leave the throttle lever alone !

Dougie

Reaction score
Here is a question I have always had after being a mountain rider for 20 yrs. Why does almost everyone in the mountains modulate their throttle lever everywhere they ride ??
First o all,You are over working and overheating your clutches for no logical reason ! I can understand having to modulate the throttle riding in the trees where you need the manoverability
between trees,but not while you are trail riding or climbing !! I think everybody just likes to hear their engine rev. Playing with your throttle is counter productive when you need all the
momentum you can get. Not only that but the trails into the areas would be sooo much smoother if people did'nt want to hear their engine rev all the time.
Nobody pumps the throttle on a quad so why are they doing it everywhere on their sleds ???:unsure:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a question I have always had after being a mountain rider for 20 yrs. Why does almost everyone in the mountains modulate their throttle lever everywhere they ride ??
First o all,You are over working and overheating your clutches for no logical reason ! I can understand having to modulate the throttle riding in the trees where you need the manoverability
between trees,but not while you are trail riding or climbing !! I think everybody just likes to hear their engine rev. Playing with your throttle is counter productive when you need all the
momentum you can get. Not only that but the trails into the areas would be sooo much smoother if people did'nt want to hear their engine rev all the time.
Nobody pumps the throttle on a quad so why are they doing it everywhere on their sleds ???:unsure:

It all started with the modern 4 stroke 450 dirt bikes and quads lol. Those guy tend to do that so bad !

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of twitchy thumbs out there. It has its place but so many people are just waa waa waa every time they move. It's a peave of mine too.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bout the same as playing with your ding a ling ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding 20 years ago in the mountains with a heavily modified 2 stroke the quickest way to melt an engine was smooth, steady constant throttle position. Dead serious, calibrations were for high elevation, you had to keep the throttle moving to avoid burn down heading up. Even @ altitude the mid range calibrations where generally on the edge & better to be safe than sorry.........burping kept it alive.

Not necessary today especially on the groomed trails, seems to be a fixation on how to quickly destroy the groomers work.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the years of the race sleds most would burn down mid throttle its an old habbit to break i still blip the throttle to this day even tho i prob dont have to in the trees i dont seem to do it but i def catch myself on tbe trail doing it

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the carb days we run the motors ridiculously lean so ‘blipping’ was required to keep the sled from melting on the trail.

In todays world it’s not really required. I find myself more steady state On the trail. In the mountains I am blipping just like grave digger does in the main show!

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t know dougie howzer… I pound vodka with red bull and hit my throttle all day long,
with a loud exhaust.
doin just fine over here and don’t care about babyin my sled.
What’s next…loud throttle modulating police on the hill, lol

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding 20 years ago in the mountains with a heavily modified 2 stroke the quickest way to melt an engine was smooth, steady constant throttle position. Dead serious, calibrations were for high elevation, you had to keep the throttle moving to avoid burn down heading up. Even @ altitude the mid range calibrations where generally on the edge & better to be safe than sorry.........burping kept it alive.

Not necessary today especially on the groomed trails, seems to be a fixation on how to quickly destroy the groomers work.

You don’t even need to be heavily modified if you own a Polaris. I’m sure everyone here knows of a efi Polaris pre 16 that melted down on the trail when someones wife, girlfriend or daughter was driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first mountain sled was a 06 800 HO I was told I had to modulate the throttle (specifically stay of 6k). So I carried that over to my pros and now axys lol

On that note my first quad was a 300 2smoke poo, I also was on/off the throttle all the time. I carried that over to my 15 outty

Habits die hard I guess ahah

vrscr43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was overheating on the trail through the trees going up to the anthills at Renshaw.
I was cooling it down and a buddy told me to consistently blip the throttle while winding through the tress and it will not overheat.
Don't know why but it worked pretty good.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was overheating on the trail through the trees going up to the anthills at Renshaw.
I was cooling it down and a buddy told me to consistently blip the throttle while winding through the tress and it will not overheat.
Don't know why but it worked pretty good.

most of the new sleds especially the skidoo run extremely hot in the midrange trail riding. you are cooling the pistons with a quick shot of fuel when you do that

Dougie

Reaction score
Ya that makes sense it gets snow up in the radiator when you don't have enough track speed to do it. If you watch the sled videos even the pros
are full on and full off the throttle every time their on it. I rode with guys that always modulated their throttle as a habit and they always wondered why they cant'nt climb where I
can. I used to look at them and say It's easy" Pin it to win it" !!! . I would then jump on their sled and climb to the sky !! :ROFLMAO:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because it sounds cool… kind of like blipping the throttle on the Harley at the intersection or the muscle car before you turn it off.

Top Bottom