Lynx Boondocker 4100 Review and Technical Discussion

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Martin Motorsports i had had the chance to spend 3 solid days on the new Lynx Boondocker 165"/4100 model.

This is an interesting machine, at first glance most might assume this is just a different looking Summit, and dont get me wrong there are some similarities. I had this machine in my garage and i was staring at it for a an hour or so and the more i looked at it the more differences i found.

I have had so much interest and messages about this machine than initially anticipated. The most common question was would you choose this over an NA expert? i will post my findings and you will see that there is not really a straight answer to that because the machines are very different.

What i liked...

1. Narrower running boards ( to a degree )
2. curved plastics
3. Rigid rear suspension with No t motion ( some aspects )
4. Fit and finish
5. Factory brake reservoir protector, factory 12v plug.
6. Extra space around the tank
7. factory extreme mountain grips

What i didnt like...

1. Extra weight, you can feel it
2. The skis have to go and there is something wrong with the ski/rubber design. It allows the ski to flop down.
3. Bar riser, should be expert model height IMO
4. bars are standard diameter, i prefer the small diameter
5. Rear bumper
6. Front shocks, i feel these need to be KYB 40 to keep up with that rear skid.
7. Clutch calibration. I checked part numbers are the same as the expert but the ones i rode wanted to be on clicker 4? Generally NA summits run on clicker 3 at my elevation.

Overall this machine is a ton of fun, There are some aspects that i like and some that i dont. Through my testing i am able to 100% confirm that the machine will hold a steeper sidehill line in fresh snow easier, and more predictably. I am of the belief that this is due to the slightly narrower running board, the more refined curved in side panels, the rigid skid with no t motion, and the more forward A arm geometry. The Cockpit around the tank area has been narrowed and this is also a nice improvement jumping side to side. While the narrow boards are nice for side hilling i did find that my foot had a tendency to miss the running boards when performing technical maneuvers. This is likely just something that you would get used too with seat time. The rear suspension is phenomenal. Its like nothing i have ever rode before. Deep snow performance i would say is the same but you get this machine on a whopped out trail and WOW. Cuts through them like butter i have never experienced something so smooth.

From my findings the lynx has far superior trail performance. It tracks much better, with zero darting. It is more stable, and can handle the bumps like no other product on the market. However with the rear suspension working so well in the bumps i did find the front shocks to be holding it back. I think with KYB 40s in the front this would be a much better combination and more balanced. For deep snow technical riding the front skis and ski rubber needs to go. They have tooo much floatation when you are trying to dip a ski into the snow to perform a maneuver. They also make the machine harder to sidehill in low snow conditions. For whatever reason The way the ski and rubber are designed it allows the front of the ski to Dip down below horizontal when unloaded. This is a big problem as i ended up with the sled piled into some creek bank walls where i know for a fact my expert would have pulled through them.

I dont know the exact specifications on weight but i know the Lynx is heavier and you can feel this when riding and getting unstuck. It has beefier rails, suspension and chassis. Not bad things but in this technical riding game weight is important. I forgot to mention the rear snow deflector, it works great and doesn't hinder riding at all. The brackets are aluminum and the deflector is plastic. That may break but the aluminum brackets are strong. I really don't think its necessary but perhaps for long durations of trail riding as the tunnel is even shorter with less cooling.

Overall if i could take bits and pieces from this Lynx and put it on an expert you could build the ideal machine. But for now i still feel the Expert package summit is the better value. Its very clear when riding this sled that it is meant to be ridden hard and fast on backcountry trails and not necessarily built for high elevation deep snow riding. That being said it does perform well at both. If they had a boosted option i may be inclined to give it a shot for the season. But once you go boost it is very hard to go back to these NA machines. Some have asked me if the changes in the Lynx makeup for it being Non turbo and the answer to that is a definite No. This sled performs similar to an NA expert but caries extra weight and price tag. That being said it is stronger and has a better rear suspension so these are things you need to take into consideration if you are thinking about a lynx. If i had more time i would have liked to try the Expert skis and bar riser on the machine and give it another try.

Below are some comparison photos and measurements. Lots of interesting things here.....

If you have questions ask away. I think i spent more time on this machine than most have so far Next to Rosco and Ribbi so i have a very good feel for it.

