Montana Mountain riding

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could someone point me in a good direction for a a mountain riding trip in Montana please. A ton of tourist info, hard to make out whats a trail area and what trials lead to the hill/alpine.

Last edited:

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are staying in Yellowstone we rode a place called Big sky takes you into the alpine. If you stop at the tourist info centre they will give you a map on this riding area.

Could someone point me in a good direction for a a mountain riding trip in Montana please. A ton of tourist info, hard to make out whats a trail area and what lead to the hill/alpine

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What part of montana

It doesn't matter. From rocky it looks like 11 hours to big sky, 7 to Kalispell. Whatever, it's a holiday and a new area. But I'd like to get to alpine, not 40miles of trail on a 3" track

Big Diesel

Reaction score
Kalispel or whitefish snow hasn't been great yet, it's a low snow for that mountain range, condition are about the same a fernie, the Corbin road is the same valley that runs to Columbia falls, imo the snow sucks but that's my opinion

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It doesn't matter. From rocky it looks like 11 hours to big sky, 7 to Kalispell. Whatever, it's a holiday and a new area. But I'd like to get to alpine, not 40miles of trail on a 3" track
I'm looking at the Kalispell/West Glacier/Columbia Falls area for the same reason(s) as we are only 2-3 hours away instead of 4-6 for Golden/Revy. Heard good things so far but it is hard to really find out the info. I'm also looking at the snow conditions and it is pretty much the same as the Fernie area and a little skinny right now.

Cooke City/Bozeman/Billings are a little further than we want to travel. For a long distance trip we will go to Whistler/Pemberton as we have family out there.

Here is a link(s) to Whitefish. The backside can be accessed via Columbia Falls.

Snow Report – Ski Whitefish

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you're not into trails, head to Cooke City. You're dropping into the main bowls within 4 miles of town and in between there's some great tree riding that everyone seems to fly right by. Pretty cool to be able to head back to town for lunch, gas up and be back riding in 10 mins.
Seeley Lake is closer to you, but has a bit more trail to get to the alpine. Snow has been consistently decent there the last number of years when other places haven't.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really much alpine in the North Fork area around Whitefish/Columbia Falls as it is basically all forested to the top. Lots of old logging roads back in there that lead to some good tree riding areas but you're looking at quite a bit of groomed trail riding to get to them. Scratchers are a must. All sorts of information on Area Trails & Info - Flathead Snowmobile Association .
Groomer activity is shown on Spot Groomer Tracking link. SPOT Shared Page
Backbone trail system runs from Olney to Canyon Creek so area can be accessed from either end. Also a very small staging area at upper end of Whitefish lake but it is pretty tiny so not really suitable for big enclosed trailers.
As stated snow is down quite a bit from normal levels.

Top Bottom