Muskoka Freerider

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm around 4500km for the season, maybe a little more. Roughly half on the turbo, half n/a. Burned roughly 13gal or 50 liters of oil.
I buy the 5gal of xps. Paid $315 this year, $275 each (+tax) last year. Works out be 1.1L/100km or $18.50/100km as an average, which seems low compared to what I dump in each day.

Season ended so abruptly and un-dramatically. Sunday was sunshine, cold and over the hood. Tuesday was raining and dense cloud right to the top. Been crappy weather and a shitmix of rain and melt-freeze since. :(

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can burn 3/4 of a tank of oil in my turbo no problem in one day. I came down on oil and gas light a few times. That's equivalent to more than half a jug so 30+$ of oil on a deep sunny day and i get a good discount.
Same. Often if I burn all my gas/spare gas when I get to the truck I have a oil and fuel light on.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He said similar kms the polaris used 26 litres of oil compared to the doo used 60 lires, he did said the polaris used more fuel tho
But no exact number be interesting to
See once he figures the numbers out

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He said similar kms the polaris used 26 litres of oil compared to the doo used 60 lires, he did said the polaris used more fuel tho
But no exact number be interesting to
See once he figures the numbers out
It is sad how Doo claims they use less oil. I expect this might be true on the trail sleds as they rarely hold max RPMs. As far as fuel consumption goes, the more power, the more fuel. I expect next season most G5 guys will be trying to reinvent the best way to carry big Jerry cans. Like the good old days of the slobbery triples. I hope fuel prices come back down or sledders are going to be looking for ways to buy fuel like a drug adict is looking to pay for their next hit.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to bitch about the oil consumption but I haven’t blown any factory turbos up yet so I’ll hold off
The more oil you can put through the motor and retain plug life the better your odds of not having an engine failure, not a guarantee but better odds at least.
In the overall cost of sledding I'd be OK with burning a bit extra oil for more piece of mind.
I keep repeating this regularly in sled discussions as I will likely be on one of those oil burners next year..... lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The more oil you can put through the motor and retain plug life the better your odds of not having an engine failure, not a guarantee but better odds at least.
In the overall cost of sledding I'd be OK with burning a bit extra oil for more piece of mind.
I keep repeating this regularly in sled discussions as I will likely be on one of those oil burners next year..... lol
100% agree. Guys don't realize its way cheaper to buy a couple extra jugs than replace a top end. Extra lube in these motors is not doing them any harm.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well at $2 per litre of fuel and my buddy that rode Doo said it costs more for oil than fuel if you ride a Doo hard, you can expect:

40 litres/day on a turbo (we often see him carrying fuel). so 60ish days = 2400 litres or $4800 for fuel and equal or more for oil.

$10 grand operating costs for sleds alone.

My other buddy with a turbo Doo only uses about 25 litres/day for fuel and max. 1 litre of oil/day. And what is Doo oil going for now? $15-$20/litre?

The Boost Polaris probably uses similar fuel but not sure on the oil?
Don't forget to add on belts. Think I saw him change out at least 5 but he rides pretty aggressive and the belt heat alarm was constantly going on.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to add on belts. Think I saw him change out at least 5 but he rides pretty aggressive and the belt heat alarm was constantly going on.
I guess Doo might do away with that alarm for the G5's if they really trust their engineering with the fancy cooling system they have for the belt?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I ride a Ctec 800 cat and i barely use any oil. I wish it used more. Popped a lower rod bearing... Rode a turbo 850 for a couple days and i used more oil in two days on it then i did on my cat in almost two weeks. And used twice the fuel, its fun to hear the choooo chooo sound though lol been a while

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely something off with his doo oil consumption. Sounds about double what it should be. Either banner cranked the pump or perhaps Jerry #1 was sneaking into his liquor cabinet.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely something off with his doo oil consumption. Sounds about double what it should be. Either banner cranked the pump or perhaps Jerry #1 was sneaking into his liquor cabinet.
Ya. My dad definitely hasn’t bought oil in at least 10 years. Makes up for the first twenty years I used to burn his I figure.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It ain’t cheap that’s for sure. Similar numbers to what I spent following the NWSA racing circuit years ago for rooms, food, fuel, parts and entry fees

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was strange how he left out probably half of his expenses from that video. "If you like sledding you'll already have all the gear."

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was strange how he left out probably half of his expenses from that video. "If you like sledding you'll already have all the gear."

You’re not doing a season in Revy for much under $40k. Sled, food, rent, and fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom