Kids first sled?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody who has chimed in, sounds like I’m looking for a 340 to 440 sled. I’m going to start doing a bit of research on them and I might contact a couple of you guys. That ski doo 380 may work the only problem is dad rides a Polaris lol.

I bought a 12 pro rmk 600 for my son when he was 13-14. It was good but got warm on the trails if he did ride it fast enough
I have a zbroz 36” with no sway bar, and shortened factory shocks..2.5 camo extreme track and electric start(which I recently took off cause he’s old enough lol). Until I put the zbroz front end on it wasn’t that great handling. Even tried promotion. Now its a pretty awesome sled for kids when they are able to manoeuvre a bit...bit big for you now but being a polaris guy something to look at in the future and pros are cheap...they are a awesome handling sled when setup. Anyway my take for when your son is older.
4B29BF1E-3502-417E-B5F6-A9F6125E3BF2.jpg

Last edited:

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on kids physical size, maturity and interest and where you plan on riding ....buy the sled thats too big/small, too fast/slow, etc and its an issue .... Other big one is budget.

Newer vintage sleds are way to go as the rider position changed a lot after the rev - most everthing before that would have knees in your chest and while fun at the time, were in no way comparable to the newer stuff.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
Started my son on my 09 146 800 when he was 10 and went straight to the mountain meadows it was a steep learning curve as he had to ride pretty hard to get anywhere let him ride my 163 and he could just tractor around no problem and actually ride. So the next Yr we got him a 13 Xm 163 and have never looked back he is 18 now and is my best riding buddy
a8671900d7a5fa27a86cfc8c2e2d7a6f.png
7f5f361842b4ce9b0ed21c1a7ca92411.jpg

Last edited:

Websy

Reaction score
Like the other guys have said people charge a bunch for the kids sleds. Just my thoughts but if you can find a good 'ol 80's Yamaha et250 it would be great. F/C, light and not overly powerful, I think it would be a great kids beginner sled for trails or around the farm.....if you can find one that is. (like me they are old as dirt)

Last edited:

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When my boy was 12 I started him out on a 2008 f5. It’s had electric start and reverse. Put a 2” 136 under it. He road the crap out of it.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
So I ended up buying a 95 Polaris Indy Trail 488 a little while ago, my son has quickly out riding it and his sister has kinda taken it over. Looking for something a bit bigger for him now. I’m thinking a Arctic Cat M5, anybody have experience with these sleds or have one for sale?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I ended up buying a 95 Polaris Indy Trail 488 a little while ago, my son has quickly out riding it and his sister has kinda taken it over. Looking for something a bit bigger for him now. I’m thinking a Arctic Cat M5, anybody have experience with these sleds or have one for sale?

I had a M5 for my wife it was a great sled. After 3 more sleds it was still her favourite. Sold it too Terry from Tand T, he also had great luck with it. Fun and easy too ride

Top Bottom