Life expectations on the yamaha turbos.

Stiltzz

Reaction score
Hi all, lm a newbie. This is my first post. I have a chance to buy a 17 sidewinder. It's got 266 hours on it and just under 9k. I know 4 strokes have no problem handling the milage if one does his due diligence in the maintenance, but my concern is the turbo. Anyone who can share real world experiences with any prevalent issues with the sled in general would be helpful. What do I have to look out for with this specific sled if any? I'm a die hard yamaha man but have had a 12yr break in the sport. I bought the first year viper and remember that they missed the shock setup terribly that first yr. I also bought a new attack in 07 with 0 problems. I've owned just about every model yamaha has made at one time or another and love the quality and finish along with the fact that I've never been towed on a yamaha. Thanks for reading this and any input on the sled in general would be helpful. This guy wants over 10k and like I said it has 9k on it. Never thought in a million yrs I would consider buying such a high milage sled but it is only because it is a yamaha that I would ever consider it. Thanks stiltzz

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can easily check the condition of the turbo, remove the exhaust and check for any shaft play. If you think how many kms people put on turbos outside the sledding industry you shouldn't be to concerned. End of the day of the turbo goes just seems like an excuse for an upgrade.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have read on Totally Yamaha there are fellows with over 30,000kms on the Winders.
Unless it was never maintained or maybe ingested chunks of snow too damage the turbo vain the engine will out last the Cat chassis by a long shot.
There are guys out there running well over 300hp with ZERO issues.
FYI, I have 6,000kms on mine on an MCX power up and it runs like the day it came out of the crate.
I would trust an 9,000km Winder with my life over any of these Russian roulette sleds sold out there.

Stiltzz

Reaction score
I have read on Totally Yamaha there are fellows with over 30,000kms on the Winders.
Unless it was never maintained or maybe ingested chunks of snow too damage the turbo vain the engine will out last the Cat chassis by a long shot.
There are guys out there running well over 300hp with ZERO issues.
FYI, I have 6,000kms on mine on an MCX power up and it runs like the day it came out of the crate.
I would trust an 9,000km Winder with my life over any of these Russian roulette sleds sold out there.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Enjoy and be safe out there. I looked for any information on the subject and I had better luck finding unicorns. If you have a opinion on price I would like to hear it. The guy wants 10500.its a 17 xtx se not sure of track length.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not a good time to be in the market for any toys right now, 10500, it will sell, you would be lucky to find anything much cheaper, maybe in the spring.
Better then a new 2smoke that will need a rebuild quicker then a 9,000km Winder.

Stiltzz

Reaction score
Thanks Lund, I appreciate your feedback. Seems like a good bunch of people on this site. I think I'm going to wait. Maybe find something in the off season.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a terrible deal. Theres better sleds for same price u just got to keep looking.

Stiltzz

Reaction score
Sounds like a terrible deal. Theres better sleds for same price u just got to keep looking.
Ty for your reply and affirmation. I feel that way also. Going to keep looking

Tuesdayyx

Reaction score
Lets some video of that mcx. I always wondered what that combo would be like. My mcx nytro at 12k never missed a beat. I unloaded the sw bc even with the flash the power was low and the sled need more hp to effectively get up on the plain. The newer chassis seem to do that so well. Just pop back up on top of the snow.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the motors are the last of your worries tuned or not, just don't spin the primary backwards and do your maintenance and your good to go, most fun sled on the hill when you set it up properly. That of course is my opinion and not a very popular one at that :censored:

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you search Kijiji Canada wide right now the cheapest winder is $11,000 and it has 15,000 km on it

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i met a guy with older RX1 4 cyl with 55,000 kms on stock motor 3 tracks.. 10 set of sliders,, and i know a few here for sale..think one wants $5000 ,,low miles.. turbo is too much for a 65 yr old now..

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s a really nice 19 king cat on Kijiji. Man it’s tempting. But I think the one your looking at is overpriced from what I’ve seen.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s a really nice 19 king cat on Kijiji. Man it’s tempting. But I think the one your looking at is overpriced from what I’ve seen.
The one with 36kms?

Top Bottom