Lead shot

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an old double barrel black powder shot gun and gunsmith said no steel shot for two reasons.
1) Will wear ou barrel real quick.
2) Will likely split barrell even quicker.

Still have two pounds of 7 1/2 shot but looking for some #2 lead. Is there any where that it can still be bought - have not been able to locate any.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snochuk if it is an old blackpowder shotgun it probably has a damascus steel barrel, if that is the case you should not shoot modern smokeless powder loads through it. those types of barrels are actually spiral wrapped to form a barrel and can come apart with the higher pressure of the modern loads, many people have died from shooting modern loads through these old guns. do you have a picture of the barrel you could post up, or just google it. there are people that still do shoot them, but the integrity must be thoroughly inspected. just be aware that if it does come apart it can be right at your face as that is when the pressure is the highest

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snochuk if it is an old blackpowder shotgun it probably has a damascus steel barrel, if that is the case you should not shoot modern smokeless powder loads through it. those types of barrels are actually spiral wrapped to form a barrel and can come apart with the higher pressure of the modern loads, many people have died from shooting modern loads through these old guns. do you have a picture of the barrel you could post up, or just google it. there are people that still do shoot them, but the integrity must be thoroughly inspected. just be aware that if it does come apart it can be right at your face as that is when the pressure is the highest

It is a percussion cap shotgun as in pour the black powder down the barrel kinda gun, not a shotshell gun. I just need the lead pellets. Its a Navy Arms 12ga Magnum Deluxe - the gun itself is only about 30 years old and have the original bill of sale, it predates barrells made for steel shot though.
Just looking for a local supplier of lead shot if there is such a thing.

Thanks for responding and your advice as I do not want to blow up the gun.
Definatly no smokeless powder - 80-90grain bp charge recommended.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd lake a 12G smoker, you got me thinking. That's a fair charge, that's what I run in my .50

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd lake a 12G smoker, you got me thinking. That's a fair charge, that's what I run in my .50

Out of my .54 cal Pedersoli side hammer I fire a charge of 100 to 240gr depending on who I give it to to pull the trigger. Wise guy smarty pants type get the 240gr charge with a 485gr buffalo bullet. Brass butt plate no recoil pad, after that they don't make fun of smoke poles any more.
Out of my .50 cal Remington inline I get my best groups with 135gr charges with 240gr sabots.

I have not fired the 12ga double barrel and I have had it three+ months - that is just wrong to wait that long but still collecting components needed.
Been doing the black powder thing for a little over 25 years and still a hoot!

Attachments

• 12 ga BP R1.jpg
    12 ga BP R1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try wolverine guns and tackle out of reddeer i buy my lead shot in bags there and if not them bass pro shops carry it outta calgary

Top Bottom