Living in a 5th wheel, travel trailer or camper year round.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i work with an idiot that has lived in his suv for over a year now stays in parking lots canadian tire, super store or anyplace he can get free wifi spends a lot on gas running his vehicle and comes to work 3 hours early to shower and cook his breakfast

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i work with an idiot that has lived in his suv for over a year now stays in parking lots canadian tire, super store or anyplace he can get free wifi spends a lot on gas running his vehicle and comes to work 3 hours early to shower and cook his breakfast

Centex gas station in Nisku there’s a guy that lives in his 80’s camper van all year. And he has a dog to.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be a story behind SUV and 80's camper guy. There are people that live the winter in wall tents in the wilderness. Really not any stranger is it?

I prefer a warm dry house with all the conveniences and have been fortunate enough in life to always have one.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea that’s why I asked how often he’s moving. You won’t do it in this temperature. Does he have toys, sled or quad? If he’s moving daily why do it in a 5th wheel. If he’s going to do it in a 5th wheel you want to utilize all its functions. In order to do that you have to get water, dump your grey water, dump your chit tank, power. Depends on what he’s doing and we’re he’s going. Always get a kick out guys spending $80-$100k on 5th wheel toy-hauler then heading to the Bush.

I don’t understand your statement about using a $100 k fifth wheel in the bush. Is that not what there for. Or am I missing something here.
Honest question!

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand your statement about using a $100 k fifth wheel in the bush. Is that not what there for. Or am I missing something here.
Honest question!

The fsr roads around here are not exactly fit for a trailer like that. Then again. If you payed that much for a trailer you can likely afford to pound it down a goat path too.

Cheers.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been living in my TT will be two years in March. It’s skirted and the water line heat traced. I have a ceramic heater under the trailer and one in the trailer. (The heater underneath and heat trace are plugged into there own 30amp plug)

It’s not to bad down south but it does get nippy some nights. And yea the electrical in trailers sucks, If I’m cooking with the toaster oven/microwave I have to have the heater turned off. I don’t run my furnace and I have a dehumidifier running pretty much 24/7.

If I were to do it again I’d buy an artic fox/four season trailer. Its not ideal living but it does beat spending 1k+ on renting a shoebox

pad fees are 525/ winter months and 680 in summer months

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fsr roads around here are not exactly fit for a trailer like that. Then again. If you payed that much for a trailer you can likely afford to pound it down a goat path too.

Cheers.

I get ya. I’ve never understood how anybody needs a $100k unit period. Your freakin camping. Most them units are nicer then most peoples houses.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh they go up into the $150k range...let me tell yah camping is goood in the tridum toyhauler.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been living in my TT will be two years in March. It’s skirted and the water line heat traced. I have a ceramic heater under the trailer and one in the trailer. (The heater underneath and heat trace are plugged into there own 30amp plug)

It’s not to bad down south but it does get nippy some nights. And yea the electrical in trailers sucks, If I’m cooking with the toaster oven/microwave I have to have the heater turned off. I don’t run my furnace and I have a dehumidifier running pretty much 24/7.

If I were to do it again I’d buy an artic fox/four season trailer. Its not ideal living but it does beat spending 1k+ on renting a shoebox

pad fees are 525/ winter months and 680 in summer months

So you are heating with 100% electric? Is the heat fairly even with nothing moving air around? If you don't run the dehumidifier how bad does it get?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you are heating with 100% electric? Is the heat fairly even with nothing moving air around? If you don't run the dehumidifier how bad does it get?

Yea it’s 100% electric. The little ceramic heater in the trailer (1500w) has internal fan that pushes the heat pretty good. The heater is plugged into the opposite end as my bedroom (rear of the trailer where the living room is) it keeps me warm for when I’m lounging around/having meals. When it’s below 0 the bedroom is noticeably colder, but that’s what duvets are for haha.

Its crazy how much the dehumidifier collects, if I leave the trailer Saturday morning to go into town and return Sunday late evening the tank is almost full. That’s mostly because it’s so humid down here though, cowtown would be dryer I’d think.
On weekdays I empty out the dehumidifier everyday as well it’s usually 3/4 full every 24ish hours. I wouldn’t know how bad it gets without the dehumidifier as I always have it running to avoid mould/mildew buildup

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some issues you can run into especially way up north is you are actually developing frost between your wall panels if it's really cold outside,some walls are made of 3/4 or 1 inch pink or yellow fibreglass insulation,if there's any.Also any hole drilled into a wall maybe for a cord or something,did his drill bit catch it and twist up insulation inside the wall? Who knows. I'm sure the foamboard wall made trailers are wayyyy better.

f150truck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you had a 4 season unit like brands, Arctic Fox (already mentioned) or a Roughneck, then might not be too bad. But normal RV trailers are bad to try to use even in the late fall in Alberta (-10 to 10C).

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ea69dc2fe2dd9abd86e2b5c0d8109675.jpg

Did a service call to this one few years ago

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did a service call to this one few years ago[/QUOTE]

That guy better have a dehumidifier. I wonder if you still get cell service in there?

The girl in question apparently has a friend who is happy as a clam living in a Sprinter van. Not done up either, just a hollow van.

Anyway, this is all moot as she will never do it.

Top Bottom