MSRP +/- on New Diesels

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer has come back at MSRP out the door. This includes tax, all fees, mud flaps, PDI etc. also including two oil changes and two tanks of diesel. It’s $1500 more then what I set as my walk away. GM also said MSRP’s for 2023 coming in 12-15% higher which is now the second manufacturer I’ve heard of saying this (other was Ford)

Pull the trigger?
can you afford it?

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer has come back at MSRP out the door. This includes tax, all fees, mud flaps, PDI etc. also including two oil changes and two tanks of diesel. It’s $1500 more then what I set as my walk away. GM also said MSRP’s for 2023 coming in 12-15% higher which is now the second manufacturer I’ve heard of saying this (other was Ford)

Pull the trigger?

That sounds reasonable, they are including items rather than discounting. Either way you have you have to pay for them, from your original post to this one the deal has changed.

Is it fair to assume your $1500.00 walk away did not include fees, flaps, oil changes & fuel?

Paying for the truck rather than financing is a major factor than many don't understand or consider. The dealership understands it & prefers you finance. They are getting either a percentage or fixed amount from the finance agreement, most important is the buyer is looking @ a monthly payment rather than the hole in your bank account. Easier to negotiate a $10.00 monthly payment.

Myself I always look @ the bottom line. That includes financing which includes those fees & buyouts. In the pre plandemic low interest & zero interest deals sometimes worked for me. Some look @ the price only & do not consider cost of borrowing. I'm a ten year truck owner as I don't drive a lot, it's a new game every time Ha!

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable, they are including items rather than discounting. Either way you have you have to pay for them, from your original post to this one the deal has changed.

Is it fair to assume your $1500.00 walk away did not include fees, flaps, oil changes & fuel?

Paying for the truck rather than financing is a major factor than many don't understand or consider. The dealership understands it & prefers you finance. They are getting either a percentage or fixed amount from the finance agreement, most important is the buyer is looking @ a monthly payment rather than the hole in your bank account. Easier to negotiate a $10.00 monthly payment.

Myself I always look @ the bottom line. That includes financing which includes those fees & buyouts. In the pre plandemic low interest & zero interest deals sometimes worked for me. Some look @ the price only & do not consider cost of borrowing. I'm a ten year truck owner as I don't drive a lot, it's a new game every time Ha!
In my offer it was out the door so included all those items and I accounted for it.

I offered to finance through them for at least 3 months so they get their kickback. They tried to tell me it made no difference but that’s nonsense.

I’ve decided to hold my ground with them. Betting I get a call to come sign on Dec 31st…. And if I’m wrong, at least I have a good idea what I can negotiate on the next one!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've been pretty cagey on not saying what the price is so I don't know if we're talking $1500 on a $65k bill or $100k bill. As a percentage of the transaction that's a big difference.

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've been pretty cagey on not saying what the price is so I don't know if we're talking $1500 on a $65k bill or $100k bill. As a percentage of the transaction that's a big difference.
Not trying to be cagey. Just wanted to keep the discussion simple as a % of MSRP to see how my calculations compared to everyone else.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My boss and I both got new company trucks recently...

His: 2022 Ram Limited 3500 4x4 crew cab short box HO cummins, every option, 106k OTD, paid sticker and no financing. He ended up having to go to Northern BC to find it as no local dealer had any stock or wanted to do a cash deal, it worked out in the end because he visited some clients on his drive back.
Mine: 2022 Chev crew cab short box 4x4 3500 Z71 LTZ 4x4, fairly loaded, it was a custom order truck that the customer backed out on. Bought locally, paid MSRP of 90K, cash deal, salesguy was great to work with and not a slick haired slimeball.

After searching for various trucks at various dealers, I will say this: if and when the truck market and supply chains stabilize and return to normalcy or everything implodes, these dealers will get ZERO sympathy from me when they can't make insane margins like they are now. The attitudes of "this is just the way it is" and "if you don't pay it, someone else will" that a lot of these dealers are running right now is mind blowing. I've seen 15-20k markup over MSRP on some diesel trucks, its insane.

I called on a gently used 2020 F350 6.7 Tremor at one dealer, looked great, low kms, but they wouldn't budge on their price one bit. The salesguy thought I was nuts to offer him a lot less. I told him that the truck didn't cost 96K new and whoever bought it initially in 2019 paid no where near that. Found my current chev the next day and when he called back later in the week to let me know the F350 sold, he asked if I wanted to order a new one through him... Told him politely that I bought a new truck for less money and I wasn't going to order a truck from him any time soon. There's still deals to be found out there and salesguys that are reasonable, they're just harder and harder to come by

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just got a 2022 ram 3500 limited. Ordered it in July and it came in late November. I was expecting 9months to a year from ordering. No deals, paid full sticker. Nice looking truck though.

IMG_3280.jpeg

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friends trying to trade in his 2019 denali on a 2022 highcountry
said theyd give him 70k if he pays 92k for the new one. Western gmc in edm

Hard to imagine in 2007 I paid 60,000 for a new duramax with cloth
2012 I paid 64,000 for my megacab longhorn

never again new diesel

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MSRP out the door is probably as good as it gets for an on the lot truck. You could have a better deal if you order. The 22 Laramie I ordered (and subsequently walked away from due to changing circumstances) was @ MSRP -12%. I picked up a 2011 Longhorn for 1/3 the price instead, and am just as happy with that extra 65k in my accounts.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just got a 2022 ram 3500 limited. Ordered it in July and it came in late November. I was expecting 9months to a year from ordering. No deals, paid full sticker. Nice looking truck though.

View attachment 263846
Can’t believe they still put those garbage tires on them! Those Fawker spin out on wet grass on flat ground.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems all the manufacturers are retooling there production facilities lately. Getting rid of any ice vehicle is a high priority for the great reset and getting big kick backs from our governments for doing so. Meanwhile laying off a ton of employees. There all on the verge of bankruptcy. We still don't have a new jeep, ordered it 7 months ago. Seems like the dealer wants us to back out, they can sell it for more now

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems all the manufacturers are retooling there production facilities lately. Getting rid of any ice vehicle is a high priority for the great reset and getting big kick backs from our governments for doing so. Meanwhile laying off a ton of employees. There all on the verge of bankruptcy. We still don't have a new jeep, ordered it 7 months ago. Seems like the dealer wants us to back out, they can sell it for more now

the sooner the better
the automaker unions are a joke
60 an hour to literally install seat belts

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2022 Ram 3500 Limited diesel with the HO engine and Aisin transmission, factory ordered in June, took delivery mid November. Was 15% below MSRP, and got amazing price for my 2016 3500 diesel...
Factory orders are the way to go...

Top Bottom