Maclean's magazine trashing sledders of all types...

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone like Rick Mercer would entertain a day in the hills on a sled? Not exactly a news source but he is someone that, through his comedic approach, can get the message across to a broad range of groups. I agree with Ezra being a very radical right wing and that may not get attention from the left but to be honest i think anything would be a good start at this point.

I can't stand Ezra, he comes off as another loud-mouth shnook looking for attention. Mercer is a guy I can get behind, people from all walks of life enjoy his material and can identify with him.

Plus it would probably be pretty fun to hang out with Rick and show him around, he's a funny dude.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sled.jpg Not to most appropriate response but made me smile a bit. Not very professional of me either lol

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know most will tell me to fawk off but do you see one of the most common complaints from the commenters? Noise, we are our own worst enemies with our loud cans.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't stand Ezra, he comes off as another loud-mouth shnook looking for attention. Mercer is a guy I can get behind, people from all walks of life enjoy his material and can identify with him.

Plus it would probably be pretty fun to hang out with Rick and show him around, he's a funny dude.

I agree, Ezra is definitely loud and comes across as the radical right wing foot stomper. My argument for using him as a voice is that he is not a form of media that is owned by the Liberal left wing and he will voice an opinion even when it is not the popular opinion. I do respect that as i see that Canadians in general are far to apologetic for everything rather than voicing our opinions and getting them out there. CBC, Macleans and the others showed their colors during the elections by demonizing the right and promoting the left, now look where we are.

Rick is definitely another presenter that voices his own opinion and does do it in a far more acceptable way than Ezra. Plus, like you said, he would be a fun guy to take out for a day.

I would gladly have either of these guys or another media member come out and experience a day in the mountains and challenge them to find any truth in the stories coming from these sources like Macleans.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
View attachment 194240Not to most appropriate response but made me smile a bit. Not very professional of me either lol

this is what we need more of... more responding directly to macleans, like you did... I don't have a twitter account at work, but will send something tonite from home :)

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd have to be pretty foolish to think we as a whole are completely innocent. As with any "special interest group" there's gonna be growing pains and sledders NEED to address them within the community before people from outside our community feel they need to step in.

Guys, if you are inclined to contact Macleans, be respectful. Be the "bigger man". That tweet was on-point till the asshat part, that wasn't called for and won't help our cause.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to most appropriate response but made me smile a bit. Not very professional of me either lol

Followed your lead, just minus the Azzhat part hahahahaha.

They also just posted a video of a skier appearing to go out of bounds and doing cliff drops while flipping. Don't have anything against this at all however how can they show snowmobiling as being so reckless but yet a skier doing this is just cool. Very hypocritical.

NORDIC

Reaction score
I know most will tell me to fawk off but do you see one of the most common complaints from the commenters? Noise, we are our own worst enemies with our loud cans.

Agree 100% with you on this matter!! Look at the bylaws in Ontario and the US because of this issue. A sledder will spend $400 on a can, which will benefit no one, and then tell me they can't afford trail pass, AST 1, beacon, etc.... my 2 cents.

acsledder

Reaction score
What about a bunch going for a nice sled ride in Jasper as an act of "civil disobedience" or as an expression of how fed up we are with the status quo

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about a bunch going for a nice sled ride in Jasper as an act of "civil disobedience" or as an expression of how fed up we are with the status quo
That's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. We're already considered civilly disobedient, that's the problem! It will just aid in adding to our already poor reputation of obeying closure areas and being reckless with no consideration of the environment.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd have to be pretty foolish to think we as a whole are completely innocent. As with any "special interest group" there's gonna be growing pains and sledders NEED to address them within the community before people from outside our community feel they need to step in.

Guys, if you are inclined to contact Macleans, be respectful. Be the "bigger man". That tweet was on-point till the asshat part, that wasn't called for and won't help our cause.

Good point old-soul. We should question this media. I'm going to send in a respectful comment.

Also too, I don't boat or back-country ski, but those stats are too concerning to me, to turn a blind eye. WE NEED TO PROTECT THE BOATERS AND BACK COUNTRY SKIERS folks. Write in that you would like an article written in Macleans to save these people from themselves. Don't they know the risks???!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but they are winning.... Sledding is losing...... :(