IMG_2726.jpg IMG_2727.jpg

Lynx VS 2021 Summit Expert Turbo - Tunnel Length
as you can see the tunnel is much shorter. Full width of the level which is 2"
While it seems to flip over slightly easier i had a really hard time getting the leverage on the bumper when getting unstuck as you are leaning further over the track.

IMG_2728.jpg IMG_2729.jpg

Lynx Vs 2021 Summit Turbo - Linq/ tunnel area
- much less room for accessories here...not so sure you could get 2 full Linq accessories on here? i did not try though. This is a 165 vs 165 so the 154 would have much less again.

IMG_2730.jpg IMG_2731.jpg

Lynx Vs 2021 Summit Turbo - running Boards
Full Inch narrower. Less foot room but helps side hilling steep terrain.

IMG_2732.jpg IMG_2733.jpg

Lynx Vs 2021 Summit Turbo - skis
Almost 2" wider. Great floatation. Not so good for tech maneuvers

IMG_2735.jpg IMG_2734.jpg

Lynx Vs 2021 Summit Turbo - Cockpit area
Lots of extra space here which is a welcomed improvement. I don't believe the geometry is different they just removed unnecessary plastic. I sure like this.

IMG_2738.jpg IMG_2739.jpg

Lynx Vs 2021 Summit Turbo - side panels
Look how the panels curve inwards towards the A arms. I firmly believe this aids in cutting through the snow better on a steep sidehill. Even though the overall panel width remains the same.

IMG_2741.jpg IMG_2740.jpg

Lynx Vs 2021 Summit Turbo - Rear suspension measurements
I don't know what this means but its worth a discussion. This Measurement is from ski Bolt to Rear ski mount bolt

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 742

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_2743.jpg IMG_2742.jpg

Lynx VS 2021 Summit Expert Turbo - attack angle
Hard to see but there was talk of the Lynx having a lower attack angle. In my eyes it does not. But i did not have an inclinometer to check. 2021 expert in the background

IMG_2745.jpg
Lynx Rear skid
photo just because its a work of art.

IMG_2746.jpg IMG_2747.jpg
Lynx VS 2021 Summit Expert Turbo - Rails

Much beefier on the Lynx, way less windows.

IMG_2749.jpg IMG_2748.jpg
Lynx VS 2021 Summit Expert Turbo - Front end Geometry
Hard to tell but this measurement is a full Inch different from the Lynx to the Summit. It is a full Inch longer from center of chaincase to ski bolt. This tells me the front end is 1" further foward ( more raked) on the Lynx

4953AC12-8A28-4877-A166-C5389AD8D9BF.JPG IMG_2716.jpg

Just a beautiful looking machine. But check out how that ski dips down on my lift. Yikes.

IMG_2750.jpg 834A80F0-0DAB-4C89-A589-3A76A7E0E743.JPG

Some Action Shots

Last edited:

Twistgrip

Reaction score
Hey Maxwell,

Thank for the awesome review. I ride mostly off trail, boondocking in the UP of Michigan with the exception of out west probably once a year. It sounds like the way you described this sled it fits my style of riding. As we all know their isn't one sled that's absolutely perfect in everyway but you were very informative on your review and makes me even more excited about the sled. I ordered the 3900 boondocker. By chance when the dealer put the skis on could've they put the ski rubbers on backwards or doesn't it matter?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you try picking up the front end on both sled like I mentioned??? Big difference in the transfer.

Thank for the review Sean!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxwell,

Thank for the awesome review. I ride mostly off trail, boondocking in the UP of Michigan with the exception of out west probably once a year. It sounds like the way you described this sled it fits my style of riding. As we all know their isn't one sled that's absolutely perfect in everyway but you were very informative on your review and makes me even more excited about the sled. I ordered the 3900 boondocker. By chance when the dealer put the skis on could've they put the ski rubbers on backwards or doesn't it matter?

i dont think so...i discussed that with them. And if you look at the marketing material for the lynx boondockeer, videos mainly...you can see it

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you try picking up the front end on both sled like I mentioned??? Big difference in the transfer.

Thank for the review Sean!

i sure did.....interestingly enough that difference in transfer doesn't seem to corelate to deep snow performance in any way. Trail performance 100% it does.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can someone fix my pictures in second post or are they showing up ok....?

EH Max is that tape your using english (inches) or METRIC ..........maybe you have a few tapes in the garage or maybe a few BEER were had......

