Missing Renshaw group.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Just realized this is being discussed in the conditions thread. Hope everything turns out ok.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Spoke with Barry and Rod, S&R. They are out looking on there sleds as it is too socked in for the chopper. Valemount crew came in to look as well. A member seen them going down the drop of doom and it got really socked in. I've been in that area when suddenly you cant see and it can be tough to get out. Hopefully they just hunkered down for the evening. I presume there is no communication devise amongst the group. They have the best looking for them and were spotted once yesterday so give it time and they will locate them and hopefully the outcome is good.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spoke with Barry and Rod, S&R. They are out looking on there sleds as it is too socked in for the chopper. Valemount crew came in to look as well. A member seen them going down the drop of doom and it got really socked in. I've been in that area when suddenly you cant see and it can be tough to get out. Hopefully they just hunkered down for the evening. I presume there is no communication devise amongst the group. They have the best looking for them and were spotted once yesterday so give it time and they will locate them and hopefully the outcome is good.
More people need the Garmin RINO - I know they are expensive and the screen breaks and they aren't waterproof - they are a very effective tool against campouts though - not sayin just sayin

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More people need the Garmin RINO - I know they are expensive and the screen breaks and they aren't waterproof - they are a very effective tool against campouts though - not sayin just sayin

Inreach
Spot
Zoleo
Sat phone
Any of those.
Plus a good raido.
Use the inreach or commication device to get the word out.
Then if help is being sent you can rely your radio frequency.

Who knows maybe they have stuff like this and for whatever reason it didn't work. Wont know until they are found

Reactions: RGM

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Rino saved my bacon in the fog multiple times - I guess anything that shows your tracks is all I'm saying - maybe that never lost app I dunno - I rely on my Rino - baeofang and the spot gen4 - pretty well got er all covered with that setup - datz all

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ummm, what?

Yes they are waterproof and any screen can break. 8 total in our group and no broken screens and if you add frogskin on the speaker portion to stop water from freezing in the holes and preventing sound getting through, they are waterproof.

But yes, they are awesome.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ummm, what?

Yes they are waterproof and any screen can break. 8 total in our group and no broken screens and if you add frogskin on the speaker portion to stop water from freezing in the holes and preventing sound getting through, they are waterproof.

But yes, they are awesome.
Well they are and they aren't I guess lol - when you Garmin is plugged in - in the glove box and your sled is upside down in 2ft of water at Chappell - it tends to not make the Garmin not feel too good

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
glad to hear - anything that you can follow your tracks back out - I'm not saying that's what happened to this group

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quoted from a post on FB .

My wife says I have some explaining to do..lol..

When we went out on Tuesday morning we played in the bowl by the cabin up at Renshaw. It started to clear off at noon so we dropped over the pass and went over the "drop of doom" and played there until 2:00 pm in UNBELIEVEABLE snow, and then decided to start back so we didn't get ourselves into trouble. As soon as we got to the top of the pass we ran into a HEAVY snowstorm and clouds..Visibility was about zero.

I do not like driving in that stuff and we were losing our bearings so we followed a treeline down to the valley and decided to start making camp around 4:00 pm hoping it would still clear off yet so we could leave. We dug a 6 foot hole in a bunch of trees and cut some trees to cover the top and some dead trees to keep the fire going all night. It was relatively warm except we got a little wet lol. We rationed some jujubes among ourselves. I think we each got 4 for supper haha.

When we poked out our heads in the morning there was 2 - 3 feet of fresh snow, and still no visibility. We waited until 10:30 and decided to try and poke our way up. We got stuck A LOT as we still couldn't see anything.

We kind of knew where the pass was but it was still hard to see and there were huge cornice's and didn't want to run into those bad boys. Around 1:00 the sun started to poke through, so we kept working our way out. Suddenly we thought we saw 3 snowmobiles up on the ridge headed to the pass. Then BOOM the sun shone bright for about 1/2 an hour and we could SEE. It was funny, because when we got to the ridge there were no tracks. And as soon as we were out the visibility disappeared again. I think God had his angels showing us the way out.

We got to the top, and ran into the search team. They guided us to the cabin and fed us and made sure we were ok.

They are AMAZING. They had roughly figured out where we were located from tips from other sledders, and when work they are so methodical. It's impressive. A HUGE thank you to them for the job they do.

When we got to the bottom we got to see 1/2 of Edson and Carrot Creek with food and drinks and welcomes! Donald and Daniel's brothers were there, and so many friends and neighbors, with many others prepping to come the next day.

A couple things I should have done was taken my InReach. I got lazy/complacent. When I started riding I used to pack all that stuff - for just in case - but I rode with really experienced guys so I never needed it. If you go up make sure you bring an InReach or something, some matches, extra food, and an extra sweater if you can. I know it caused stress to our families but we did the right thing by not panicking, and tearing around and falling off a cliff or something. We were still having a good time, even though our families weren't.

I really want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all the people who reached out to our familes and offered their kindness and support. You are all wonderful people. To all the people who we didn't even know that were gearing up to come help look, you showed what I think the real Alberta Spirit is, strong, reliable, willing to help at the drop of a hat, looking out for others. Please don't ever lose that.

Top Bottom