"Mousetrapped" Lets Talk About It

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode my sons new matytrix Kahos 155. It’s so fast I didn’t feel comfortable on it. I’m 50 and I just can’t react that fast anymore. I rode it around at half throttle most the time. !😂 I’m good with a new 600 it’s all the power I need. I watch Muskoka them guys go so fast through the trees I’m surprised they don’t crash more than they do. He’s had a couple the last few videos lol. Stay safe out there. Snowpack is terrible and new snow on the way makes it scary.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happens on bike too. I was doing a little climb on a pretty small hill to go help buddy's that were in a precarious situation, and I hit a little lump of hard snow. Tipped me over slow-mo downhill. My leg got trapped under my skid, on my back, head downhill. Everytime I moved, both the bike and I just slid together. I had to get another rider to come and help me.
Luckily the snow sucked and there wasnt a lick of powder to be found/suffocated in.
Not a comfortable situation to be in nonetheless.

I have now practiced my dismount technique. Lol

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RXN

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100%. A Trick I picked up from one of the best (Carl kuster) you can make that skid climb a wall and then have the flexibility to flip it over backwards if need be. A “climbing skid” is very one dimensional whereas the current skid can be manipulated to any circumstance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
100% agree, picked up the same trick from the same teacher.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wild that one of the comments is "when the snowmobile suddenly upended"... too soon...

solarguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another sled attacking 😬 Broken helmet, a few bumps n bruises.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a sledding community I feel its the right time to talk about this amongst ourselves. I've had 2 incidents where I had to use my radio for group rescue. I don't want to have a third. For those that don't know its when a sled usually "over-transfers" and basically loops out. Often the sled will land on top of you and pins a person. Even worse when it comes back over and pile drives you into your own trench. I can tell you when you are pinned and usually an extremity or two is compromised its is near impossible to move that sled on top of you. Combined with panic, snow ingestion, and fear, it really freaks a guy out quick. I'm sure there are many stories of near misses and humor, but there are also some of sorrow. And that is sad.
Best precaution is keeping "eyes on your guys", Radio chatter every minute or so, buddy system.

Please post your thoughts and lets keep this going.
Safe sledding
RS
Thanks Randy for starting a great thread! I had an extremely close call in 2021 Turbo Freeride getting mousetrapped going up to help my son, Ty, get unstuck. Been riding Turbos for years but it got more steep than planned VERY quickly! Next thing I was flat on my back with handlebars of sled pinning me down in my trench. The
More I struggled to get out, the more the snow buried me. Fortunately my son was right there to literally save my life! Now we try to pair up and just leap frog ride to keep eyes on. Radios help but no guarantee they work, you can get to your radio, or your spread out buddies can get to you in time. Rest of my group tried valiantly but couldn’t… To the A$$hats who will say a better rider would have just jumped to the side, I fully agree! BUT better riders also ride more challenging terrain and we all know things don’t always go as planned. Here’s the GoPro video that still chills me to watch it. Thanks again Ty for saving me!

Attachments

• IMG_1133.MOV
    162.4 MB

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Randy for starting a great thread! I had an extremely close call in 2021 Turbo Freeride getting mousetrapped going up to help my son, Ty, get unstuck. Been riding Turbos for years but it got more steep than planned VERY quickly! Next thing I was flat on my back with handlebars of sled pinning me down in my trench. The
More I struggled to get out, the more the snow buried me. Fortunately my son was right there to literally save my life! Now we try to pair up and just leap frog ride to keep eyes on. Radios help but no guarantee they work, you can get to your radio, or your spread out buddies can get to you in time. Rest of my group tried valiantly but couldn’t… To the A$$hats who will say a better rider would have just jumped to the side, I fully agree! BUT better riders also ride more challenging terrain and we all know things don’t always go as planned. Here’s the GoPro video that still chills me to watch it. Thanks again Ty for saving me!
very scary glad your son was so close

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scary stuff!! I know that feeling and 10-15minutes when I was trapped with face down under the sled haunts me and I sometimes wake up at night with that weird feeling!!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't ever get into a mouse trap situation but last season I got into a situation that could of turned real ugly. My buddy and I were out on a hood deep snowing hard day and going up a ravine that I have been up lots. He was in the lead breaking trail and I was next. i started with good speed but within a few seconds something went really wrong really fast. I felt myself going over the handlebar head first into a tree well. I held on to the bars for along as I could and ended up feet first and when I stop the top of my helmut was at the same level and my running board. I could barely move at all and when I did more snow fell onto me. I knew I pulled something in my shoulder. I felt a rush panic and couldn't reach me radio. After what felt like a long time but it wasn't my buddy came back and found me and with his help was able to get the machine off me enough so he could pull me up enough to get out. I never did feel the bottom with my boots..