PS Don't DROOL to much cause the Polaris boys will be on ya like stink on Shet.......dude there buzzing right now ,,,,,,,

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i sure did.....interestingly enough that difference in transfer doesn't seem to corelate to deep snow performance in any way. Trail performance 100% it does.
That I would respectfully disagree with . I felt that I would out climb a expert [non turbo] on the lynx because the rear suspension kept the track on the snow better. The whole sled seemed quieter to ride . Does anyone actually know what the weight difference is?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That I would respectfully disagree with . I felt that I would out climb a expert [non turbo] on the lynx because the rear suspension kept the track on the snow better. The whole sled seemed quieter to ride . Does anyone actually know what the weight difference is?

Hmm maybe it was my suspension setup. No clue how to adjust it so didn’t bother lol

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great sled for the back east trail riders that want to also get off trail. Not sure why anyone that rides in the mountains would want one. No turbo no thanks.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great sled for the back east trail riders that want to also get off trail. Not sure why anyone that rides in the mountains would want one. No turbo no thanks.

yea, like i said. There are bits and peices i would like to take from it that i feel would make the summit a better machine.. Running boards, rear skid, front end geometry, sidepanels, and narrow tank area would all be welcomed improvements to the summit. The lynx is good but its heavier and you need to change things on it right out of the box......The expert you do not. Especially in turbo trim.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea, like i said. There are bits and peices i would like to take from it that i feel would make the summit a better machine.. Running boards, rear skid, front end geometry, sidepanels, and narrow tank area would all be welcomed improvements to the summit. The lynx is good but its heavier and you need to change things on it right out of the box......The expert you do not. Especially in turbo trim.

thanks for the great review Sean. Based on that I don't need to try one. Your advice was right on when I got my Freeride.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the pics it looks like you got it into some deep pow. Ass end looks strange and i haven't figured out how that rear shock really works. Seems like it wouldn't trench with all the weight on the skid up front. -only assuming by pictures- and does your expert have t motion or lock out? Side hill on the skid feel the same? nice write up thanks for taking the time to share with us folk that haven't seen one yet:beer:

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 separate companies under 1 corporation BRP .. with 2 different visions going after 2 different market shares in 2 ,3,4 5 etc differenT categories ... internal , xXxternaLL competitive ness for ToTal DoM -A- NATioN ... for the past the presenT and going forward inTo the futuRE ... Tic toc !! tic tic tic !! toc toc toc !! tic toc ... how to build a CORPeRATE TiMEBoMB from aLL sides in aLL forms !!! fun fun till youR daDDy taKes youR DeaLERSHiP aWaYYYYYYY !!! restructure the structure .. reapply and muLT -A-pLY ... but donT forget to cross the eYes and doTT the TTs ... Look up in the top leFT hand corner on ever Page u neVer know what u may or may noT Seeee ezZz !!... dooo the besT Ya can see WhaT HaPPeNs !! WE ARE sledders and we will make the final choose who we support .. good .. bad .. or fuGGLeY !!!

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By the pics it looks like you got it into some deep pow. Ass end looks strange and i haven't figured out how that rear shock really works. Seems like it wouldn't trench with all the weight on the skid up front. -only assuming by pictures- and does your expert have t motion or lock out? Side hill on the skid feel the same? nice write up thanks for taking the time to share with us folk that haven't seen one yet:beer:

i found the opposite, i had some trenching issues but i had no idea how to adjust this machine so im sure it was just a setup issue. My Expert does not have the T motion lockout. The sidehill on the lynx feels better IMO, tracks very straight on a steep sidehill in deep snow

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i found the opposite, i had some trenching issues but i had no idea how to adjust this machine so im sure it was just a setup issue. My Expert does not have the T motion lockout. The sidehill on the lynx feels better IMO, tracks very straight on a steep sidehill in deep snow

A sled with the skis farther forward is less twitchy and will sidehill better. This is how Polaris does it too but on steep downhills it wants to go straight down into trees so you have to get aggressive and own it to pull up on one ski to change direction. When the riders weight is more "on-top" of the skis its easier to roll out and steer to whip around and go back horizontal to the hill or back uphill. This is where the Doo geometry works good.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread Sean, took some time to lay this out, nice work. Any concerns with that top shock being so close to the inside of the track on the lynx? Maybe it’s just the picture angle but looks tight there? How does that skid clear snow out with that rear setup?

Top Bottom