Let's Talk...... Pressure Washers

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Looking to invest in a pressure washer for the acreage, will be used for washing the house, the deck, the lawn tractor, the ATV's, possibly the vehicles.

Not sure what I should be looking for in terms of GPM, or PSI, or gas vs electric, or even suggested "deals" that you've seen out there.

Thanks in advance.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I've had several gas and several electric pressure washers... still have one of each, but only have the small 1300psi electric at home. At our shop, we use a "water whacker" and it is a heavy duty electric unit. I would strongly suggest that for any acreage, as it is extremely reliable. We actually took it apart and mounted it up our tire rack system and bought a 50ft hd hose for it. Designed for extended use, hot or cold water. We have had ours for 20 years now, and still use it daily for washing floors etc.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Save your money and don't cheap out. Invest in something good. I've had 2 of the cheap Simonize and Karcher (both of them presents on various occasions) and they are junk. Besides not having enough pressure, you have a hard time getting parts if you can get parts at all.

Last year I bought a Diamond from CT. It is a 3200 psi gas job with a Honda motor. Other than the cheap hose (I replaced it the other day with a rubber, more flexible hose) it is a great unit. Soap pickup and various nozzles. Best thing since sliced bread.

The one thing I like about a gas job; it will still work if you have a grass/wild fire and they have had to shot off your power.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your money and don't cheap out. Invest in something good. I've had 2 of the cheap Simonize and Karcher (both of them presents on various occasions) and they are junk. Besides not having enough pressure, you have a hard time getting parts if you can get parts at all.

Last year I bought a Diamond from CT. It is a 3200 psi gas job with a Honda motor. Other than the cheap hose (I replaced it the other day with a rubber, more flexible hose) it is a great unit. Soap pickup and various nozzles. Best thing since sliced bread.

The one thing I like about a gas job; it will still work if you have a grass/wild fire and they have had to shot off your power.

I have the same unit very impressed.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My bro in law paid 900 new 2 years ago. Make a serious offer and you can have it.
He’s liquidating and I have a bunch of stuff to sell for him
33C2C43E-2711-4EA7-AE8C-F882B198ACBA.jpeg

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
3000 psi is a must. I had a simoniz gas jobber. With I think the Honda 160 engine. Ran great. No issues with it whatsoever ever until The wife left it out last spring and it froze that night, cracking the head. I used it for everything you mentioned. And I ran hot water through it all the time, even though your not suppose to. If you don’t want the noise associated with the gas engine, go electric, but that’s another cord to stretch with a water hose.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
You need volume more then pressure if you want washing performance.

Not necessarily. Go to a car wash and use the fire hose. Sure it’s gonna blast all the big chunks off fast, but it’s not gonna be clean. That’s where the pressure comes in, along with heat. Cold water doesn’t get anything clean either.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For any heavy stuff 3200 psi is a minimum ...around the house for decks / siding you can get away with smaller electric one - too much psi will strip soft finishes .....

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 11 gallons a min and 3500 to 4000 psi that gets ch!t done PM me if you need any help 3000psi with 2 gallons a min is garbage. Don't go to crappy tire to buy a pressure washer there all junk buy a good one once and have it a long time

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Go to a car wash and use the fire hose. Sure it’s gonna blast all the big chunks off fast, but it’s not gonna be clean. That’s where the pressure comes in, along with heat. Cold water doesn’t get anything clean either.

Yes but we are talking pressure washers not fire hoses ?
Pressure , heat and some volume gets it done .
No volume with pressure isn’t great .
Karcher or Hotsy for me .
IMG_3844.jpg

I have this one and it’s great

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
View attachment 237209
Those are great units until you burn your arm on the hose. Lol. I love mine, cleans all the excess grease from the tractors pivot points so good with no degreaser at all. Takes all the poplar sap off also. I’m not sure how some pumps rate pressure but I think a lot that say 3000psi that’s a static pressure not flowing pressure.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dad sells alot of washers for Ag customers at our shop. If it doesn't come with a Cat or Comet pump he won't sell it anymore. Comets are slightly more reliable. Hotsy's have been good for us as well but you are in a different price teir

If you are on your own we'll, like we are, pay attention to the wand tips. Ours calcite up pretty quick and need to be soaked regularly. Nothing worse than going to wash something and nothing comes out

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dad sells alot of washers for Ag customers at our shop. If it doesn't come with a Cat or Comet pump he won't sell it anymore. Comets are slightly more reliable. Hotsy's have been good for us as well but you are in a different price teir

If you are on your own we'll, like we are, pay attention to the wand tips. Ours calcite up pretty quick and need to be soaked regularly. Nothing worse than going to wash something and nothing comes out

Your dads knows what he’s talking about. A Cat pump will outlast any pump mentioned. The one I have is probably 30 years old pumped farm water for 20 years and how I have it on city water. Still builds it’s rated psi. I started pumping hot water from my vissman combi pack though it. Not recommend for the model I have but it’s been going for 7 years.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread. We have a karcher that needs to see the dr. It has done a lot of washing on the farm/ wash bay but still feel should last longer. As it’s been repaired once already. This is 2nd or 3rd one we have killed
Going to check out those kenridgesales We have natural gas 20’ from where washer sits so maybe an upgrade over diesel fired

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
View attachment 237209

It’s a comparison of volume vs pressure though. Volume alone won’t get anything clean whereas pressure will. It’ll suck because it’ll take forever from the lack of volume for sure. But being on a lake lot or acreage or wherever that doesn’t have a pressurized town system, I’d sacrifice volume over pressure. Not all Wells will support it. I’ve seen lots where a simple garden hose will pump a well dry within a half hour. Having all three things is great. Heat isn’t necessary, but sure is nice. And if I have to sacrifice a bit in the other 2 things, it’ll be volume. I’d take 3000 psi at 2.5gpm over a 3200 at 4gpm easily if I had a poor well or had to have water trucked in with a cistern system.

Top Bottom