LED head lights

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HID's are still king for driving lights in my opinion as long as they are in projection lense. Some of the European reflector type headlights can handle HID's but you still aren't using that bulb to it's full potential until it's in a projector.

The new LED's are definitely getting better, projectors are getting better. Even some OEM reflectors work well. (Really like them on my sidewinder, until there is snow on them)..

Reasons I don't Like LED for driving lights:

#1they light up the road directly infront of your vehicle really well, which gives you the illusion they are bright, but you can't see much much past them. Almost like having interior lights on in the cab.

#2, LED lighting scatters a lot, turn on your LED fogs only to see the trees better. Hated that in my 2015 chevy, now have Morimoto DOT projector fogs and like them for lighting up the ditches.

#3 they absolutely suck for driving in snow as the light reflects way differently, and this is even in projector based LED housings. They also can't melt ice buildup on your exterior surface of the light without a heat element built into the exterior surface.

And I completely agree with ABMax.

To the OP, I have put a lot of miles on in those trucks, if you want to use the OEM headlight lenses I recommend doing the 6 -hi headlight mod ( fogs,lows,highs) so when you put the high beams on you have all 6 lights lit up.

Go to CT and buy the Silverstar Sylvanias in the orange package for the highs and lows, they come with 1 year warranty. And the Silverstar Sylvanias in the blue package for the fogs and spend some time aiming them.

If your headlights are beat, you can looking into some aftermarket guys that put projectors in the lowbeam on those lights, but there ain't much room with those due to the mounting setup on those headlights.

I would not waste money on LED's in those headlights again myself.

I like my LED's both pods and light bars for equipment lights, trailers, service/ backup lights but they still don't compete with a Properly setup HID for driving. View attachment 248995
I used to buy the silver star ultra, they last a little over the warranty period. Switched to the blue package & sacrifice a little brightness for a much longer lasting bulb. IMO.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m telling yah guys. I’m not affiliated with Performance LED at all. If you want good headlights, try them out. With the high beams I had 24000lumens, no need for a light bar.
I took them out of my Ram when I sold it and put them in my wife’s rig they were that good, when properly adjusted and Installed,.
Factory LED’s do not even come close.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to buy the silver star ultra, they last a little over the warranty period. Switched to the blue package & sacrifice a little brightness for a much longer lasting bulb. IMO.
I have heard that from a few peeps, for whatever reason I didn't have any troubles with them. I know a few that did the same as you for the low beams but still ran the ultras for highs. Also depends on what your budget is.

I'm a bit headlight snob, been running custom lights and aftermarket HID's since 2003-4 ish. Burnt a few housings in the journey and been disappointed a few times with LED's for my driving type/style.

Here's some comparisons on lights and lenses. The retrofit source has a piles of good info on lights and their pros and cons.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Headlight Revolutions. This was what they recommended for me.
Pricey. But cool.

How does one find out the regulation rules of head lights for Canada? They mentioned In the video it is not DOT approved for America.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am putting a set of JW Speaker 9600 model led headlights in my 389 Peterbilt can't wait and the lens are heated. I put a set of 5x7 JW Speaker headlight in my 2021 Western Star and they are amazing well worth the money.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Headlight Revolutions. This was what they recommended for me.
Pricey. But cool.

How does one find out the regulation rules of head lights for Canada? They mentioned In the video it is not DOT approved for America.

Here's some light reading for you:

Long story short it is illegal to install an LED or HID bulb into a housing not designed for it. It is also illegal to install a higher wattage bulb than the "standard" bulb would have. It's also illegal to have light output exceeding a certain candela value in areas of the headlight test pattern that is listed in one of these documents. It's also illegal to emit anything other than white light (blue or yellow).

Does everyone do it anyway, yup. Could you be ticketed, absolutely, but not likely unless they are extremely obnoxious.

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At work for all the equipment we syarted running Night rider led lights. They have street legal lights bars i put a set of side shooter lights on the motorhome for running the road around cadomin awesome light. And there led head light bulbs are good to

Reactions: RXN

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m telling yah guys. I’m not affiliated with Performance LED at all. If you want good headlights, try them out. With the high beams I had 24000lumens, no need for a light bar.
I took them out of my Ram when I sold it and put them in my wife’s rig they were that good, when properly adjusted and Installed,.
Factory LED’s do not even come close.
24k that’s gnarly! Haha

Think I’m gonna have to look into those guys when my speeddemons crap out

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m sure I’ll get told to fawk off, but please don’t install LED headlights. All they do is scatter light and blind oncoming drivers.

There - I said it. Have a great Sunday y’all. 👍

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m sure I’ll get told to fawk off, but please don’t install LED headlights. All they do is scatter light and blind oncoming drivers.

There - I said it. Have a great Sunday y’all. 👍
LED tech is still evolving, trying to make an LED emit light the way the halogens do has taken some time but they still aren't 100% there and that's why they get a bad wrap for blinding oncoming drivers.... most lenses weren't built to control all the extra light output.

Even in the factory spec LED headlights they scatter light in some scenarios, I know a lot of people that don't like them in fog or snow, and they don't make enough heat to keep ice melted off the lenses which can be a pain when mother nature doesn't cooperate.

LED's have their place, personally I don't think headlights in our winter climate is one of them.

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i tried all sorts of lights in my lift 4runner the best i have found is to replace the whole assembly with proper LED set up its more expensive then just bulbs but way better.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There - I said it. Have a great Sunday y’all.

The biggest thing is guys install them and do not lower or adjust the light height. If a stop sign is being lit right up on low beams than the headlights need to be lowered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest thing is guys install them and do not lower or adjust the light height. If a stop sign is being lit right up on low beams than the headlights need to be lowered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A standard headlight lens is a parabolic shape that needs the bulb filament in a very precise location to shape the beam. Obviously some really suck at road illumination but they generally dont blind oncoming drivers. Put a big ol firestick of LEDs in there and there is no beam shape at all. Just screw you, l can see owls in the trees.

Top Bottom