Let's get a real km to belt usage tally

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stats based on individual owner experience only. If we want this to have any clout or muscle with BRP we have to eliminate all the usual banter like "I know a guy that... I heard that.... plus how many km on each separate sled ect.
All the ones at snow peaks rentals are 165 x 3"(6 in total, including mike's own sled)

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
154" x 3"

315 km no belt issue yet

added vent before i brought it home tho ...going to remove foam and cut belt cover before next ride

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rented 3 850X 165's for 3 days in Revy last weekend from Full Speed and they are running Gates belts as a "test facility". They told me "10 sleds, 10 belts" plus we blew 1 on the second day. Just food for thought, an XM in our group blew 2 in the same day and he hadn't blown 1 since '13...

Driftbuster

Reaction score
We rented 3 850X 165's for 3 days in Revy last weekend from Full Speed and they are running Gates belts as a "test facility". They told me "10 sleds, 10 belts" plus we blew 1 on the second day. Just food for thought, an XM in our group blew 2 in the same day and he hadn't blown 1 since '13...
as in 10 sleds, 10 belts blown? I am very curious on how the gates belts work, I can get them from NAPA for cheep.

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I have ~500km on sled broke in both belts with 30km of trail rides to alpine. Have about 250km on each belt, zero issues.
Have removed all foam and sound dampening from entire sled including clutch cover. No additional venting, but may add some to the cover.
154x3

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes they have 10 165 850s and have blown 10 plus whatever carnage last weekend brought... those are rentals too, one had almost 1000km at the end of the weekend and the others were close in KM

Last edited:

Driftbuster

Reaction score
yes they have 10 165 850s and have blown 10 plus whatever carnage last weekend brought... those are rentals too, one had almost 1000km at the end of the weekend and the others were close in KM
So I'm assuming the Gates belts aren't really making much of a difference?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
To date: both sleds are 165" x 3" and have holes drilled in the CVT for cooling purposes. All felt and foam has been removed.

Machine #1: 69% break-in and 175 km, no problems

Machine #2: 79% break-in and 113 km, no problems

An update:

Machine #1: 40% break-in and 400 km, no problems

Machine #2: 67% break-in and 175 km, no problems

More holes have been drilled in the top of the CVT. Deflection has been checked and seems to be holding steady. I have never stopped and felt the clutches and the belts look normal.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
An update:

Machine #1: 40% break-in and 400 km, no problems

Machine #2: 67% break-in and 175 km, no problems

More holes have been drilled in the top of the CVT. Deflection has been checked and seems to be holding steady. I have never stopped and felt the clutches and the belts look normal.

How many of these kms are groomed trail or trail riding ?
A lot of difference from trail riding and over the hood snow ,wide open throttle riding.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you ever had the pleasure to ride with Ferniesnow but I can say that I have a few times and Ferniesnow is not shy of going off the trail, the only trail riding he does is to get into his secret deep stashes.
A lot of difference from trail riding and over the hood snow ,wide open throttle riding.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you ever had the pleasure to ride with Ferniesnow but I can say that I have a few times and Ferniesnow is not shy of going off the trail, the only trail riding he does is to get into his secret deep stashes.

He rides both sleds?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

He rides both sleds?

Lucky 7 was on the money! Why do you think all I ride is on a groomed trail or trail riding?

It is 10 km to the top and the rest is in the trees making trail. It isn't WOT chute climbing and in the Koots is has been difficult to find 2-3' of pow. I have ridden harder in other years but still in our snow conditions with no base there is a fair bit of throttle. The second machine has been ridden hard between a son out at Christmas and my wife struggling on some very cambered meadows with a bottomless 150 cm. BTW, over the hood snow in the Koots this year has been a struggle and besides was there any riding conditions asked for for the stats? All the OP wanted to know was the Km, type/size of track, and how many belts.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe this is probably why the comment was made, but yes.......... stats only please. Iknew keeping this thread on track was impossible hahaha

"This sled is a beauty. Gentle kms with not a lot of WOT. Very clean and well maintained. Never smashed nor damaged. Stored inside in a heated shop.

Basically, a stock 3" 174. Electric start and stock pull start, skid plate, stock scratchers, spare belt (brand new), spare plugs (brand new), screen kit, BRP extreme cover, TheThing cooker can and the stock BRP silencer, 3" RSI riser and the stock BRP riser, all the stock tools, wrap ready, and all the other stock items of an X model like heated grips, thumb warmer, X gauge package and X shocks. Heavy duty rear bumper and hitch are available for a slight extra cost.

Warranty for another year and a quarter, until December of 2017 and the kms are sitting at 4450. That is deceiving as these kms have not been abusive nor aggressive. Touring a lot of flatlanders around the Elk Valley and looking for them when they are stuck in the trees."

QUOTE=ferniesnow;2353101]Lucky 7 was on the money! Why do you think all I ride is on a groomed trail or trail riding?

It is 10 km to the top and the rest is in the trees making trail. It isn't WOT chute climbing and in the Koots is has been difficult to find 2-3' of pow. I have ridden harder in other years but still in our snow conditions with no base there is a fair bit of throttle. The second machine has been ridden hard between a son out at Christmas and my wife struggling on some very cambered meadows with a bottomless 150 cm. BTW, over the hood snow in the Koots this year has been a struggle and besides was there any riding conditions asked for for the stats? All the OP wanted to know was the Km, type/size of track, and how many belts.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I believe this is probably why the comment was made, but yes.......... stats only please. Iknew keeping this thread on track was impossible hahaha

"This sled is a beauty. Gentle kms with not a lot of WOT. Very clean and well maintained. Never smashed nor damaged. Stored inside in a heated shop.

Basically, a stock 3" 174. Electric start and stock pull start, skid plate, stock scratchers, spare belt (brand new), spare plugs (brand new), screen kit, BRP extreme cover, TheThing cooker can and the stock BRP silencer, 3" RSI riser and the stock BRP riser, all the stock tools, wrap ready, and all the other stock items of an X model like heated grips, thumb warmer, X gauge package and X shocks. Heavy duty rear bumper and hitch are available for a slight extra cost.

Warranty for another year and a quarter, until December of 2017 and the kms are sitting at 4450. That is deceiving as these kms have not been abusive nor aggressive. Touring a lot of flatlanders around the Elk Valley and looking for them when they are stuck in the trees."

^^^^^
Thank you . Lol
You got it

Either one of you dudes can come down and see what we ride. I'll even give you a tour! It you are afraid of my kms skewing the results so do the kms of the guys that presume to ride WOT all the time. Someone is grasping at straws and doesn't like the truth affecting the stats?????

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really??? I simply told you why the comment was made. I don't care how you ride, in fact would prefer have all sorts of riding styles polled as it may be helpful finding the cause of these issues. I started this thread and have been tracking totals to get the true reality of the situation. Grasping at straws and don't like the truth affecting the stats... I own an 850, I want these stats to be positive. Get real!!
Either one of you dudes can come down and see what we ride. I'll even give you a tour! It you are afraid of my kms skewing the results so do the kms of the guys that presume to ride WOT all the time. Someone is grasping at straws and doesn't like the truth affecting the stats?????

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Assaultn?
Old fernie just ate a bad shrimp . Lol
Lighten up Fernie it was a joke to see if anyone would catch what I was laying down . Lol
assaultn is on his game.
Cheers guys and let's get back on topic.
Sorry for derail .

Top Bottom