Let's talk about gravel

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Total uneducated newbie question, but I figure someone on here will know the answers.

How many yards of gravel does a standard gravel truck hold? What about a truck and pup?

What are people seeing for per yard price of gravel in this crazy 2022 year?

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truck carries 10-12 yards same with the pup, tridem enddump is 28-30 yards

Shop around A little and you can save a bit, trucking side has gone up for sure

How much you need ?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trucking has went up a fair bit, i'm paying $95/hr for tandem instead of $85/hr, the gravel itself hasn't went up much though. If you need lots truck and pup is best if you have the access for it. Tandem will haul about 12 yards, depending on how many axles on pup will haul anywhere from 10-25 yards. One thing to watch is if you hire a truck and they say tandem load or something like that, some guys will bring a really small one like 10 yards or less unless you specifically mention the quantity and get receipt from where it was loaded. They all charge by ton, I think it's just under $30? Depending on use recycled concrete is a good choice too and a fair bit cheaper around $20/ton.

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Truck carries 10-12 yards same with the pup, tridem enddump is 28-30 yards

Shop around A little and you can save a bit, trucking side has gone up for sure

How much you need ?
Looking like we'll be needing 18-24 cubic yards. The trick is we need it up by Flatbush, I have the name and number of the local gravel guy there. Waiting to hopefully see road bans lift sooner than later before we order.

Probably 3/4" road crush.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trucking has went up a fair bit, i'm paying $95/hr for tandem instead of $85/hr, the gravel itself hasn't went up much though. If you need lots truck and pup is best if you have the access for it. Tandem will haul about 12 yards, depending on how many axles on pup will haul anywhere from 10-25 yards. One thing to watch is if you hire a truck and they say tandem load or something like that, some guys will bring a really small one like 10 yards or less unless you specifically mention the quantity and get receipt from where it was loaded. They all charge by ton, I think it's just under $30? Depending on use recycled concrete is a good choice too and a fair bit cheaper around $20/ton.
I wouldn't even start my truck for those rates.

Standard pit run Ina a tandem yes 10-12 yards depending on sand content. Should be around $6/yard.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just had 5 tandem truck loads (10-12yrd per truck) of 3/4 crush put on my driveway. They had to travel 8km to get to my place, $425 per truckload.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are joke rates. As Swat said I wouldnt start my truck for that. No wonder you see so many crappy dump trucks around Alberta. Around here the union rate for a Tandem dump is $145 plus a fuel clause. The fly by night guys who will work for less usually get run out of town fairly quickly, by CVSE and the main core truckers.

The only time rates get close to that is snow hauling. The city does a rate bid where you send them what you will work for, then they hire based upon cheapest to most expensive. What is really funny is the cheap guys start out, then they break down, by the time the hauling is done, its usually the higher priced trucks moving the snow. I know one guy very well who bids out his tridem dump to the city at $225.00 an hour. He is last guy to get called out, works half the hours of the other guys and always makes more money. He said he originally bid so high because most snow work is night shift and he hates nights so he figured they would never call him. Joke was on him, on most cleanups he is called out the 2nd night.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those rates are a fu@#ing joke

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking like we'll be needing 18-24 cubic yards. The trick is we need it up by Flatbush, I have the name and number of the local gravel guy there. Waiting to hopefully see road bans lift sooner than later before we order.

Probably 3/4" road crush.

Trucking is by far the majority of the cost. If you have the room for a semi truck end-dump to turn around or back in easily, that’s typically the cheapest. All the trucks will haul so much weight, and depends on moisture and density as to how much volume you end up with. For good quality 3/4” crush, density usually falls just under 1.3tonne/cubic yard.

A standard tandem truck and pup would do 25tonne, so you’d be on the low end of what you’re looking for. Semi style end dump would give you 30tonne, closer to the 24yards. You can get more yet with a tri drive truck and a quad wagon trailer - 36-40tonne, but they take more room to turn around, and very difficult to back-up if you need.

Don’t forget about compaction when estimating how much you’ll need. If you want 6” for example, allow 10-20% for compaction depending on the quality of product (clay vs sand, shape of rock, etc), and what you’re pouring it over for a base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trucking is by far the majority of the cost. If you have the room for a semi truck end-dump to turn around or back in easily, that’s typically the cheapest. All the trucks will haul so much weight, and depends on moisture and density as to how much volume you end up with. For good quality 3/4” crush, density usually falls just under 1.3tonne/cubic yard.

A standard tandem truck and pup would do 25tonne, so you’d be on the low end of what you’re looking for. Semi style end dump would give you 30tonne, closer to the 24yards. You can get more yet with a tri drive truck and a quad wagon trailer - 36-40tonne, but they take more room to turn around, and very difficult to back-up if you need.

Don’t forget about compaction when estimating how much you’ll need. If you want 6” for example, allow 10-20% for compaction depending on the quality of product (clay vs sand, shape of rock, etc), and what you’re pouring it over for a base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s a guy that knows his chit. Great answer

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
This might help too, Tyler:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
This might help too, Tyler:

I'll have to go cruise some back roads and see if there's any new lease sites going in with leftover fabric

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You can get geotextile matting at Cascade, 156 st, 120 Ave.
not for a driveway, just a gravel pad to put the cabin on. shouldn't need the matting, but I'll look them up, thanks sir!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll agree those rates are low, but that's what they are here, and that's not for old junk trucks, that's for late model trucks, the guy I use his trucks are all under 5 years old. You can find guys cheaper then that. It's why my truck is pretty much only used for moving equipment, I would never hire it out for that kind of money.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s stomping Tom’s guy but he’s $225 hr. Please send the $85 hr trucks my way…hell I’ll give ‘em $110. I’m all smiles at that rate.

I sent him, but his English isnt the best so hopefully he finds you 🤣

Top Bottom