Most are paying above sticker price for new vehicles

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any predictions from those in the know? We would like to upgrade our SUV. Seems like the worst possible time to do it though. Starting to wonder if a guy wouldn't be smart to order one the way things are going. Used market is just insane
Not for awhile, supply will take at least 12-18 months to be reasonable. higher interest rates which are starting to show up on vehicles should help soften demand a bit, but not much as most people only pay attention to the payment number anyway. Bought a 21 Ram dually limited night edition in August. Could easily make 15-20k on it now

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it will take 12-18 months I wouldn't be surprised by the fall sept-oct if prices are on the decline, the second they are able to get production back they are going to push incentives huge and used prices are going to drop off a cliff. For anyone who has bought in the last 18 months and still holding one of them they are going to be upside down something fierce on it. That new $100k truck that should have only cost $85k is going to be worth $70k now with very little mileage on it, maybe less. If you are buying a new vehicle right now, I would expect to be keeping it for a long time or I would figure something else out, or you're going to loose an insane amount on it.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went looking for a new suv
Lots are empty.
Probably end up ordering one.
4 months would not be too bad to get one.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought it was illegal to sell for over MSRP in Canada? I’ve ordered a new specialty vehicle, it was at MSRP.

The USA, different story, they can change whatever they want. Some cars are $100k over sticker or more, in the exotic realm.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all-out supply and demand. Supply is in critical shortage and demand is higher due to the cycle were in. I say the cycle because most people don't hang on to a vehicle longer than the warranty period. That's the I need the latest and greatest scenario. The supply of parts is what is driving everything with electronics. Just look at the electronics for the gauges issues with sleds.
Now in a couple of years when the supply gets back to normal(what ever that is) this is where you will see people coming out of the loans in a negative equity scenario and then the problems start and here's why. The prices will have jumped multiple times because they never go down. By then intrest rates will be higher by at least 2 to 4 %. Then the customers won't be able to buy untill they pay down the loans and surprise we will have a lot of dealerships with vehicle's they can't move again. There wi be repos and bad debt and the disposable income that we now think is normal will be gone or at least a lot less for the people that can't manage their money wisely. I have been in the auto industry my whole life and now work in powersports industry for BRP.
Just my 2 cents

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think most dealers are doing pretty good right now even without having inventory . They are selling the same amount or more new vehicles on factory orders and not having to pay interest on the floor plans and the profits are higher on new sales .

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully you get your toyota that fast, I’m now 7 months wait on “you‘ll see your tundra in 4 months”
I guess I’ll see..according to the dealership the stuff still built in Japan is at the 3-4 month wait times and the stuff made stateside is a crapshoot depending on what it is and how popular the model. I’m in no real hurry to get it, just wanted to lock one down before the prices start going crazy from the spike in inflation

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think most dealers are doing pretty good right now even without having inventory . They are selling the same amount or more new vehicles on factory orders and not having to pay interest on the floor plans and the profits are higher on new sales .

Agreed, I also noticed some have cut their hours quite a bit too. Also bet they need less sales people as people just have to take what they got. Although Dodge dealer I was last at they had a fair amount of suv's, jeeps, and 1500. Only thing that really seemed lacking was 2500/3500s.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just bought a new suv Mazda Cx 5 was looking at used 2021 models and a used 21 with low kms was like $300 less than new had to order it but dealers would hardly haggle on used I have not got the vehicle yet but works for me don’t need it till next month and they tell me it will be here mid next month. As for weather the prices will come down who knows I guess depends what happens in the world some say China might take a run at Taiwan and that is where most of the chips come from so I guess we’ll see

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like dodge, so works out good for me.
Havent had any problem buying gmc's though. 👍

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plenty of demand for Dodge's, just sold my 5500 and had tons of interest on my 1500 both of which will turn a pretty nice profit on after buying them in early 2020.

For whatever reason fleets don't buy dodges nearly as much as ford and gmc, could be because they refuse to give them away like the others will?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to two ford shops in my area about buying my truck. They said with the kms (244) they couldn’t buy it but they’d take it on trade.

I thought that was kinda weird but anyway, I decided to entertain a new rig for a split moment, I mentioned to both salesmen I have xplan. They both pretty much said discounts like that are not really a thing right now. Perhaps in a few years it’ll come back.

Side note anyone know of any brokers that buy deleted trucks?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had a bronco pop up on FB with Brentridge… $76,000, went to their web site sticker is $59,400.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plenty of demand for Dodge's, just sold my 5500 and had tons of interest on my 1500 both of which will turn a pretty nice profit on after buying them in early 2020.

For whatever reason fleets don't buy dodges nearly as much as ford and gmc, could be because they refuse to give them away like the others will?
Uh no fleets don't buy Dodge's cause they don't work on the program for shipping south in 6 mnths . Serial number starts with 3 made in Mexico so they have to pay more tax to ship them

Top Bottom