"Mousetrapped" Lets Talk About It

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I specifically asked my life insurance provider about this when I signed up years ago, she said as long as I am not riding out of bounds and in designated riding area then I am covered. I might have to ask again and get an update to make sure nothing has changed.
I got a new policy last fall and was asked if I snowmobile in back country, and if so do I have training. Yes to both and they said no issues.

Reactions: RXN

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I specifically asked my life insurance provider about this when I signed up years ago, she said as long as I am not riding out of bounds and in designated riding area then I am covered. I might have to ask again and get an update to make sure nothing has changed.

That's what I thought with mine too, then I changed advisors, new advisor looked up "out of bounds" and their definition is everything off the groomed or maintained trail.

Their new definition is backcountry riding, which includes everything off trail.

It really seems to vary by insurance company. Most of the guys I ride with have no issues, I do.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are our own worst enemy. AC builds a new sled puts in a 600 and everyone bashes it for being underpowered while no one has even seen the final product never mind ridden it yet. We are a strange bunch us sledders.

Good point AC new 600 could be a very fun sled, I went through the 80’s era when tracks were 1/2” lug and
plastic paddles changed the game.The 2” tracks were really awesome when they came out.Riding a slightly lower HP sled is not always a bad thing,I know first hand as I rode Mod Fancooled Sleds for over 20 yrs in the mountains.I was very fortunate to ride with the small core group of guys in that era,the Kusters,Ristoff and Craig plus a few others.A couple of those Fancooled layed tracks on Mountains in Robson Valley that most have never heard of ,those were the good times🤓

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is out of bounds and what is a designated riding area exactly. Backcountry is backcountry even if you pay a day use to use the trail. That makes no sense.
Clemina has a designated area for their riding terain. Allan Creek, Chappell, Salmon,... all have boundaries. Stay in those and don't venture past and you are covered.

I will double check and get back as to exactly what they classify it as.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clemina has a designated area for their riding terain. Allan Creek, Chappell, Salmon,... all have boundaries. Stay in those and don't venture past and you are covered.

I will double check and get back as to exactly what they classify it as.
The last policy I got stated if snowmobiling in Avalanche Terrain in or out of boundaries the premium was higher,which I took.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point AC new 600 could be a very fun sled, I went through the 80’s era when tracks were 1/2” lug and
plastic paddles changed the game.The 2” tracks were really awesome when they came out.Riding a slightly lower HP sled is not always a bad thing,I know first hand as I rode Mod Fancooled Sleds for over 20 yrs in the mountains.I was very fortunate to ride with the small core group of guys in that era,the Kusters,Ristoff and Craig plus a few others.A couple of those Fancooled layed tracks on Mountains in Robson Valley that most have never heard of ,those were the good times🤓
Were you the guy with the virtually hand built fan cooled sleds Like 20 years ago? Would always see it in the back of a truck in front of the great escape in the morning but never on the hill, always wondered where you disappeared to

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were you the guy with the virtually hand built fan cooled sleds Like 20 years ago? Would always see it in the back of a truck in front of the great escape in the morning but never on the hill, always wondered where you disappeared to
Possibly we ate at the great escape a lot,depending what hill you were riding.That would put me in the Hayday of our exploring era.Unless you were attempting to Chew Up a abscure drainage in the valley or exploring down ether side of the lake chances are you wouldn’t see me in the common areas.I rode two different Indy Lites first one 1993 to 2001 and second one was hand built from scratch 2002 to 2007.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Possibly we ate at the great escape a lot,depending what hill you were riding.That would put me in the Hayday of our exploring era.Unless you were attempting to Chew Up a abscure drainage in the valley or exploring down ether side of the lake chances are you wouldn’t see me in the common areas.I rode two different Indy Lites first one 1993 to 2001 and second one was hand built from scratch 2002 to 2007.
I remember looking at that sled a couple times, we spent some time along the lake, Howard, David Henry, yellow jacket, the standard stuff

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember looking at that sled a couple times, we spent some time along the lake, Howard, David Henry, yellow jacket, the standard stuff
That Sled was on top of many mountains that were claimed undoable,the rule of the group was the first day riding was to attempt those when everyone was fresh and full of energy.As Jim Kuster always said your track has no grip when your constantly wheeling on the back idlers,ski lift is needed but track needs to be in the snow.Times have changed a lot with the new sleds today,NA’s will get most riders where they want to be on most mountains.As the topic of this post is “mousetrapping” hope everyone rides safe and don’t be shy on backing off the throttle a few Seconds earlier to ride another day🤓

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a sledding community I feel its the right time to talk about this amongst ourselves. I've had 2 incidents where I had to use my radio for group rescue. I don't want to have a third. For those that don't know its when a sled usually "over-transfers" and basically loops out. Often the sled will land on top of you and pins a person. Even worse when it comes back over and pile drives you into your own trench. I can tell you when you are pinned and usually an extremity or two is compromised its is near impossible to move that sled on top of you. Combined with panic, snow ingestion, and fear, it really freaks a guy out quick. I'm sure there are many stories of near misses and humor, but there are also some of sorrow. And that is sad.
Best precaution is keeping "eyes on your guys", Radio chatter every minute or so, buddy system.

Please post your thoughts and lets keep this going.
Safe sledding
RS
havent read any of the other replies, but i am confused by this. this is a regular move the manufacturers are designing sleds to do. The real problem is begginners being able to buy sleds they cant control, even just NA's but especially turbos. Everyone should start on a 600 until they learn how to ride like we all did when mountain sleds were being developed in early 00's. Those who cant control should stay on low angle slopes

Reactions: RGM

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
havent read any of the other replies, but i am confused by this. this is a regular move the manufacturers are designing sleds to do. The real problem is begginners being able to buy sleds they cant control, even just NA's but especially turbos. Everyone should start on a 600 until they learn how to ride like we all did when mountain sleds were being developed in early 00's. Those who cant control should stay on low angle slopes
I rode with 3 young guys around 2006 that decided to buy 600’s a doo,cat&polaris just for kicks,all very good experienced riders.The difference between those 600,s & 800,s was marginal,those boys could ride.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will go out on a limb here & assume you do not know of Ken Block & what happened to him. Possible inexperienced however you measure that, a skill set @ a level beyond many of us.....he paid a deadly price.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wasn't an issue before the tunnels starting getting cut.. My 17' turbo would tail stand, it was pretty hard to flip over backwards, unlike the current machines.. Happens really fast and sometimes with a lot of force.

Pedaling pete

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall any G5 turbo’s in 2006,was just saying how downplayed the slightly less powered sleds are.

Im sure there is some still some 2006 600's kicking around. And I doubt you'd have to worry too much about them flipping over backwards and mouse trapping novice's

Wasn't sure WTF you were trying to say. Still not sure

Last edited:
Top Bottom