Here's a great example how the media influences people. The last few weeks there has been a lot of extra publicity in regards to snowmobiling.
My work office has a few sled posters and most of my co-workers know I love winter.. I cannot count how many people have approached me this week, and asked why I particiapte in such a dangerous sport. Why I take such high risks for a little bit of fun. Top it off with ruining the environment, running over small trees, etc.
This coming from people that have never sat on a sled, they think we're all a bunch of crazy speed freaks. I was sort of shocked to hear their comments and their general idea of what we do in the back country. They just don't know any better. The little info they do know, is all biased from reading these type of articles, adds, newspapers, magazines. Media wins all the time to plant a seed into the general public. Rarely do you read an article about the good stuff.
I'm just a normal guy, have a family, and I want to make it home safely just like everyone else. To me, it's way more dangerous driving to work every morning compared to riding my sled.
If a person has never been in our shoes, they will never know what it's really like. Sad part is, most will keep reading these articles and make their own conclusion and we'll be the bad guys.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to personally take the time and write an email to the author of this article and clear some mis-conceptions of our sport plus maybe add a few more stats as indicated about swimmers, canoes etc etc. I have dealt with the media before and unfortunately once they have formed an opinion it is hard to change their mind especially coming from an individual and not an organization. Which brings me to my next comment, I think that this warrants some type of response from the corporate world who depend on us "individuals" to buy their products. For example, Ski-Doo, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha and all the accessory companies such as clothing etc etc. They have a much larger voice than we do and may get better traction than one of us. Either way, I strongly feel a response from myself is necessary just to get it off my chest.

By the way, some pretty nasty comments going back and forth below the article but I like this guy who was defending his position. Good on him!!!

Wow, way to focus solely on the negative aspects of a sport. Lets look at the fighting, verbal abuse and concussions involved in all types of hockey. We could address the nearly 40,000 people a year that die in car accidents or the hundreds of thousands that are injured in vehicles. Heck nearly 10,000 people per year die from unintentional falls while in public. I think maybe we need some context here, better context. If in the injury and death stats you account for those who were not wearing a helmet and who were drinking and riding which are both completely illegal and not what the average rider would ever consider doing you will get a much different view of the sport. Heck nearly 40,000 Golfers a year are admitted to hospitals for injuries most of which result from head injuries. I think as a whole, considering a snowmobiler is controlling a 500 pound machine with a 100-175hp engine, we all do a pretty good job. Just because the 1% gets all the press doesn’t mean the 99% who do it right are part of a sport needing an overhaul. Wear a helmet, don’t drink and ride and ride within your limits, you do that (and besides the freak accidents that even happen in everything from bird watching to gardening) you’ll be alright. Unquote

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I am going to personally take the time and write an email to the author of this article and clear some mis-conceptions of our sport plus maybe add a few more stats as indicated about swimmers, canoes etc etc. I have dealt with the media before and unfortunately once they have formed an opinion it is hard to change their mind especially coming from an individual and not an organization. Which brings me to my next comment, I think that this warrants some type of response from the corporate world who depend on us "individuals" to buy their products. For example, Ski-Doo, Polaris, Arctic Cat, Yamaha and all the accessory companies such as clothing etc etc. They have a much larger voice than we do and may get better traction than one of us. Either way, I strongly feel a response from myself is necessary just to get it off my chest.

By the way, some pretty nasty comments going back and forth below the article but I like this guy who was defending his position. Good on him!!!

Wow, way to focus solely on the negative aspects of a sport. Lets look at the fighting, verbal abuse and concussions involved in all types of hockey. We could address the nearly 40,000 people a year that die in car accidents or the hundreds of thousands that are injured in vehicles. Heck nearly 10,000 people per year die from unintentional falls while in public. I think maybe we need some context here, better context. If in the injury and death stats you account for those who were not wearing a helmet and who were drinking and riding which are both completely illegal and not what the average rider would ever consider doing you will get a much different view of the sport. Heck nearly 40,000 Golfers a year are admitted to hospitals for injuries most of which result from head injuries. I think as a whole, considering a snowmobiler is controlling a 500 pound machine with a 100-175hp engine, we all do a pretty good job. Just because the 1% gets all the press doesn’t mean the 99% who do it right are part of a sport needing an overhaul. Wear a helmet, don’t drink and ride and ride within your limits, you do that (and besides the freak accidents that even happen in everything from bird watching to gardening) you’ll be alright. Unquote
That is one of the best "comments" I have EVER read. Good on that dude!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it is on us in the support to continue to improve our skills and awareness of safety training - backcountry survival , avalanche awareness, group management and machine savey, focus on positives of the machine the ability you have as a rider , your responsibility for those u ride with, the area preservation where you ride, the impression of others on you as a Sledder, be smart enjoy , be an ambassador, live life , we live our lives , do so with educated decisions, ride , enjoy the beauty and passion of what we experience , don't let the voice of the few , affect the passion of many! We can all do what we do better , we can always improve our skills and keep informed with regular safety avy courses. Be smart , be informed , live and enjoy , just be smart about it.

T

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That mud baller in the article comments is a real piece of work. Piece of something anyways.. He is so worried about someone exposing his real name, if anyone is computer savvy enough to figure it out send me a PM, I have no problem posting it

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW!

Show them sledders are not a bunch of idiots by being a bunch if idiots?

A great example of why sledders have the reputation they have.

Top Bottom