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a sledding community I feel its the right time to talk about this amongst ourselves. I've had 2 incidents where I had to use my radio for group rescue. I don't want to have a third. For those that don't know its when a sled usually "over-transfers" and basically loops out. Often the sled will land on top of you and pins a person. Even worse when it comes back over and pile drives you into your own trench. I can tell you when you are pinned and usually an extremity or two is compromised its is near impossible to move that sled on top of you. Combined with panic, snow ingestion, and fear, it really freaks a guy out quick. I'm sure there are many stories of near misses and humor, but there are also some of sorrow. And that is sad.
Best precaution is keeping "eyes on your guys", Radio chatter every minute or so, buddy system.

Please post your thoughts and lets keep this going.
Safe sledding
RS
2006 BIS, you were there I'm sure.
My frankensled hill climber looped out at the top of Turbo. The corniche had not been shoveled out yet and as stupid is stupid does I hit it with its 260+hp triple Genesis.
Looped out and she pile drove me so hard I passed out. The sled ghost rode its way down the turn pipe and went off the rocks near the base where it flipped to full destruction, stopping just before the spectators hanging out in the bowl.
Twisted tunnel, engine partially hanging out.
It was so much fun it ended my riding season, nearly a week in the hospital and 3 month off full time work doing rehab.
There is a video floating around, It may had been Steve Dalton that filmed it but not sure. I have only seen it once.
The damage is permanent and I have never rode the same since though my brain thinks it can LOL. I try.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't ever get into a mouse trap situation but last season I got into a situation that could of turned real ugly. My buddy and I were out on a hood deep snowing hard day and going up a ravine that I have been up lots. He was in the lead breaking trail and I was next. i started with good speed but within a few seconds something went really wrong really fast. I felt myself going over the handlebar head first into a tree well. I held on to the bars for along as I could and ended up feet first and when I stop the top of my helmut was at the same level and my running board. I could barely move at all and when I did more snow fell onto me. I knew I pulled something in my shoulder. I felt a rush panic and couldn't reach me radio. After what felt like a long time but it wasn't my buddy came back and found me and with his help was able to get the machine off me enough so he could pull me up enough to get out. I never did feel the bottom with my boots..

probably on top on a buried tree

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeezuz Jim. Glad your son was there to help. Looked pretty scary!

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before the horsepower wars end, is 200hp the line, I'm not sure, but the same thing happened with streetbikes in 2000, where OEM's agreed to a 300km/h speed limit for safety.

Snowmobiling is becoming widely known in the insurance world as a dangerous sport. I highly suggest everyone make themselves aware of the exclusions on their life and disability insurance policies, especially those with families that depend on their income. My life insurance provider will no longer payout on a new policy if death occurs while "back country" snowmobiling, which they define as any riding off a groomed and maintained trail, which covers 95% of most peoples riding. Highmark/avalanche exclusions used to be about it for sledders, but more widespread exclusions are become more common. My old policies don't have any exclusions, but I'll have to find a new provider if/when I want more coverage.

I specifically asked my life insurance provider about this when I signed up years ago, she said as long as I am not riding out of bounds and in designated riding area then I am covered. I might have to ask again and get an update to make sure nothing has changed.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I specifically asked my life insurance provider about this when I signed up years ago, she said as long as I am not riding out of bounds and in designated riding area then I am covered. I might have to ask again and get an update to make sure nothing has changed.
What is out of bounds and what is a designated riding area exactly. Backcountry is backcountry even if you pay a day use to use the trail. That makes no sense.

Top Bottom