Maxis Zillas vs ITP Blackwater

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for anyone who has used eather of these tires. Used to ride in the mountains a lot but find my self at the lake more often now but still get out there from time to time. Just wondering what the Zillas would be like in rocky mountain terrain or what the Blackwaters would be like out at the lake sand and skeg type terrain Anyone care to weigh in

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at the CST Wildthangs as well. Same tread pattern as Zillas but with a much tougher casing, also a Maxxis brand. Mine have been living in the rocks the last few years. Climbs as good as anything else. I use to destroy my Zillas on a regular basis, sidewalls too soft.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran black waters on my last sxs and they were awesome, ride cadomin mostly but also do Vega and the sand hills area around whitecourt lots, one of my favourite tires

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at the CST Wildthangs as well. Same tread pattern as Zillas but with a much tougher casing, also a Maxxis brand. Mine have been living in the rocks the last few years. Climbs as good as anything else. I use to destroy my Zillas on a regular basis, sidewalls too soft.
Have to take a look at them and yea soft sidewalls would suck in the mountains and even though I don’t go out there that often just take’s one sharp rock to ruin your day

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran black waters on my last sxs and they were awesome, ride cadomin mostly but also do Vega and the sand hills area around whitecourt lots, one of my favourite tires
Yea was kind of leaning toward the Blackwaters I have bighorns right now and liked them but would like to try something different

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran both, blackwaters are far ahead of zillas but I do mostly high speed road... big lug tires are over rated, they break axles and dig deeper. you want to know when you are stuck. Stop and figure it out. My 2c. No issues with bighorns either just have to figure out your riding style.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Zillas, as great as they are for an all around general purpose trail tire, won’t last long in the rocks. To soft and will wear fast and or rip,cut, get torn. Blackwaters I don’t know much about other than their 30 year old predecessor. They were hard, tough as nails last forever type a tire that hooked up fairly well on various terrain. If the new ones, although the tread pattern is different, are built the same way, probably be a good choice.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zillas, as great as they are for an all around general purpose trail tire, won’t last long in the rocks. To soft and will wear fast and or rip,cut, get torn. Blackwaters I don’t know much about other than their 30 year old predecessor. They were hard, tough as nails last forever type a tire that hooked up fairly well on various terrain. If the new ones, although the tread pattern is different, are built the same way, probably be a good choice.

Zillas are a great tire but for a quad only IMO, they don’t stand up well to the weight of a SXS, not sure what the op is putting them on but Blackwaters would definitely trump the zillas. I currently have maxxis carnivores on my general but don’t like them as much as blackwaters

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea should have said putting them on a quad Grizzly 700 think I will go with the Blackwaters or another set of Bighorns

Travco28

Reaction score
I have Blackwaters on my outlander , Realy like them . they handle shale and knarley trails realy well .

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son has been running them on his grizzly for 3 years and no punctures and he rides the ch!t out of his machine. I put them on my RZR last year and they work very well in all environments. Not cheap, but they work very well.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have blackwaters on wife's rzr trail have been decent all around tire and have decent wear. They do measure small the 26 inch only came up to 25 & 1/4.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have blackwaters on wife's rzr trail have been decent all around tire and have decent wear. They do measure small the 26 inch only came up to 25 & 1/4.

Yes that’s for sure, my 30’s measured 29” ish,

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents for what it matters… I am not sure I like the 8 ply tires on quads . Their tough no doubt but harsh as hell on a bumpy trail, doesn’t do much for ride enjoyment imo. I don’t think you even need air in those tires. I have no experience with either tire listed but did have the 8 ply bear claw htr and they were super stiff. I been shopping for tires for a while now and think Ian just going back to the bighorns.

Travco28

Reaction score
good shocks make a big differance . I run Elka and love the ride with my Black waters

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zillas are great tires. Had them on a mid size ranger no complaints. My brother has them on a 900 ranger and has 7000km. Lots of farm and no rocks they’re getting pretty beat up. Wildthings are nice. Don’t know anyone with black waters so can’t comment on them

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents for what it matters… I am not sure I like the 8 ply tires on quads . Their tough no doubt but harsh as hell on a bumpy trail, doesn’t do much for ride enjoyment imo. I don’t think you even need air in those tires. I have no experience with either tire listed but did have the 8 ply bear claw htr and they were super stiff. I been shopping for tires for a while now and think Ian just going back to the bighorns.

Yep get some good shocks and it will fix that, but also 8 plys aren’t needed on a quad that’s for sure

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Wildthangs on my Cat. They were quite a bit cheaper on the supply and install from Rapid Revolutions. Jason said he has had nothing but good things said about them, so i went with them. That was 2016, and they still sling the mud like new, and i've had no issues with any rocks on the mountain rides. Still have tons of tread. I don't remember the exact km on them, but it has to be over 6000.
They do have a really nice balance to them, nice at higher speed on gravel.
Last year i put new tires on my wifes TRV. Selection was pretty poor, so we went with what she had, ITP's. But went with one size narrower. I hope that will help with reduced wear on the bearings, bushings and steering components.

Top Bottom