3 is a little tight for hockey gear but I think a model Y would work fine for cargo space.

a1a1be4743b69d60b5cc5aa3ad06c083.jpg

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The card sucks but it’s good to use for rentals because it’s only $15. Also they can set up a profile for the card so for rentals you could put it in chill mode (less acceleration) and have a maximum speed limit.

Using the phone as the key is really slick and I hate physical keys now. It’s also impossible to forget your phone because you need it to drive.
Model 3 is a little tight for hockey gear but I think a model Y would work fine for cargo space.

a1a1be4743b69d60b5cc5aa3ad06c083.jpg

The 3 did the job. Fit 2 medium suitcases, hockey bag, and sticks In the trunk. But had to open the back seat for a second then close it to get the sticks in and out. It wouldn’t fit sticks much longer with all the seats up though.

The Y is probably better suited for us for sure!

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone else (work and other) is paying for 72% of the $1809 as well right? You're actually out of pocket just $506. No denying the economics of operating an eV versus gas.

Top Bottom