Lets talk protective gear!

drew17

Reaction score
slowly been adding to what i wear when i ride in the mountains in terms of protective clothing.
so far
509 shin and knee pads
tek vest
looking for opinions on what you like to ride with and equipment you choose and why?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started wearing armor in the late 90's, it was Fox moto gear for chest and hockey shin pads.
From 98-2006 I professionally hill climbed as a self sponsored to eventual BRP sponsored rider in the early 2000.
During my BRP days I started wearing the Klim Tekvest and since then have never rode without one.
Currently I'm on my second vest as the first wore out from too many war scares.
This year for the first time in all these years I will not be wearing shin guards as I'm trying out these new moto snow boots from Klim made for snowbikes. They are similar to motocross boots but for snow and have built in shin protection.

Today I feel naked without the armor and even though hill climbing isn't my deal though I will climb, there are plenty of unseen hazards out there that can ruin your day. I know, last week I ran into a hole large enough to swallow my 174. By the time I realized it I got the wind knocked out of me from smashing the handle bars. Thank goodness for the Tekvest my day wasn't ruined....poop happens. It's one thing when your near a trail but when your a kilometer or 2 and over a range in no man's land's, not good. Happy sledding

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Downhill mountain bike knee/shin pads and a TekVest.

Watch the old snow cross video of the competitor who gets hit from behind when he stuffs his sled in a mogul. If it wasn’t for his TekVest I’m sure he would be dead, or at least badly injured. Dude got up and finished the race after the restart. The video is on utube and the TekVest website.

Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with the Travis Pastrana's EVS 199 Knee pads and shin pads (makes a big difference to wear knee pads, Rode yesterday without, I regret that)
the a FOX chest protector.
I picked these mainly because they were inexpensive. for me, they work, and didn't break my bank. Some days I do wish my arms had some protection on them as well.

flatspeed

Reaction score
^ I also wear the EVS TP199 knee/shin guards. I used to have bruised knees after every ride from slamming forward during small hits and jumps. They are soft enough that you don't notice them, and they dont rip your nice goretex pants too! Peeling them off at the end of the day is the only downside.

Reactions: RXN

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the EVS TP199 knee pads as well. Definite game changer. I won't even ride flat land without them (although there's usually air involved). I wear the same pads on the sled or the bike.

I also have an EVS chest protector, however I am looking at upgrading to a tekvest.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the EVS TP199 knee pads as well. Definite game changer. I won't even ride flat land without them (although there's usually air involved). I wear the same pads on the sled or the bike.

I also have an EVS chest protector, however I am looking at upgrading to a tekvest.
Knee braces are good. I bought a set and they were slightly small for me. So I bought a second set. I am selling a set of the carbon ones with knee protection $500 bucks. I believe I paid around $750. I wore them for an hour on a sled maybe two hours max just riding ditches. They were a little bit too tight around my knee so I bought a bigger size. These are large/xl And adjustable.

Attachments

• 4BF28FDA-44C8-4899-8E42-0CB0E0778F3A.jpeg
    4BF28FDA-44C8-4899-8E42-0CB0E0778F3A.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 69

drew17

Reaction score
alot of options out there for protection. its another one of those areas where you buy cheap and just end up buying the right stuff within a season or 2

EldestEldo

Reaction score
I use the gear I bought back when I rode downhill bikes in the Whistier Bike park. It’s basically motocross gear, upper body armor with a spine protector, full length attached sleeves with elbow pads built in. And Asterix knee braces. Basically the same thing I wear when riding my dirt bike on the summer. Also wear padded shorts for hip protection.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fox knee/shin guards for years now. Used to always catch my shins on running board edges or bash my knee in a tender spot. Tried wearing the knee/shin protection I bought for dual sport riding but they feel too bulky for sledding. The avy vest seems to have enough protection for my upper body.
I can only imagine how hot I would get if I wore the upper body protection I wear on the bike.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure happy as hell to be wearing it today
Went over an unexpected drop. Couldn't bail either. Chest and knees took the brunt of it. So glad I had protection on

Top Bottom