Kitty Cat vs. Mini 120

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking at buying a little machine for my boy. He's turning 5 in early Feb. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in physical size of the Arctic Cat Kitty Cat and the newer Mini 120s. He's a little taller than most kids his age, and not sure if he would out grow the Kitty too quick. Anyone know roughly what ages the Kitty is good up to, vs. the Mini 120s? Looking for something used. Cheaper is better. I know that the Kitty is a little smaller than the 120s, but this is supposed to be a surprise, so I don't want to take him along to check them out with me.

Thanks,
Chris

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know what your budget is but a 300 Freestyle is an awesome kids sled also if you can find one.

Reactions: RXN

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My girl is 5.5 yrs old and she had a 2006 rev 120 till last weekend(wants razor 170 for spring instead), it is slightly taller than the mxz, prox, z-120 styles so would fit physically I would say an extra year. She had a kitty cat too and by age3-4 they are to small and slow/useless. My girl still has an elan but it is really to big for her yet so I think for the average kids the bravo and freestyles are to big and fast to start with at age 5. "I said average" meaning kids that have sledded, not us that fell out of the womb and grabbed the handle bars!
Buy any 120 and he will be happy for a year or two or three. Buy used for around 2000 or less mark and you will get a full refund or make a few bucks on it when time to upgrade to the next step up

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know about the other machines. I think that he is a little small for a 440, and the Freestyle is about twice what our budget is. I want to get him something for bombing around our acreage and the family farms. I just want him to get used to riding, and when he out grows this one, it will be passed to his little sister. That's when I will upgrade for him. So, back to my original questions, does anyone know roughly the age or size limits for the 120s vs. the Kitty Cat?

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I mentioned above 5 to 8 years is possible on a 120 size wise. I rode my girls 120 around! At age 5 he will not be happy with a kitty cat for very long
I have friends with kids on 120's at age 4 and others at age 7 . Performance additions are available for 120's too.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd also recommend the 120. They have adjustable governors on them so you can crank it right down until they get a feel for it. Also, parts for the 120s are easier to get hold of.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 4 year old he has been riding a kitty cat since 3 i had to put a lift kit on it other wise there useless he is turning 5 this year and ill upgrade next year so id say 3-5years old for a kitty cat

thebigm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.eagleriver.ca
I bought a Polaris 120 for my son when he was 5. He has since turned 8 and I lengthed the track by a foot and slapped in a Honda 200cc motor and It actually rips pretty good for and 8 year old.

Attachments

• Polaris 120 2.jpg
    Polaris 120 2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Polaris 120 3.jpg
    Polaris 120 3.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 243
  • Polaris 120.jpg
    Polaris 120.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 243

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm 36 years old, still ride and have fun on a 1987 kitty cat. So I'm not sure if age would be good to judge it. Lol. But I'm sure a 120 would be better overall and long term.

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah, thanks. I was thinking about that, and for the fuel for me to drive from Edmonton area, I might be better off just buying one close to here for more money. To go all the way to Kimberly and back, I'd probably spend $400-500 in fuel. So, if I could get one around here for about $1800 I'd be happy. Problem is the 120s seem to be a little more than that. I think the 120 would be better for him than the Kitty Cat.

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

camarogreg

Reaction score
I ended up buying a new one in 2011, I have more than one person that can use it so it will not be that expensive over the years I own it. There simply weren't any used ones for sale back then either. It is nice having a new engine that starts the first pull!

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can afford a new one I'd also go that route. They really hold their value well. You could probably cycle it through two kids and loose 100 dollars per year of use. And not have to worry about any repairs.

I bought an 08 mini z in near perfect shape for 1200 in the USA when the dollar was about par a few years ago.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
My boy is 5 turning 6 in March and is on a 83 bravo 250. He is to big for the 120. My 2 year old girl is now riding the 120. I would not waste the money on the 120 for a five year old. Get him a real sled that you can actually take on a decent ride. 120's are great if you have an acreage that the kids can just boot around the yard.

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a brand new one for my son when he was 3. Hes turning 5 here and still riding it. My daughter will ride it next year too. Yeah, 3000$ seems like alot but when all is said and done and they out grow it i will still get 2000$ for it. Cheap fun in my eyes.

Top Bottom