"Mud-bogging on crown land in Alberta will become quite illegal in the near future"

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Re: "Mud-bogging on crown land in Alberta will become quite illegal in the near futur

You used the ENTIRE thesaurus?
" his narcissistic self-identification with all of the traumata of his repressed diathesis towards immoralism has made him prevent me from getting my work done"

That's my favorite part.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: "Mud-bogging on crown land in Alberta will become quite illegal in the near futur

How would pics of dirty trucks and quads prove what area they were in tearing up. unless someone has pics of them tearing it up I don't see how it would hold up. And even if you had them recorded talking about it, it would be hard to make stick

I dont know the exact details. She recognized the area they were talking about and gave a sworn statement, then they confessed? I dont know for sure. I think it was in the paper a couple of years back.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

OK lets get back on topic and not get to carried away please. This is a important issue. We all need to be prepared to get organized sometime down the line. Better start now.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sounds like sledding with all this shutting areas down.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Sounds like sledding with all this shutting areas down.

Ya sounds a bit like it. Time will tell what happens if we don't start changing our ways. We all like ripping up he mud and muskeg but we need to minimize our impact or it will have a pile of new rules and regulations to deal with. We are not the only eyes in the bush and some really look at what we are doing and squeak to the government. We all know the squeakers get what they want. We need to get squeaky BUT what do we want or need?

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the idea is to respect the land, treat it as if you own it, not like you want to rape it. your kids will have to ride where you have been!!!!! i'm thinking this is the gist of the original thread.
this is the best comment i've heard in a while

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: "Mud-bogging on crown land in Alberta will become quite illegal in the near fut

Not picking any sides, but dont people enjoy hitting those skeg pits as opposed to going around?

honestly not really... too much clean up... i hate getting stucks for no reason... i like technical rides... coming from BC quadding in N AB is way diff... ive seen trails that are 1 km long of straight skeg i swear and all i think if **** i shouldve bought a can am 1000 xmr or an argo

cementfist27

Reaction score
Re: "Mud-bogging on crown land in Alberta will become quite illegal in the near fut

It's a shame when it get to this...I like to test the limits of my machine when I can don't get me wrong, but don't want to sacrifice the beautiful trails of southwest Alberta to get my fix. I am surprised that there has not been more push to (publicly or privately for that matter), create off-road parks much like Highlifter Park in Louisiana. Give the people a place to rip to hell while preserving the natural areas that have made everyone so sensitive....

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Do what you like if its your property. Rip the Hell out of it for all I care. If its public land and subject to use by different user groups, don't tear it up or you might find that the envelope for tolerance was finally pushed to far and guide lines will become laws. Then everybody looses.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Talking to a conservation officer last weekend, she said it is illegal to "mud bog". You can cross the muskeg, but not back and forth.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Talking to a conservation officer last weekend, she said it is illegal to "mud bog". You can cross the muskeg, but not back and forth.

And that's the truth.

My 2 bits-
Two things in my opinion in the last 5 years have made the biggest impact which is bringing on the issues.
One is the SxS. They are heavy, make a bigger deeper foot print, and make the trails bigger. And there are more and more all the time. Lots of guys that used to ride quads are now in a machine twice as heavy with more tire. 10 years ago guys in Jeep's and such were on the same trails and catching huge **** for it because of the damage they were doing. It won't be long before these mini jeeps start getting the same attention and get booted out of areas.
Second thing is quad rally's. The size of some of these is getting ridiculous and the trails they decide to ride on gets absolutely destroyed. There are too many too close together in a year in some area's for the land to recover. Personally, I think you should require a permit to host a rally like you do for any other public gathering. I think this would help.
For those that disagree put it this way. Take your thumb and push hard on your bare skin on your leg and rub it up and down your leg a couple inches for a min. Bet it leaves a mark and hurts like hell. Now apply the same pressure and go all over both you legs for a min. Not nearly the same effect. I think what I am trying to explain by this is obvious. Spread out the land usage and the severity of the impact to each area is reduced.
All things considered, I don't think either of these points are necessarily bad if the riders keep to the trails. Limit the time and places crossing streams in certain times of the year and I see no reason to close any areas.

Last edited:

gasgaselite

Reaction score

idiot quadders yes, idiot dirtbikers yes. if they are going to ruin it for everyone including the people who are respectful of the environment then i believe that they should instead of just cutting riding areas build certain areas for numerous types of vehicles eg. mud boggers, quads, dirtbikes, sleds in the winter etc etc. not just take away our right to ride. but we all need to take part in taking care and treading lightly. and why cant we ride in sand dunes?? in a night all the tracks and ruts are blown over...

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And that's the truth.

