Living in a 5th wheel, travel trailer or camper year round.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with a dream of living on the road. I think winter would be a problem even if the unit is winterized. Has anyone ever done this?

I think if you had a permanent spot with hookups and hoarded it in you might have a chance. Moving around day to day has got to be a challenge. What would be the ultimate rig?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where's Rowdy when you need her? She dabbled in this as I recall.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of it in the transient town of grande prairie haha. Depends we’re he’s going and how often he’s moving.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where's Rowdy when you need her? She dabbled in this as I recall.

I'm familiar with Rowdy's former rig. It was a bit of an experiment and circumstances meant it never got a long test.

Lots of it in the transient town of grande prairie haha. Depends we’re he’s going and how often he’s moving.

Lots of people living full time in campgrounds but that's not the same as moving almost daily.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Rowdy's former rig. It was a bit of an experiment and circumstances meant it never got a long test.

Lots of people living full time in campgrounds but that's not the same as moving almost daily.

Yea that’s why I asked how often he’s moving. You won’t do it in this temperature. Does he have toys, sled or quad? If he’s moving daily why do it in a 5th wheel. If he’s going to do it in a 5th wheel you want to utilize all its functions. In order to do that you have to get water, dump your grey water, dump your chit tank, power. Depends on what he’s doing and we’re he’s going. Always get a kick out guys spending $80-$100k on 5th wheel toy-hauler then heading to the Bush.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should add that it's a she with a massive dog.

Personally l can only see this working in the warmer months with something like a Westfalia.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and I lived in our 5th wheel toy hauler for just over a year with our great dane. Summer was easy and nothing special needed. But winter we were in one place and setup so we could still use all the features of the trailer. So we had heat traced water line and sewage line. Skirting all around with a small heater to keep the temperatures above freezing. We did it as a way to save money to build our house, if I was single I'd do it for sure. But as soon as we had our first daughter the wife said no more after a couple months with the 3 of us.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's always truck stops for showers but l think living without running water for 5 months is possible but would get old. I wonder how long a standard propane bottle lasts in a winter situation.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The holiday trailers eat propane when it's cold. -40 for very long and you are looking at a massive propane bill.

Realistically -40 doesn't happen that often but even at more average winter temperatures a person would be swapping bottles pretty regularly. Even a truck camper will take some time to feel comfortable once parked for the day. Fuel in the truck and generator have to be factored too.

This isn't an all or nothing deal. She can always retreat to civilization when needed but says she doesn't want to.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a specific area where "on the road" is? It is much easier to winter in an RV in Victoria or Osoyoos than Tuktoyaktuk. Everything noted so far is very valid with respect to moving, hookups and propane. I imagine you would go through a 30 pound tank every two to three days in a cold snap.

Realistically -40 doesn't happen that often but even at more average winter temperatures a person would be swapping bottles pretty regularly. Even a truck camper will take some time to feel comfortable once parked for the day. Fuel in the truck and generator have to be factored too.

This isn't an all or nothing deal. She can always retreat to civilization when needed but says she doesn't want to.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fill up propane at where i work part time on Fernie and lots of winter RV'ers get 100 pound tanks as they last alot longer and less worry about running out in the middle of the night

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are moving around on a weekly basis its going to be a huge hassle and not worth it. Anything below 0 needs to be skirted in and a heat trace on water line.. Running a heat trace on sewer is really not needed as if its set up properly with slope their will never be anything laying in the pipe, and having a heater underneath is also not needed most of the time. You need to run the furnace in these things as this is what keeps the water, pipes, and tanks from freezing up. Most people think its better to run electric heaters but thats about the worst thing you can do as it does not circulate heat where needed and puts the unit close to running max amps not to mention wiring was never really designed for that in a trailer.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did this once for work years ago in my 20s,my first one was boxed on outside with pink foamboard wrapped in poly,it couldn't move,called it the pink pallace!
the one I have now is insulated on the inside 20' TT ,double insulated floor,heated waste tanks,heat traced,under the bed water tank,heat blankets for propane bottles,inside battery's....you definitely need to burn the dreaded carbon to keep you batteries up for all this,moisture is always a problem,and the aluminum door casing always sweats and freezes up,gotta figure something out with that.A normal 5th wheel traveling around like this would be hell on earth in winter.They make well site trailers but think only for hookups,called the bruiser,or the million dollar earth roamer!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did 7 months in the North Thompson one time May-Nov and it sucked ass. Have to leave the AC on in the summer or it'd be 35C+ inside when I got home from work and take 2hrs to cool down. It was just starting to get chilly in Oct/Nov and the floors were really cold in the mornings and it would be eating propane to keep it comfortable inside. I always felt cramped up inside, it was basically chit all around. A true 4 season unit would be better but I can't see it being comfortable unless you were setup and skirted in. Being nomadic would suck and winter roads would destroy the trailer.

Top Bottom