Muskoka Freerider

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol! Glacier on boulder! Pretty Smooth Jerry. Man I gotta hand it to that guy, to be able to hang with the young guys for dam near a month straight now is pretty impressive! We are likely close in age and I got about as much desire to ride every day as to get a second divorce!

Last edited:

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love watching these videos every day. But these boys are putting themselves at risk. They are pushing big terrain on an almost daily basis. Ride safe out there

I haven’t watched todays yet but I was thinking that in yesterdays video big time. Especially in that run out zone before they dropped onto the lake.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven’t watched todays yet but I was thinking that in yesterdays video big time. Especially in that run out zone before they dropped onto the lake.
Today was Eagles Pass. Steep also. Even on a good year.

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I love watching these videos every day. But these boys are putting themselves at risk. They are pushing big terrain on an almost daily basis. Ride safe out there
Totally with you on this. All the signs are there and some of the access they utilize doesn't have timber for a reason. I don't know this fellow but if someone can pass it along It may safe someone's life. Didn't they recently take an AST2 as well? Putting a lot of people at risk and especially their loved ones.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People don't seem to be using the tools given at that course. Still riding tight together, and above each other is bad practice 101. I took the same course, and JH definitely gives ya the tools, just need to apply them. I think most people think cause they are in the trees or not in big terrain, it isn't going to happen. I've seen more snow moving this year in the trees than I have in the open. Everything is sliding right to the dirt this year, and leaving big deposits. I don't think the bag will help when ya stop at the bottom and the snow piles 6 -10ft on top of you. I can also tell ya, that if there is only 1 or 2 people there to dig you out they better be in top shape even to get 2-3ft down as the snow is hard as rock when it stops.

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally with you on this. All the signs are there and some of the access they utilize doesn't have timber for a reason. I don't know this fellow but if someone can pass it along It may safe someone's life. Didn't they recently take an AST2 as well? Putting a lot of people at risk and especially their loved ones.
Most of us who have been playing in the mountains for a long time have lost friends (dug them out or been buried ourselves) or had close calls ourselves. I have been concerned watching Matt and his friends on a number of occasions, their several on a slope at one time is questionable and I sure hope they are paying a lot of attention to the snowpack where they are riding. Just because you have never seen a certain slope slide does not mean it won't. We lost a buddy in Montana the season before last when a slide occurred on a slope none of us has ever seen go in one of our favorite riding areas. Sometimes we let down our guard because its been awhile since the last big scare or worst case losing a buddy.
Ride smart guys.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of us who have been playing in the mountains for a long time have lost friends (dug them out or been buried ourselves) or had close calls ourselves. I have been concerned watching Matt and his friends on a number of occasions, their several on a slope at one time is questionable and I sure hope they are paying a lot of attention to the snowpack where they are riding. Just because you have never seen a certain slope slide does not mean it won't. We lost a buddy in Montana the season before last when a slide occurred on a slope none of us has ever seen go in one of our favorite riding areas. Sometimes we let down our guard because its been awhile since the last big scare or worst case losing a buddy.
Ride smart guys.
My good bud dug up and died 2009. I can still taste the CPR if I say his name

Last edited:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would u still watch the vids if he road flat meadows all day? Hes kinda on a double edged sword on the content side of things picking what he deems safe for the content he creates. I mean this is byfar one of the weirder years for snowfall and when that happens ususlly see guys doing some ch!t they shouldnt be going after but there big boys and can make there own choices not speaking of mat jusy what ive seen in general this year

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was just watching today's video and thought, man I really hope I don't see his name in an avalanche report one day.

The snow pack this year has a deep persistent slab that doesn't show the normal warning signs. I truly hope in the background they are testing and doing the right things to protect themselves. There's been a couple videos lately that made me think "that's a terrible spot to be sitting if something lets go".

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there is a misconception that’s really become prevalent the last couple years that tree riding is safe and it’s only high markers that get caught Although There is a certain amount of truth to this way of thinking on a year like this one,all bets are off! The consequences of a slide though the trees is typically catastrophic! Truthfully I only watch the Matt and Jerry show for the big terrain segments that they ride and enjoy trying to figure out where they’re at .Lots of times ifind myself fast scrolling through the endless “hood/ski and tree segments To get to lakes and ridges,peaks and cut blocks that give the locations away!
i find it hard to believe that with the amount of days he puts in that they haven’t had some really close calls yet, maybe they have but choose not to make it public! But they seem to ride with a naive enthusiasm of young guys that haven’t seen things go really shitty!

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got home from Revy. We came home a day early because I voted to. I recognized that I was riding sketchier and sketchier spots in an attempt to find untouched fresh. When there are tracks everywhere I want to ride, I end up pushing to spots that normally I would avoid, and it led to some risky situations.

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hood bud dug up and died 2009. I can still taste the CPR if I say his name
It takes a long time for the bad taste to go away and the joy to return when we return to the mountains and especially to the bad scene….sticks with us for a long time and probably forever. When you’ve been on the retrieval of a buddy, it hurts bad forever.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there is a misconception that’s really become prevalent the last couple years that tree riding is safe and it’s only high markers that get caught Although There is a certain amount of truth to this way of thinking on a year like this one,all bets are off! The consequences of a slide though the trees is typically catastrophic! Truthfully I only watch the Matt and Jerry show for the big terrain segments that they ride and enjoy trying to figure out where they’re at .Lots of times ifind myself fast scrolling through the endless “hood/ski and tree segments To get to lakes and ridges,peaks and cut blocks that give the locations away!
i find it hard to believe that with the amount of days he puts in that they haven’t had some really close calls yet, maybe they have but choose not to make it public! But they seem to ride with a naive enthusiasm of young guys that haven’t seen things go really shitty!
Couldn’t agree more!

Trees are dangerous, and some guys try to pass it off as they’re somehow “superior” in skill and knowledge as a mountain snowmobiler… this is blindly ignorant.

For the last year, I typically watch these videos in 3min or less. I don’t mind his comments as he’s probably a decent guy with realistic expectations, but the trees and GoPro are honestly really boring.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes a long time for the bad taste to go away and the joy to return when we return to the mountains and especially to the bad scene….sticks with us for a long time and probably forever. When you’ve been on the retrieval of a buddy, it hurts bad forever.
I talked with a few of the guys that helped out in retrieving the bodies of the 8 Sparwood guys and they all say they are changed guys. One guy that would be considered a excellent rider said he tied to sled after that but just couldn't. he now goes south for the winter.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of wives on here being worried when their husbands go riding. And we say, we’ll be careful don’t worry. This can be a dangerous sport and will bite you hard when ever it chooses to. I’ve had to dig friends out and I have a feeling muskoka will have to eventually also.

Top Bottom