My 2 bits-
Two things in my opinion in the last 5 years have made the biggest impact which is bringing on the issues.
One is the SxS. They are heavy, make a bigger deeper foot print, and make the trails bigger. And there are more and more all the time. Lots of guys that used to ride quads are now in a machine twice as heavy with more tire. 10 years ago guys in Jeep's and such were on the same trails and catching huge **** for it because of the damage they were doing. It won't be long before these mini jeeps start getting the same attention and get booted out of areas.
Second thing is quad rally's. The size of some of these is getting ridiculous and the trails they decide to ride on gets absolutely destroyed. There are too many too close together in a year in some area's for the land to recover. Personally, I think you should require a permit to host a rally like you do for any other public gathering. I think this would help.
For those that disagree put it this way. Take your thumb and push hard on your bare skin on your leg and rub it up and down your leg a couple inches for a min. Bet it leaves a mark and hurts like hell. Now apply the same pressure and go all over both you legs for a min. Not nearly the same effect. I think what I am trying to explain by this is obvious. Spread out the land usage and the severity of the impact to each area is reduced.
All things considered, I don't think either of these points are necessarily bad if the riders keep to the trails. Limit the time and places crossing streams in certain times of the year and I see no reason to close any areas.

I agree with the comment on quad rally's. they are no good for the sport. Way to many show up to one area. 4-500 bikes. Makes us an easy target

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I hope the quadders don`t get blamed for all the damage from the rain run off.....LMFAO. Mother nature kicks our azz ,as well as her own every now and then...........

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I hope the quadders don`t get blamed for all the damage from the rain run off.....LMFAO. Mother nature kicks our azz ,as well as her own every now and then...........

well if those razzrs didn't have such big tires?
icon10.gif

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Not to make light of a VERY serious situtation,but mother nature can do more damage in 24 hours than 21000 quads in 14 decades could ever do...............

Megrizzly

Reaction score

Not to make light of a VERY serious situtation,but mother nature can do more damage in 24 hours than 21000 quads in 14 decades could ever do...............

Although i do agree with you, i also disagree. A plow-wind or 4" of rain can render trails impassable. But so can a quad rally or even a group of 6 bikes when its wet can severely damage a trail. We can't control the actions of mother nature, but we can accommodate them. Properly shaping watercourses or not building homes in low lying areas come to mind. Both atvs and mother nature are responsible and contribute to the same problem.

I do like to play in the mud just as much as the next guy, but only in areas that don't affect accessibility for others. Quads and sxs have not only gotten more powerful and heavier, theres been a massive shift in the last 10 years from primarily utility use to sport use. Your more likely to see larger, upgraded tires than factory tires. From the first use of atv's till about 2000, trails in the bush weren't that bad. We all started out with straight axle quads with 25" tires. Then we see a guy with 26" tires not get stuck as much and we all go up in size. Independent suspension became popular and the holes got deeper. Bigger tires and increasing clearance are only contributing to the problem. They are a short term gain with a long term negative. Look at the progression in Ostacruiser videos. Lots of riders in these videos have gone to large lift kits to make it through holes that were passable without only a few years earlier.

If we all went back to tires under 26-28" tires, the trails would improve greatly. It would suck for the first few years until the forest took over and naturally fixed the trails, but it would be worth it in the long term. That would cause an uproar if certain sized tires became illegal.

A more rational outlook is to use common sense and respect so that the younger generations or even myself can use the land in 20 years.

1. During periods of excessive moisture or spring breakup, access to trails should be not allowed. Let the grass grow up so it holds the soil together rather than rip it to shreds.
2. Changing driving habits. 2wd and a heavy thumb are for the track, not the trail. Slippage is the enemy here, so avoid it by using 4wd when appropriate and responsible throttle control
3. Trail maintenance. Building bridges across sensitive areas such as streams or short mud holes. Also keeping willows cut back, overhanging branches out of the way. Lastly, cutting fallen trees and removing them completely from trails. The dicks who only cut 50" wide need a kick in the nuts. Also pick up any large branches when moving trees as these branches can puncture tires, cv boots, smack you, or break plastic.

*When i say trail, i am thinking of a trail in the bush composing of dry sections, but also creek crossings and mud holes. Not purely water and mud or purely dry trails.

I have seen what works at conserving trails and what doesn't. I have a cabin as well as 2 additional cabins back in the bush. Until 2009, we struggled to get in and increasing bike size or tire size was only a yearly gain. In 2009, we all bought a track type machine. The two other cabins went to argos and I put tracks on my bike. It was the best decision made. It has been wetter than normal for the past few years, but our trails have improved due to the track machines basically eliminating extra traffic. Not only is a tracked bike much more environmentally friendly in a sense that it doesn't leave ruts or tear up the soil, but we can get into the cabins quicker because were not getting stuck. We can also carry more weight and know mentally that we can get in whether its wet or dry without worries.

When it comes to decisions in life, I have found that this saying is evident in almost all of them.
Short term gain = long term loss
Long term gain = short term loss

Top Bottom